Does Anyone Know About 5-Htp Supplements?

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has used 5-htp or knows about this supplement. I am done with antidepressants after experiencing unbearable side effects, and then more side effects after stopping! I can't win. I know it is not recommended to stop ADs cold turkey, but too late. I am still taking 1 1/2 milligrams of generic klonopin in the evenings for anxiety. I have been feeling very tired and wondered if I need something to boost my serotonin level, but I will only try a natural supplement-no more prescriptions that make me sick, and don't even help with my depression. I have tried a myriad of ADs since 1995. I don't even feel depressed now, just have NO energy.

There are many people on here who try various methods other than medication for their depression. I'm sure some of them can help you out. I know exercise, a healthy diet, and a good sleep regime are pretty high up there for many people here. I try to stick to them myself, but sometimes it's easier said then done. Just some suggestions.

Hopefully some people with experience with natural or OTC medicine can help you out more.

I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has used 5-htp or knows about this supplement. I am done with antidepressants after experiencing unbearable side effects, and then more side effects after stopping! I can't win. I know it is not recommended to stop ADs cold turkey, but too late. I am still taking 1 1/2 milligrams of generic klonopin in the evenings for anxiety. I have been feeling very tired and wondered if I need something to boost my serotonin level, but I will only try a natural supplement-no more prescriptions that make me sick, and don't even help with my depression. I have tried a myriad of ADs since 1995. I don't even feel depressed now, just have NO energy.

Yes, I've been on this for about 2 weeks. The last two days I've felt pretty good. I smiled without forcing myself to a couple of times. But for the majority of these 2 weeks I've been quite bad.

I've done a lot of research on the whole 5-htp thing though and I've seen some interesting opinions/studies.

Basically a couple of people have advocated that this should be considered before ADs because it has less side effects, and the studies done so far are promising. BUT it's worth noting that there's not many quality studies. But people find it helpful, I'm sure I find it helpful. I feel like I can function outside if I keep myself busy. The moment I sit back I sinc back down.

Anyway, that's my experience with them.

I've been trying a few different supplements, 5-htp, L-theanine, L-trytophan, valerian root. If nothing else, I do seem to sleep a little better and today my mood's better than it has been but I've only been on them a few weeks and like everything else, it may take a while to build up into your system. My pdoc said it was okay to try the supplements but not all at once, try one for a while, see if it works, try another, etc. I've also ordered ashwaganda, kava kava, holy basil, and jiaogulan because of an article I saw in Woman's World (in the waiting room of my pdoc, ironically). The article and the feedback online sounds promising but who knows. I guess I'm like everyone else here, just looking for a miracle cure. Try doing a google search on depression/anxiety supplements, that's what I did. Then if you decide to try one or more, hit Amazon for the best prices. Remember though, I'm no doctor. Do your research and check with your pdoc because some can have side effects. Good luck.

There are many people on here who try various methods other than medication for their depression. I'm sure some of them can help you out. I know exercise, a healthy diet, and a good sleep regime are pretty high up there for many people here. I try to stick to them myself, but sometimes it's easier said then done. Just some suggestions.

Hopefully some people with experience with natural or OTC medicine can help you out more.

Thank you for your kind response! :smile:

Yes, I've been on this for about 2 weeks. The last two days I've felt pretty good. I smiled without forcing myself to a couple of times. But for the majority of these 2 weeks I've been quite bad.

I've done a lot of research on the whole 5-htp thing though and I've seen some interesting opinions/studies.

Basically a couple of people have advocated that this should be considered before ADs because it has less side effects, and the studies done so far are promising. BUT it's worth noting that there's not many quality studies. But people find it helpful, I'm sure I find it helpful. I feel like I can function outside if I keep myself busy. The moment I sit back I sinc back down.

I appreciate your feedback-hope the good feelings continue for you! I took my first tablet today so we'll see how it goes. I am starting with one 50 mg a day. I hope I can avoid having nausea-makes me unable to function. I have to talk to Jesus A LOT.

Hang in there and may God bless you!

I've been trying a few different supplements, 5-htp, L-theanine, L-trytophan, valerian root. If nothing else, I do seem to sleep a little better and today my mood's better than it has been but I've only been on them a few weeks and like everything else, it may take a while to build up into your system. My pdoc said it was okay to try the supplements but not all at once, try one for a while, see if it works, try another, etc. I've also ordered ashwaganda, kava kava, holy basil, and jiaogulan because of an article I saw in Woman's World (in the waiting room of my pdoc, ironically). The article and the feedback online sounds promising but who knows. I guess I'm like everyone else here, just looking for a miracle cure. Try doing a google search on depression/anxiety supplements, that's what I did. Then if you decide to try one or more, hit Amazon for the best prices. Remember though, I'm no doctor. Do your research and check with your pdoc because some can have side effects. Good luck.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share all this great information! Sounds like you know your stuff :biglaugh:

I appreciate your feedback-hope the good feelings continue for you! I took my first tablet today so we'll see how it goes. I am starting with one 50 mg a day. I hope I can avoid having nausea-makes me unable to function. I have to talk to Jesus A LOT.

