Olanzapine (Zyprexa, Symbyax) Posts

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know there are other alternatives. I had an opposite effect on Zyprexa though. I found that it activated me and I was walking all day. I had to take it in the morning because I felt it would keep me awake if I took it at night.

Thanks for your replies.

I think it does make me feel slightly better in the afternoon but then in the morning the side effects are crap. I'm woozy, dizzy, dodgy stomach. Not sure whether this is enough reason to keep on or try another drug. It does seem to affect my eyes too especially when using the computer, I'm struggling to focus!! I'll keep on taking it until Thursday when I see my psych doc.

I am on 20mg per day and am hungry all the time and find it hard to resist.

Your appetite level will probably not change. I find drinking a glass of warm water (not tea or coffee) dulls the hunger pains. No calories and is good for you. Zyprexa is notorious for causing excessive weight gain (even if you eat sensibly, portion control, no snacks and get aerobic exercise.) If you are weight conscious or can't afford to gain, contact your pdoc if you are having problems with it.

20mg is an extremely high dose. My pdoc would not allow me to go over 10mg. Do you have severe manic episodes?

Sheepwoman

This is a very sedating med. I was startesd at 7.5mg for an especially manic episode (I'd been awake for a week.) It knocked me out for about 9 hoursa. The morning hangover was horrible. I was slowly reduced down to a maintenance dose of 2.5mg. It kept me asleep all night (6-8 hrs) and no morning hangover. I think you are experiencing the start-up side-effects. They will slowly subside as your body adjusts to it. I'm not sure what the half life is but you've not been taking Zyprexa long enough to have problems if you and your pdoc decide it's not right for you. Call your pdoc, let him know how you're responding and get his advice.

Sheepwoman

Thanks Sheepwoman. I took 2.5mg for 2 nights and was then to take 5mg. Its defo just a morning till lunch time hangover and then I feel kinda ok in the afternoon. I'm just fed up trying new meds just to feel normal and stable. Its so tiring. I know I should take time off work but I feel if I do this then I lose the routine and reason to get up in the morning, if that makes sense!!

Thanks again x

Well had my appointment with pdoc this morning and he says he could see a difference in me. Asked when the last time I felt good and happy, I said I couldn't remember!!! Anyway I've to continue on the Olanzapine for another week and I'll see him next week to see if its working. I do actually feel less anxious so hopefully its working :) Still have the hangover effect in the morning tho which is not so good but hey ho I'll keep persevering.

Well had my appointment with pdoc this morning and he says he could see a difference in me. Asked when the last time I felt good and happy, I said I couldn't remember!!! Anyway I've to continue on the Olanzapine for another week and I'll see him next week to see if its working. I do actually feel less anxious so hopefully its working :) Still have the hangover effect in the morning tho which is not so good but hey ho I'll keep persevering.

Glad its working for you and hopefully those SEs will subside soon. Its very exciting when you see a change for the better. Hang in there.

Lindahurt

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor said that I could have a bipolar disorder and prescribed me Zyprexa which help with my mood swings and my sleep. The dosage prescribed was 10mg. This dosage is wonderful for having a good night sleep but during the day I feel with sleepiness and lack of energy. I told this to my doctor and he said to reduce the dosage to 5mg. The problem is that now I do not have a good night sleep as before.

In this way I do not know what to do. If it is better do increase the dosage again to 10mg and live with the side effects or have another med to help with my sleep. Of course I will talk with my doctor about this but I would like your opinion.

Edited by elevenoceans

My doctor said that I could have a bipolar disorder and prescribed me Zyprexa which help with my mood swings and my sleep. The dosage prescribed was 10mg. This dosage is wonderful for having a good night sleep but during the day I feel with sleepiness and lack of energy. I told this to my doctor and he said to reduce the dosage to 5mg. The problem is that now I do not have a good night sleep as before.

In this way I do not know what to do. If it is better do increase the dosage again to 10mg and live with the side effects or have another med to help with my sleep. Of course I will talk with my doctor about this but I would like your opinion.

My pdoc prescribed zyprexa, but I didn

Maybe a dose in between 5 and 10mg would work. However, in some of your other posts, you mentioned increased depression and sexual dysfunction. I believe both are affected by Zyprexa, especially at higher doses.

There are other anti-psychotics you could try. Most are sedating and will help with sleep. The other alternative for sleep are actual sleep aids like Ambien, Restoril and the like.

Sheepwoman

Maybe a dose in between 5 and 10mg would work. However, in some of your other posts, you mentioned increased depression and sexual dysfunction. I believe both are affected by Zyprexa, especially at higher doses.

There are other anti-psychotics you could try. Most are sedating and will help with sleep. The other alternative for sleep are actual sleep aids like Ambien, Restoril and the like.

Sheepwoman

Hello Sheepwoman. Something must be wrong with my meds. Today I had 10mg of Zyprexa to help with my sleep but I couldn't sleep. I do not know if the Wellbutrin have something to do with it.

• 2 months later...

I'm on Olanzapine 10mg and 20mg of fluoxetine and since I've been on this I've put on weight approx 7lbs. I know this isn't alot of weight but I've had a gastric bypass and lost over 6 stone so this weight gain is really stressing me out.

