Hi, I apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed on a different thread, but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've been on Zoloft for about 8 years, mostly on 100 mg and a few times up to 150 mg. I have panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder (and depression when the anxiety gets bad for an extended period of time. Recently, maybe July or August, I decided that I wanted to try to come off the meds because I was feeling so good and wanted to try life without them. I tapered down from 150 mg to 25 mg very slowly and had zero withdrawal effects.

Then in October, I was on a vacation and got a throat/sinus infection. The antibiotic they gave me made me very sick (stomach/digestive upset) and an upset stomach feeling is a big trigger for panic attacks for me. The panic attacks came back, with a vengeance. I went to my dr. and immediately went back on the Zoloft. For the first few weeks it was terrible. I couldn't leave the house or get out of bed. Eventually the Zoloft seemed to be kicking in a little (but i'm unclear whether it was the Zoloft working or if I just naturally started feeling a little better). It's almost three months later, and I'm up to 150 mg of Zoloft but it's just not enough. I feel better, I'm able to function, but I'm still not back to my old self. I panic in certain social situations, can't take trips away from home, and suffer from bad anxiety in the afternoons/early evening (I also suffer from SAD, so winter is always harder for me). Right now, I feel like the Zoloft is not working anywhere near as well as it's supposed to, or did before. My doctor wants me to wait a few weeks, go up to 200 mg and see if that works. If that doesn't work, then the plan is to switch to Prozac. (These are deemed to be the safest for pregnancy, and I'm in a stage of my life where I'm considering this. I'm not ready yet, but I don't want to find a good medication and have to switch it a year down the road. Please no comments about taking AD's while pregnant, I've already considered all the pros and cons, have done my research, and will make a personal choice when it's time and when I feel emotionally ready.) I also don't want to add something to my current medication that is unsafe for pregnancy.

I'm feeling so desperate these days and I'm just so sick of this, I want to find something that works. I'm afraid the Zoloft has just "pooped out" and I don't want to waste time taking it if Prozac could be the answer. So here are my questions:

1. Has anyone switched from Zoloft to Prozac with success?

2. I had very few side effects with Zoloft and it worked for me for a long time. If I switched to something else, is it possible that I could switch back to Zoloft someday and it would work again?

3. Has anyone ever reached that magical right dose of Zoloft and gone from bad to good just by upping a dose? Like the flick of a switch? (I'm wondering because right now I feel like a little improvement is not going to be enough, and I'm doubting whether going up another dose is possibly going to give me the relief I need)

Thanks for your help! Also, please note that I'm in therapy, exercise daily, eat healthy, do yoga, working on mindfulness meditation, in a healthy relationship . . . I think I'm just one of those people that needs medication.)

Hi Emily1984 and Welcome to the DF! I will try to answer your questions based on my own personal experiences:

1. Has anyone switched from Zoloft to Prozac with success? No, but I have switched from Zoloft to Cymbalta successfully and I've seen many posts where people have successfuly switched to Prozac from Zoloft.

2. I had very few side effects with Zoloft and it worked for me for a long time. If I switched to something else, is it possible that I could switch back to Zoloft someday and it would work again? Since we all respond so differently to medication, it's hard to say if after going off of Zoloft for awhile, it would work as successfully as it did the first time, although again many people have reported going back on with little or no side effects and just as much success. I personally had to change to a different mediation.

3. Has anyone ever reached that magical right dose of Zoloft and gone from bad to good just by upping a dose? Like the flick of a switch? (I'm wondering because right now I feel like a little improvement is not going to be enough, and I'm doubting whether going up another dose is possibly going to give me the relief I need).

I've read many positive posts from people who have increased their dosages.

I wish you luck in whatever decisions you make and thank you for posting. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Hello emily and welcome.

For some a med will work again and others not. The only way to know if Zoloft will work for you again allow your doctor to increase it and give it time to work. I heard many success stories so hang in there as time will tell. I hope it works for you.

Lindahurt

Hi,

I have been on zoloft twice and both times it worked

really well for me. It worked for 5 years the first time

before pooping out and now it has been 6 years without

any relapse. I was on prozac and paxil (not at the same

time) in between the two times I was on zoloft and they

did well also but zoloft is by far my favorite. I have not

had any side effects other than a little weight gain but

that is nothing compared to being depression-free.

I am also on abilify and neurontin at small doses and

this combo has me feeling 100% sympton free. The

abilify helps with anxiety and depression both and the

neurontin helps me with sleep issues.

I hope you find something that works for you soon,

best wishes,

starr