Be prepared to up the dose a bit if you feel quite depressed, also. If you find yourself lacking in energy later in the day, take 2 x 50 mg thoughout the day, rather than 100mg at one point.

Also, fyi today's been a great day..hehe

Be prepared to up the dose a bit if you feel quite depressed, also. If you find yourself lacking in energy later in the day, take 2 x 50 mg thoughout the day, rather than 100mg at one point.

Also, fyi today's been a great day..hehe

Thank you for your advice-will try that. Has the supplement affected your sleep at all? I am having a very bad day today. Most of my days are gloomy in varying degrees, but I will continue to run the race that is set before me.

So glad you have had a great day! :smile:

Unfortunately, there are people out there who seek to benefit financially from others' desperation and misery. In general, I think it is a good idea to seek out objective research before spending your money. Also, generally these supplements are unregulated, so that "purity" and concentration of the active ingredient is not standard.

I'm sorry you've had so much difficulty with side effects. Sometimes these go away with time. Also, sometimes there are fewer side effects when a different class of medication is tried (SSRI, SNRI, atypical, TCAs, MAOI).

It sounds like you have been through a lot. I wish you the best of luck.

A.

I just want to clarify. I didn't fall victim to advertising. I researched every possible supplement with a connection to mental health: Sam-E, L-Tyrosine, 5-HTP, other amino acids and vitamins. I even tried several herbs. I bought each one seperately and didn't buy the "combos" that were selling for a ton of cash. However, I went through so many, desperately trying to find something to "fix" me. The problem with many of these supplements is that they don't cross the blood-brain barrier, e.g. dopamine. This is why people with Parkinson's have to take a drug, Levadopa, and cannot simply take dopamine. You have to really be sure that the supplement that you are taking crosses the blood-brain barrier. With regard to 5-HTP, I don't know, but maybe someone far more knowledgeable than I will.

I just want to clarify. I didn't fall victim to advertising. I researched every possible supplement with a connection to mental health: Sam-E, L-Tyrosine, 5-HTP, other amino acids and vitamins. I even tried several herbs. I bought each one seperately and didn't buy the "combos" that were selling for a ton of cash. However, I went through so many, desperately trying to find something to "fix" me. The problem with many of these supplements is that they don't cross the blood-brain barrier, e.g. dopamine. This is why people with Parkinson's have to take a drug, Levadopa, and cannot simply take dopamine. You have to really be sure that the supplement that you are taking crosses the blood-brain barrier. With regard to 5-HTP, I don't know, but maybe someone far more knowledgeable than I will.

From wikipedia; Several double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials have demonstrated the effectiveness of 5-HTP in the treatment of depression,though a lack of high quality studies has been noted.

When combined with MAOIs or SSRIs, 5-HTP can cause acute serotonin syndrome.

That last one does suggest that it can cross over into the brain given how serotonin syndrome works(i think). But that's indirect stuff.

So basically it's on one of the ones to watch, and inquire about it if you think. I mean it's fairly cheap. It's not something I'd advocate or even as a first choice unless someone was preferential to it already though. Sorry to hear about the money you've blown though. Kinda curios as to why you didn't turn to medication (or back too) sooner though? If you don't mind me asking that is.

Edited by lindahurt
TOS

I was not able to continue with the 5-htp. I only used it a few days, probably not long enough, as I am desperate for some instant relief! Haha. (pretend laughing) Anyway, I just felt horrible taking it, and I started at least 2 weeks after discontinuing Pristiq (poison). I had horrible side effects taking the Pristiq, but tried to hang in there for 5 weeks, but just couldn't function. Then I felt crummy for another 2 weeks and after researching on the internet and asking about it on this forum, tried the supplement, but no more for me. I am just going to try to make do with my anti-anxiety medicine, which does relax me in the evening. I can't take it during the day because it makes me drowsy. I am still having ups and downs, but I cannot handle any more negative side effects. I know that medication is effective and completely necessary for some people. Prozac helped me for MANY years, then seemed to quit working. I am now at a point in my life where I just don't want to have to go through the trial and error of finding the right medicine. I TOTALLY DEPEND ON JESUS CHRIST, NOW. :bump::hugs: