Sign in to follow this  
TryingToFindTheAnswer

Foods To Avoid When Taking An Maoi

My doctor prescribed me Parnate today. I first have to taper off Pristiq and Wellbutrin and then wash out for a couple of weeks before starting on the Parnate. Does anyone know where I can find the latest and greatest list of foods to avoid when on an MAOI? My google search is finding all kinds of results but I would like to get my hands on the latest and most accurate information.

I don't have any experience with Parnate or MAOIs. I have heard you can't drink or eat some cheeses (maybe all cheese).

You might want to check out the "Other Depression and Anxiety Medications" room or do a site search on Parnate. We have several threads about that med and other MAOIs. Maybe dietary concerns are part of those threads.

Edited by lindahurt

Hiya. I'm on parnate too. There are lots and lots of lists around - some are more lengthy than others. Suffice to say, if it isn't on a "short list" it should be fine. People want to cover themselves. I personally find that I am fine with pretty much everything on the list so I'm lucky. Not advocating trial and error at all, however. But don't get too much into the list like I did to start with x

You should ask the pharmacist and your doctor. I heard of cheese and alcohol being on the list of foods that you can NOT eat..

Edited by lindahurt

My understanding is that cured meats and cured cheeses are the worst offenders, along with other fermented or cured products, like miso soup, tofu, and alcohol

There are several Parnate users over in the "Other Depression and Anxiety Medications" forum, so you may try asking there or digging up some old threads in that forum.

Edited by lindahurt

I was on 90 mg Parnate for a while. I never ate most of the foods on the list, but the main food that I couldnt eat was soy sauce. Its probably best to ask your doctor for a list, but check the source of lists you find online, and the date it was published. I hope the Parnate helps!

If I remember right sour bread dough was one of them as well. check with your doc on that one but if you put some of the others togather Pizza is a no no.

Jabberjaws

I have been very fortunate...I am on parnate, the one thing I can not have is meat tenderizer. I stay away from aged cheeses and things that are not less than 48 hours old as in meats. But other than that I have not been bothered but most things. But not every one is the same and if you check online there are many different list to the point it get confusing..The best person to ask is you dr. Hope this helps.

I've just started on Parnate myself.

I found this guide online. My psychiatrist turns out to know of the doctor who wrote it - apparently he is cantankerous and sometimes controversial, but well-researched, and my psych thinks he is reliable.

The basic premise of the guide is that pretty much anything is acceptable in healthy doses - which often means smaller amounts than we might be used to. So even most aged cheese for example, he says, is generally fine, as long as it's no more than 25g in a meal, and not combined with other high-tyramine foods.

http://psychotropica...s_diet_full.pdf

Just a caveat - I'm not a doctor, and I'm just describing my own experience!

Edited by americandownunder

Hello!

I'm Bipolar II and was put on Parnate last fall for bad depression and the higher dosage I took was 20 mg because of the side effect. We then lower it to 10 mg for the maintenance dose and I was doing fine until this early summer when I became hypomanic, so we decreased it to 5 mg and then to 5 mg every two days. I was not taking a mood stabilizer because I tried many and for all kind of reasons, I had to stop taking them.

I fell back in major depression with lots of anxiety at the end of August so write away, we increased to 10 mg of Parnate, then to 20 mg and I am taking 30 mg but I'm am having lots an lots of side effects (I'm very sensitive to side effects with all medications).

I did also research the web and found all kind of lists of food to be avoided and food to eat with IMAO.

I'm not ready to go with the revised list of put earlier in this post by Americandownunder. To me it seems to allow almost all food but in very small quantity.

What I would like to know is are the following food ok to be eaten and are some of those in list of food to eat ocassionnaly only :

Kraft single slice cheese

banana

peannut butter

green beans

soy margarine (I assume an avoid food since a soy product).

Soy hydrolyse protein (avoided food also)

Also, in the document of Kathrynne Holden - Meal Ideas and menus : Avoiding Hygh-tyramine foods made easy - http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/documents/neurology/files/Tyramine%20Menu%20Book%2006227101.pdf she says to eat fresh produce (fruits and vegetable I assume, my basic language is French) without 2 days or purchase and to keep them refrigerate. Does that mean that you have to go buy your fruits and vegetables every 2-3 days and and not consume them after 2 days or refrigeration.

During last summer, I was not so concerned with the food avoidance because I was taking so little Parnate 5 mg and then 5 mg every second day but this is not the case now. But I never ate the avoided cheeses, soy products and most of all other foods on the avoid food list.

I thank you in advance for your answers.