After my steady downhill slide into massive anxiety and depression, my wife hauled me to the emergency room. I'm now being treated and the doctor told me it appears right now it will always be a part of my life. I would like to tell more later if there are folks interested in hearing it and/or can offer help or advice. There may be others going what I'm going through with what appear to be the same precipitating events in their life.

After my steady downhill slide into massive anxiety and depression, my wife hauled me to the emergency room. I'm now being treated and the doctor told me it appears right now it will always be a part of my life. I would like to tell more later if there are folks interested in hearing it and/or can offer help or advice. There may be others going what I'm going through with what appear to be the same precipitating events in their life.

I'm new too Nick. I hope we both find good advice and friends here!

Welcome to DF, Mere Nick,

There is a forum dedicated to members with anxiety and PTSD. Feel free to staqrt a topic there. You will receive many responses from our members who have anxiety and can relate to you more. You will receive a lot of support, too.

Sheepwoman

Hi Mere Nick and welcome to DF,

We are delighted to have you a part of DF! Of course, we don't mind listening to you as we are here to give encouragement and support each other as we face our challenges. You are (not) alone here.

I am glad you are receiving help and glad you have added DF as a part of your support team. Please make yourself comfortable and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt

Thank you all. I hope I am not alone here as Lindahurt says that I am. Surely a typo! The precipitating event for me was the realization a couple of months ago that the economic downturn is just about to ruin us financially. We made life plans regarding the house we live in, college for our kids, etc all based upon a far rosier outlook than what we have actually experienced, to say the least. I've looked a bit and haven't found any threads with folks talking about financial-related anxiety and stress and how they are dealing with it. My wife has been a saint, btw. So have the kids. Such a comfort considering what bothers me most is that I feel like I have failed them all and let them down.

(((((((((Mere Nick))))))))))))

The one thing you have not done is let your family down as you have no control over the economy. I believe the first step to feeling better during the recession, not after, is to really allow yourself to feel the emotions that this economy has triggered. The uncertainties, anger, fears, sadness, and depression are to be expected because you lost your job, peace of mind, and security has been jeopardized; perhaps you feel violated and rightly so. I am sorry but believe you can eventually recovery though it may take some time.

Gaining a broader perspective, even if the view is ugly, can help. It's natural to blame yourself if you lost you job due to the recession. But if you check in with your professional network and find out how bad the cuts were across your industry, it can help cut down on the self-blame. Understanding what you can't control can lead to a realistic view that helps you get ready for what's coming next. And as bad as things may be, your search for other employment may turn up new opportunities.

Talking about your feelings with others and coming up with a plan based the your resources, though limited, will help get you through these time. I'm wishing the best for you.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt

(((((((((Mere Nick))))))))))))

The one thing you have not done is let your family down as you have no control over the economy.

I will always feel like I did because of plans made that turned out to depend on too rosy a view of what the future held. I guessed wrong. It bothers me to see others maybe having to suffer some because of me.

I believe the first step to feeling better during the recession, not after, is to really allow yourself to feel the emotions that this economy has triggered. The uncertainties, anger, fears, sadness, and depression are to be expected because you lost your job, peace of mind, and security has been jeopardized; perhaps you feel violated and rightly so. I am sorry but believe you can eventually recovery though it may take some time.

I still have my job, but am certainly under-employed right now.

>>Gaining a broader perspective, even if the view is ugly, can help. It's natural to blame yourself if you lost you job due to the recession. But if you check in with your professional network and find out how bad the cuts were across your industry, it can help cut down on the self-blame. Understanding what you can't control can lead to a realistic view that helps you get ready for what's coming next. And as bad as things may be, your search for other employment may turn up new opportunities.

Talking about your feelings with others and coming up with a plan based the your resources, though limited, will help get you through these time. I'm wishing the best for you.<<

It appears that it may work out best to have a complete career change, anyway. I'm 52. If I can switch over to public service work, work in a 501c3, etc., then it should take a little over 10 years to make what just about put me under go away. The medicines the doctor has put me on seems to be helping, too. They at least seem to be helping my mind to quit racing so much that I can calmly and rationally put together a plan to deal with what seemed like a complete disaster two months ago.

But you are right about gaining a broader perspective. My mother used to tell me that if money can fix it, it isn't a REAL problem. That's been driven home since the impending financial disaster came to light. A friend of mine from church and college died a month ago with bile duct cancer. Another friend from church is in the VA Hospice dying with esophageal cancer. Another friend at church let us all know that he must have a bone marrow transplant to live.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Mere Nick

I'm glad you are getting the help you need, even if this is in a rather unexpected way. Now you can start to take your first steps to getting control of this.