• washing
    • checking
    • counting rituals
    • ordering/arranging
    • pure obsessive worrying
    • intrusive thoughts
    • hoarding
    • other. Please describe

I guess I am a worrier! I worry too much, think too much. It's like I can't stop some thoughts sometimes. I don't see nasty things or whatever in my mind or anything like that. I just worry about small things, for example when I come home from work, I worry about whether I locked all the doors at work or if I left any lights on etc. I can start thinking about it when I least expect it, maybe when I am about to go to bed or when I am asleep, I may wake up in the middle of the night and think Oh gosh, did I do that? and then I can't stop thinking about it for a while. I usually do work on telling myself not to worry too much and to think that I probably did everything right.

For example, one time I woke up in the middle of the night and was worried that I hadn't closed a window at work! I thought about it a lot and worried about it, tried to "see" the place in my mind and try to see if the window looked open or not, how I remembered it from before I left etc. Eventually I told myself that other people had been there after I had left, so the other co-workers would have checked as well to see if all the doors or windows were locked, and that means that IF I had left a window unlocked they'd have locked it in my place. I do try to remind myself that I am not alone in this world, and that other people are responsible workers/friends/ etc too :P and they can help as much as I can, and fill in where I may have forgotten something or made some mistake! :P

I'm a very responsible person, and I always double-check everything I do whenever I go outside, to make sure that I have all of my stuff with me or that I have done everything I need to before going out (like closing doors, windows, turning off computers, etc etc). Even though I know that I have done everything, sometimes I get worried and think about whether I did or not, and sometimes I go and check on things like putting my hands in my pockets to feel that I have my keys with me, or that I have my mobile phone and whatnot.

I had never really given this much thought, even though I am such a careful checker and worrier, but it's great you've started this thread! It really helps me to look at myself and helps me to undertand myself better!

:hugs:

My OCD is intrusive thoughts about my health. I feel I have ruined my health and I now obsess over little things that remotely may or may not have affected my health. Like hearing a loud sound...ill worry about hearing loss. Im cleaning something....id be worried about breathing in something bad. Its really affected my worklife too. ive quit jobs just cause i think they were ******* my health, whether they were or not its up for debate. so far all the tests ive gone for....mainly respiratory.. have given mixed results....they are all normal but. I mean i had a pulmonary functions test...done 2 times....and im just barely in the normal range. which is very disturbing...just the fact that there's some sort of evidence to support these intrusive thoughts.

I spent a year feeling sorry for myself and being depressed and feeling hopless...i wasted a year of university because of this ocd. The only reason im back on my feet is because ive had enough.....it doesnt matter whats wrong with me ive decided. it doesnt matter if im sick or experiencing something terrible...i have to cope....i have to function...i have to get an education or im going to end up a loser. I could have a terribly good reason for all my failures....but in the end im just a loser unless i can cope and keep on working.

I'm Pure O and intrusive thoughts. Mild counting rituals usually occurring at night.

Sometimes I think I have mind Tourette's. Everytime I hear certain words, I can't help but think of sex, and the conversation is no where near sex. This isn't like me, I don't know why I do this, and then I realize that this is a symptom of OCD. You think of your child and a violent thought about them being hurt flashes through your head. You are not a violent person and don't want to think these things. What about this one: If I don't slice this apple evenly (just thinking of an example here), my daughter will die. I've had that one TRY to creep up on me and then I always shout STOP in my mind and refuse to even go there. That one doesn't bug me but it's tried to slip in from time to time.

Us people with OCD have a really hard time because OCD takes things in life that most people dont think twice about and drive us CRAZY. I've been having a lot of problems lately. Some of them have to do with the fact that i'm 18 now and am expected to branch out and start becoming more independent. I take every little part of my future and disect it to the point where i drive myself crazy. A lot of it has to do with my insane family life but the more that i think about it the thoughts and feelings that torment me or of an obsessive nature.

IDK guys. Any help here? Any similar experiences?

. What about this one: If I don't slice this apple evenly (just thinking of an example here), my daughter will die. I've had that one TRY to creep up on me and then I always shout STOP in my mind and refuse to even go there.

I have this problem constantly. These kind of thoughts, similar to the one you mention go through my mind all day long. I'm so worried that if I don't do this, or that, that someone I love will die. It's horrible. It wears me out.

Edited by AquaViolet

You have to think why would God be so sick? There's lots more important things on God's mind than us slicing an apple. He's probably not even paying attention to us when we're slicing an apple. I have OCD and I had the nerve to challenge those type of thoughts and say no I'm not doing it and so far it's worked out ok.

Sometimes I feel like I've had all the possible kinds of OCD at some point in my life! My "other" is skin picking, that's one of the biggest problems for me, along with washing/contamination. Checking things happens when I'm really stressed, and I definitely do count but it doesn't really bother me, it's just something my brain does in the background. Certainly there's been some pretty bad intrusive thoughts in my head...sheesh, I forget sometimes how much my OCD affects me until I really think about it like this!

paranoia, worry, worry, worry

checking the weather on websites, my email and DF..LOL, or is all this because I have too much time on my hands????

Edited by solarflare

I have an obsession with electronics. Computers have to be perfectly clean not a spec on them. They need to be working at top notch and the best of there abilities or I freak and fix the problem even if it's the smallest little thing

Obsessive and intrusive thoughts mostly, I also spend a lot of time checking doors are locked etc which can be exhausting. I spent two hours making sure the TV was aligned in a position I was happy with which made me feel like I was going insane.

The worst part for me is worrying about the past and feeling like I can't let things go, I'm still thinking for example about a girl I had strong feelings for(she had feelings for me but the depression made me feel it was impossible to do anything) not seen her for 4 months but cant stop thinking who she's with etc so irritating. I ruminate over the same thing over and over again which can make me feel so helpless.

I sometimes get intrusive thoughts that can be about anything, mainly violence and thoughts based on my own insecurities.

Checking is my biggest problem...mainly my iron. I will unplug it, walk away and immediately return to check. Sometimes I have to actually go to the iron, touch the outlet next to it and say out loud, "The iron is OFF."

Another strange thing I do is write words that I hear. Not on paper, but in my head. I will see my finger writing the words in my mind. It's so distracting.

I have obssessive and intrusive thoughts. Although some washing as well. I can't use public washrooms or even the house toilet without washing it. I shower often. But its mostly the obssessive and intrusive thoughts that are the problem and wish would go away

I understand how you feel. I have obsessive and intrusive thoughts a lot and I have no idea how to make them go away. I can get past a lot of things that I'll do with my body like hand washing or checking things by just refusing to do it and walking away but I don't know how to change my thoughts.

I always have to check things again mostly my doors being locked checking the shower and sink esspecially if i just used it to make sure no water is coming out from it I also have unwanted thoughts at times lately it hasnt been to bad ....

Edited by matt4321

Germs and chemicals and broken glass. Germs are the worst for me. I also count and have lucky numbers and check...fridge windows stove etc.

Obsessive and intrusive thoughts. I also am a self harmer and I have rituals for that with numbers.

Michele