Gratitude - Mention At Least Three Things You

Violet31

Gratitude exercises fall under the category of self-care for me. Focusing on what has gone right always helps me put my depression into better perspective and a smaller container. Today, I have been grateful for: church; a sunny day; the majestic hawk who seemed to speak directly to me from her high perch; my pup-pups who sense my sadness and patiently sit by my feet to bring me comfort; enough energy to load the dishwasher and sort clothes; my dear sweet little mama; enough money to live on; enough to eat; a warm place to sleep; a quiet day of rest to cry alone; these boards; this topic of discussion. 🌷

Today would have been my parents' 42nd anniversary. I'm grateful that I turned out like my dad.

Waking up in my own bed, in my own room, with the sun shining in my own window, behind a locked door.

Putting chocolate chips in my shredded wheat at breakfast and eating a calm, quiet meal.

Finding surprises under the rocks in art therapy. I don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I like to climb. So what if he's the one who taught me how?

Aspirin. Again. 

Pain? I have a medical issue, and at this point in this treatment is where I quit the last time we tried it.  Apparently, the pain is a good sign, though.

Some of my own goo is about to get dropped and forgotten because I'm getting on my own nerves again.

Annoying lab partner A taught me something about myself.

Late afternoon sun. I feel kind of old saying that, but seriously, it is such a pleasure to sit in a patch of sun that's just hot enough to be pleasant and you don't worry about getting burned.

I'm grateful for the pleasure all kinds of music gives me.

I'm grateful that I can cook. Not well, but I can. I'm also grateful that I'm too tired to be that much of a perfectionist anymore.

I'm grateful that I have a sense of humour and I'm not as emotionally frozen as I was when I was in my teens and early twenties. And I'm not as angry as I was in my late twenties and most of my thirties. I'm still pretty angry, but I think it's a more useful kind of anger now.

I don't believe some of the ugly things I thought about myself last year any longer, but it's making me feel more hopeful. This requires a sedative, because I'm acting on that hope, and it's scary. 

Radical acceptance.

Good teachers.

Not feeling as much like I have to run at any moment, but it's still there. And not entirely unfounded. I'm one heart attack away from needing a new place to live.

Being resourceful.