I'm feeling better in myself apart from the weight gain so any advice you can give on how you have dealt with this would be appreciated. I've spoken to the doc who says that it could be the Olanzapine causing the weight gain and defo not the fluoxetine.

Please help.x

When I started Olanzapine I noticed a few pounds came back as well. It's a hit or miss on how your body will react but some anti psychotics are notorious for weight gain. I keep a lot of vegetables in the fridge for snacks, and walk a lot-seems to help me stay weight neutral.

Edit-forgot to mention that I have switched to Seroquel XR, but still have the increased appetite.

Edited by T on C

Olanzapine/Zyprexa is notorious for causing weight gain (of course, disclaimer, not everyone is affected the same). I understand your concerns, esp. after losing so much weight. Was prozac not working by itself or do you have another condition? If I'm not mistaken, all the anti-psychotics tend to be on the more weight-gain side...

Thanks for replying. I'm on the Olanzapine for anxiety and fluoxetine for the depression. Before Prozac I was taking Lofepramine but that didn't seem to be doing the trick so Olanzapine was added. I have to say that did help the anxiety and now am on the prozac I have seen an improvement so maybe doc will reduce me on the Olanzapine. I've been monitoring what I eat/calories etc and what I'm having I definitely shouldn't be putting on weight.

Thanks again x

Hello, my name is Joseph Wright, I suffer from somatoform disorder, depression, and psychosis. I have been placed on Olanzapine.

I would like people to share their experience of the drug, or more information on it, or possible alternatives. I find it helps but only cures a fraction of what is going on for me. It has dulled down my Visual hallucinations, but I am still getting very vivid auditory hallucinations. There are particularly distressing as the hallucinations express interest in making me want to hurt others, these are very real and scary thoughts for me.

Since being on Olanzapine I have gained 3 stone in 4 months, No matter how much Exercise I do, (3 mile run everyday) I am still piling on the weight.

I was suffering from insomnia, I started Olanzapine and it started to help with that, however more recently I am struggling to get to sleep.

Does anyone else have any knowledge or experience of this antipsychotic?

Joseph Wright x

It sounds to me like it is not totally effective for you. You need to bring this to the attention of your doctor. There are other antipsychotics out there that are not as notorious for causing weight gain and may be more effective for your symptoms.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I had went to my doctor and got a prescription for Zyprexa Zydis 5 mg ... I am currently on Wellbutrin 300 mg. I have done a bit of research to find that Zyprexa causes weight gain... is that true? I don't want to even bother picking up the prescription if it causes weight gain... I'm a 17 year old Female and not really wanting to gain weight.

please help?

Hi mirssy

Yes, one of the side effects to zyprexa is weight gain. But it can be managed if you just pay attention to your diet and exercise.

If you have been prescribed this medicine then I strongly urge you to discuss any concerns with your doctor, rather than just stopping the drug yourself.

Your doctor obviously thought it could help you and that you need to be on it.

Zyprexa has done wonders for my mood and I am glad I am on it despite having to be very careful with what I eat.

Please, talk to your doctor before making any decisions.

Good luck.

I liked Zyprexa when I was on it as it was the only med (so far) that's kicked the audible hallucinations to the curb. My appetite increased but I kept the weight off by having veggies in the fridge to munch on when the hunger hit, and doing a lot of walking.

okay, Thank you :) I will be sure to maybe let my mom know that if I start eating too much, to just let me know type thing. we do have a lot of veggies and fruits around so I'm sure I could munch on those if the hunger hits... also I love to walk so that works... it's a little hard to walk outside when there is snow on the ground but maybe I could go to a gym and walk around a track or something. :smile:

Hi. I'm new here on this site. I'm currently being treated for a unipolar depression with anxiety. My current meds are 40 mg Paxil, 1 mg xanax xr 2x/day (total 2 mg), 10 mg dexedrine sr 2x/day (total 20 mg) and 10 mg zyprexa. I started the zyprexa at 2.5 mgs this past May, and it was working great. Life events got in the way, and we gradually had to up the zyprexa to 10 mgs. I've only been on the 10 mg for 3 nights. I'm very concerned that this is a very high dose for someone who is not bipolar or psychotic and have been really anxious about it. Ironic, isn't it, anxious about the meds that I'm prescribed for anxiety. Is there anyone out there who is also on zyprexa, and at what dose?

It's not uncommon for dosage changes in these medications to cause more anxiety and I agree it does have some irony to it. I would certainly ask your Dr. why the choice to increase the Zyprexa instead of maybe the Paxil. I'd express your concerns that it is more commonly used for bi-polar and psychotic disorders, so maybe just voice it as a curiosity and concern question vs. a challenge, which I'm sure your MD. would understand.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Hello

I am currently on zyprexa 5mg as an augmentor of my anti depressant.

I am currently exceeding the recommended maximum dose of my anti depressant, so when my doctor adjusts my meds, it is the zyprexa that he adjusts.

I have found that even small increases in zyprexa have really made a positive difference. He once tried to wean me off the zyprexa but I started to go downhill, so I am back on 5mg.

So I would say I have a positive experience of the drug overall. I still struggle with the sedation side effect. He that been bothering you?

Anyway,as Maddielouise has said, best to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Your medication plan should be a collaborative effort between the two of you.

Best of luck.