What Is "normal" Supposed To Feel Like?

Currently one 75mg Effexor, had been on Celexa for many years then decided I needed a change. The Celexa just made me feel numb most of the time and tired. Started Therapy about 18 months ago, has helped in some issues, not in some others. Went to see a Psychiatrist to get new meds. First was Wellbutrin, had little effect, doubled to 150mg. Loads of energy, couldn't sleep, agitated state, ego out of control, blood pressure up, but sure did like the energy it gave me. Next was Prozac (had worked for me years ago) did not seem to feel anything, then on to Effexor 75mg. Feeling okay some of the time, then decline into a depressed state. I am feeling frustrated, how am I supposed to feel if I am on the right medication and the right dosage? Happy? Numb? Energized? Am seeing my Therapist tomorrow and am going to push for some answers.

I'm guessing that you should feel happy some of the time, but you will also have times when you won't feel so happy. Antidepressants are not happy pills, and they cannot shield you completely from the ups and downs of life. That is why therapy is also important - to learn how to cope with the ups and downs of life.

Pick a neutral time for you and try to answer the question "How are you?" truthfully. If you answer "good" then your AD is doing its job. If you answer "just ok" then your AD is probably doing its job but may need an adjustment. If you answer "not so good" and you've been on your AD for 4-6 weeks, then it's time to have a chat with your doctor.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Thank you

Saw my therapist today and also am adding wellbutrin to my daily effexor meds. Hopefully this will allow me to function a little better. After 1-1/2 yrs. of regular therapy and trial and error on different meds. it got rather discouraging. I started listening to an audible book "The noon day demon", it really woke me up into taking a more aggressive approach toward making changes. Still in the early stages, but at least hopeful.

ilan,

I can totally relate when you say it's getting discouraging. I've been in therapy for 2 years and have been a science lab with different meds. We have similar med history, I also was on Celexa and it made me so tired I couldn't function. I'm now on Wellbutrin and Effexor and on my 2nd week of trying the combination. I'm still tired and starting to hit some lows. It's been affecting my life and work so I'm a bit worried but going to give it a try for another 2 weeks.

A few weeks ago, I just wanted to give up and stop therapy and meds altogether because I was so frustrated and discouraged. I know the feeling...you're trying so hard to get better and your heart is in the right place but why can't my mind get it together? The depression forums have really helped me get some encouragement and stick with the program. I've been waking up each day with the hope that one day it'll be better. I encourage you well... what you're doing is courageous and good. You identified a problem and now striving to find a solution...to be a better person. For that, you're pretty awesome.

Good luck with your meds and hope you provide updates on how its going. I'd be interested to know as well since we're on the same combination.

Thank you

Saw my therapist today and also am adding wellbutrin to my daily effexor meds. Hopefully this will allow me to function a little better. After 1-1/2 yrs. of regular therapy and trial and error on different meds. it got rather discouraging. I started listening to an audible book "The noon day demon", it really woke me up into taking a more aggressive approach toward making changes. Still in the early stages, but at least hopeful.

I always thought the words, "Sense of Well Being", were just words. Was I surprised to one day discover that a "Sense of Well Being" is an emotion. I was amazed; I had never felt that way before. I just knew the feeling I was experiencing was " A Sense of Well Being". I like it a lot. It was a profound revelation.

When I feel "Normal", I just know it. There is no doubt at all about what I am feeling is my "Normal".

These two feelings come and go, but I am learning how to enable these feelings. My chronic, life-long MDD treatment persistence is starting to pay off more and more all the time. I'm three weeks into my Viibryd and Adderall combo and this feeling of "Normal" is my first ever. I didn't have the energy to tie my shoes years ago, now I have felt normal and have a sense of well being at times. Reading and studying depression along with an eagerness to try new medications and combinations, various dosages, and a drive to get well is working. Darn slow for me, but working.

When I feel "Normal", I just know it. There is no doubt at all about what I am feeling is my "Normal".

This is how I feel too. It's nice to have a "Normal" day. Sometimes my OCD is really horrible, and other days it is more tolerable. The tolerable days are my "Normal". I look forward to those days, and I thank heaven when I have a "Normal" day.