New From Minnesota

Hey Everyone.

I've been depressed constantly for well over 8 years now. Um recently since my mom died on oct 11 this year. i've kinda just been in a daze, going thru the motions, slowly more and more numb. i'm 25 and my world crashed when i shattered my ankle and lost any chance at getting a free ride to college...

I really dont know what else to say. i'm usually the one trying help my friends out... i dont usually try and reach out. but its like its getting so bad, i'm thinkin of reasons why i shouldnt be around anymore, worse then ever and im scared.

maybe seeing how everyone else survives will help me.

i look forward to discussing with everyone.

Doug

Hey Doug, I'm from Minnesota too!

I can't imagine the feeling of losing your mother. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. They have a bereavement section here on DF for people who are grieving with loss. That might really help you! I'm glad you came here to reach out, the people here are great and have helped me get through many bad times the last few years.

I know what it feels like to feel like there are no more reasons to live. I struggle with that everyday, but I always try and think of things that I would miss, or things I wouldn't be able to see and do, or food I still want to try, or places I want to travel. Simple things like that seem to help me get through the day.

What are some things you like to do? Or would like to do?

I'm also sorry to hear of your shattered ankle, and the loss of your scholarship. Was that recently? Are you a football player?

:hugs:

Hey Everyone.

I've been depressed constantly for well over 8 years now. Um recently since my mom died on oct 11 this year. i've kinda just been in a daze, going thru the motions, slowly more and more numb. i'm 25 and my world crashed when i shattered my ankle and lost any chance at getting a free ride to college...

I really dont know what else to say. i'm usually the one trying help my friends out... i dont usually try and reach out. but its like its getting so bad, i'm thinkin of reasons why i shouldnt be around anymore, worse then ever and im scared.

maybe seeing how everyone else survives will help me.

i look forward to discussing with everyone.

Doug

I lost my mom in 2008 and a few months later, I was in the hospital with legionnaire's in a coma fighting for my life. When I woke up all I could think was my 7 year old son almost lost HIS mom way too early! But 7, or 25, or 43, it's never easy to lose a parent so I know where you're coming from. Being from Minnesota myself, I know the crappy cold weather is no help either! And depression is scary, being scared is one of the worst things about it. Just know you're not alone. I'm glad to hear you have friends because I had to go on disability after my illness and that made things worse as I can't go out to a job every day and socialize.

Try to hang in there. It's not easy, but some days are easier than others and the really bad ones make you appreciate the good ones even more. Welcome to the forum!

Hi. Welcome to DF! Losing your mom would be incredibly hard and it just happened too!

:console:

Your grief could be where a lot of your feelings are coming from - not wanting to be around, etc. And then losing your chance for college scholarship/aid is another huge blow. I think these issues could easily cause you to feel numb and in a daze. You've been traumatized, really.

I think as more time passes, things will look up a little. I'm sorry all of this has happened to me! We are here to offer encouragement and support.

Hey Doug, I'm from Minnesota too!

I can't imagine the feeling of losing your mother. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. They have a bereavement section here on DF for people who are grieving with loss. That might really help you! I'm glad you came here to reach out, the people here are great and have helped me get through many bad times the last few years.

I know what it feels like to feel like there are no more reasons to live. I struggle with that everyday, but I always try and think of things that I would miss, or things I wouldn't be able to see and do, or food I still want to try, or places I want to travel. Simple things like that seem to help me get through the day.

What are some things you like to do? Or would like to do?

I'm also sorry to hear of your shattered ankle, and the loss of your scholarship. Was that recently? Are you a football player?

:hugs:

i shattered my ankle my junior year of high school.

i dunno i dont really do much now adays.

Hello from a fellow Minnesotan. I am sorry to hear you lost your mother at such a young age. I lost my father to cancer when I was 21 so I can empathize with what you must be going through right now. Have you considered going to see a grief counselor? Or a priest at your church if you attend church? One week after my father died I had to start a new job which was both good and bad. It was a good distraction but bad in that I spent every lunch hour in the restroom crying. Then I sought out a grief counselor via my college in addition to a cognitive therapist. Both helped me process my grief and gave me more adaptive coping skills to deal with my father's death. Grief happens in stages which can feel like an emotional roller coaster too. I would suggest you seek out counseling now to help you adjust, and maybe find a grief support group. You can start with the counseling office at your local college or call around to churches as they can direct you to a grief support group. I know the U of M Healing Spirituality Center has a grief support group. You may also want to check out Pathways in Uptown, Minneapolis.

:santagrin:, Boy, there are a lot of us from Minnesota here! I hope it's not in the water or something, maybe from one of the 10,000 lakes!

Hah! Well I'm sure there is with the ten-thousand lakes surrounding us! Off topic: so far this warm winter weather minus the snowstorm is AWESOME.

:santagrin:, Boy, there are a lot of us from Minnesota here! I hope it's not in the water or something, maybe from one of the 10,000 lakes!!

Hah! Well I'm sure there is with the ten-thousand lakes surrounding us! Off topic: so far this warm winter weather minus the snowstorm is AWESOME.

I TOTALLY agree!!! I'm a 46-year-old single mom on disability and just bought my very first home last year. I LOVE mowing my lawn and planting flowers but shoveling snow.....not so much. I'm completely okay with a GREEN Christmas! And I have a dog who needs to be walked every day and she doesn't care how crappy it is outside. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for buying a home in Minnesota. I do love decorating with the green and gold....my son and I are HUGE Green Bay Packers fans! I don't think my neighbors are too thrilled though. Hoping for back to back Super Bowls!