Sign in to follow this  
2confused2

Libido And Antidepressants

One common side effect of depression is low (or a lack of) libido. One of the common side effects of antidepressants is low (or lack of libido). Has anyone experienced an increase in libido while on antidepressants?

Once, the first time I tried Wellbutrin... oh my God! wow! It was crazy- but unfortunately for me, my then-wife had no desire for me. That was extremely frustrating, to say the least. It wasn't that effective on my depression though, and I eventually started on another med. That med had a negative sexual side effect, so my doc added the wellbutrin back in to see if it would counterract that effect. This time, though no luck :(

I've had different experiences myself. For my wife, her AD really kills her libido. She is on Celexa and I think most AD's she's tried have had this side effect. For me, I'm on Zoloft. It actually increases my libido. Well, it might not, but it seems to. You see when I'm anxious I have ZERO drive so I'm not entirely sure what's exactly "normal" for me. I guess it could be a combination of the meds and me feeling well that causes the increased libido.

Citalopram/celxa killed my libido a few years ago, but back then I was in such a dark hole I really didn't care about drive anyway, right now I'm in a different place completely and also looking for something that doesn't **** it! The doctor has talked me through Sertraline which I think is Zoloft which I might be going on of things don't improve with just therapy, It'll be interesting to see how this effects it, I'll report back

Leila

Good question. I have never experienced an increase in sexual desire or function while on an antidepressant. I have experienced varying negative effects to my sexual function on all of my antidepressant meds both past and present. I have always had to weigh these adverse effects with the positive benefits of the treatment.

My questions are:

1. are there any effective antidepressants that don't cause some form of sexual function change? (if so which ones)
  2. is it worth sexual dysfunction to you from medication to effectively treat depression and anxiety?