Am I Over Thinking?

allalone6

Hi allalone6,

I personally love all kinds of cards and even the ones at Christmas. If an individual take the time to search for a card based on my relationship with them (friend, family, acquintance) and write a little note I am very appreciative and grateful, and even cherish the card more so than a gift. Sometimes people spend more thought in finding the right card, then running to the store and picking up any thing just to give a gift.

Lindahurt

I think it really depends. I am sorry to say I don't think there is an easy answer.

For some people, the whole point of gift giving is to spend a long time thinking about something that would really suit the person. Finding an original and personalized gift is something that some people just love doing and it comes naturally to them.

But at the same time, it is often very hard to come up with something that the person hasn't already gotten for themselves. A gift card gives them the freedom to make that choice themselves.

I know my partner really loves to get a gift card and she saves them up for when she thinks of something she wants.

Is there any way of asking people you are buying for what they would like or if they would like a gift card?

After doing a lot of Christmas shopping, I tend to get the attitude of "they'll get what their given!" that's when I tend to buy gift cards!

What are your thoughts on gift cards?

i kinda find them to be no thought involved. i mean, dont get me wrong, im always appreciative. I just kinda find it the easy way out just to make gift.

am i over thinking?

I don't partake in Christmas at all. It all seems too commercial. Happiness should not be measured on who spent the most money.

Gift cards can go either way. When you're obligated to gift someone you don't know very well, it's safe to give them a generic gift card redeemable someplace with broad appeal. They can be a great specific gift if the giver puts thought into it and gets a card to a specific retailer the recipient will appreciate. If you know someone who loves shoes but wouldn't necessarily want to spend a lot on themselves, a gift card to a shoe store they wouldn't otherwise shop at is a perfect gift. However, you can run into trouble if you're make the mistake of giving the kind of gift you want to receive without considering the taste of your giftee. I've gotten gift cards for places I have no interest in going to, and it bums me out to be so misunderstood.