Sign in to follow this  
Kalee

Pernanant Seroquel Side Effects

Hi,

I have just recently come off sequel after four years, my question; is the slow metabolism that results from the side effects of taking sequel permanent?

There are some positive things that I would like to note, as an artist, while on the medication, my fine motor skills became so impaired that my artistic ability was reduced to only being able to only draw stick figures, however after gradually weaning myself off the medication, I have found that I can once again paint and draw, has anyone else had this issue?

My speech has improved too, previously I would stop in the middle of a conversation, as I would loose track of what I had wanted to say, awkward in a job interview to say the least. This no longer happens. I have also found that my ability to remember simple things, like where I left my keys, has also improved.

The downside is I am having a little trouble sleeping, however I think that I would rather have a little trouble sleeping than the above.

If you meant by your term "slow metabolism" referring to a part of the metabolic syndrome (formerly called Syndrome "X"), one part of which is hyperglycemia (high blood glucose) better known as pre-diabletes, impaired glucose tolerance, or full blown diabetes itself---no, this is usually not reversible. And Seroquel, as well as most of the other atypical antipyschotics like Zyprexa, Risperdal, etc are well known to substantially elevate your risk of developing one or all of the above.

The other things that you mentioned, my experience with Seroquel always left me feeling less lucid---"stoned and zoned" is the best way for me to describe the feeling. This part usually DOES go away when you discontinue SQ.

Hope this helps, and I would have my blood glucose checked just to be safe if you haven't done so already---

If you meant by your term "slow metabolism" referring to a part of the metabolic syndrome (formerly called Syndrome "X"), one part of which is hyperglycemia (high blood glucose) better known as pre-diabletes, impaired glucose tolerance, or full blown diabetes itself---no, this is usually not reversible. And Seroquel, as well as most of the other atypical antipyschotics like Zyprexa, Risperdal, etc are well known to substantially elevate your risk of developing one or all of the above.

The other things that you mentioned, my experience with Seroquel always left me feeling less lucid---"stoned and zoned" is the best way for me to describe the feeling. This part usually DOES go away when you discontinue SQ.

Hope this helps, and I would have my blood glucose checked just to be safe if you haven't done so already---

I haven't had my blood glucose checked, I think I will. When you say this syndrome is irreversible dose this mean that the slow metabolic rate will never go back to normal, I was always a fit person of athletic build and had a good metabolic rate, while on Seroquel my weight continually fluctuated and at one point I gained 15/20 kilos, I usually weigh 60 kilos, 65 if I am using light weights with my exercise routine. I exercised 4/5 days a week while on Seroquel and could not successfully get my weight under control, now everything makes me gain weight and I have no muscle tone, its so annoying as I enjoy the benefits of staying fit.

I don't have any children but may plan to in the future, my psychiatrist actually told me that it is ok to take while pregnant, however I read a post from a lady who took Seroquel during pregnancy and now her young child suffers from severe brain developmental issues. It just seems that there are many bad issues with this drug that people are not informed of.

If I got tested for hyperglycemia than I would know if my metabolic rate is permanently damaged? Also, do you know how long it takes for Seroquel to go out of the body? Ty for this reply as now I know that I have some decisions to choose from and that I can get a test done

I haven't had my blood glucose checked, I think I will. When you say this syndrome is irreversible dose this mean that the slow metabolic rate will never go back to normal, I was always a fit person of athletic build and had a good metabolic rate, while on Seroquel my weight continually fluctuated and at one point I gained 15/20 kilos, I usually weigh 60 kilos, 65 if I am using light weights with my exercise routine. I exercised 4/5 days a week while on Seroquel and could not successfully get my weight under control, now everything makes me gain weight and I have no muscle tone, its so annoying as I enjoy the benefits of staying fit.

I don't have any children but may plan to in the future, my psychiatrist actually told me that it is ok to take while pregnant, however I read a post from a lady who took Seroquel during pregnancy and now her young child suffers from severe brain developmental issues. It just seems that there are many bad issues with this drug that people are not informed of.

If I got tested for hyperglycemia than I would know if my metabolic rate is permanently damaged? Also, do you know how long it takes for Seroquel to go out of the body? Ty for this reply as now I know that I have some decisions to choose from and that I can get a test done

OMG! I'm taking seorquel as well and I gained so much gain is not even funny. I'm about 10 kg. above my regular weight. Everyone comments on how much weight I gained... I've been considering for some time to ask my pdoc to get me off seroquel.

Hi Kalee,

Your glucose metabolism may or may not be permanently damaged---or not damaged at all, because it doesn't cause this effect in everyone who takes it. Usually this occurs in some people who already have other risk factors such as familial history of diabetes, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, high carb intake or some combination. For some people that take or have taken Seroquel, when they stop taking it everything returns back to normal (or were never abnormal to begin with)---for others it doesn't and unfortunately is permanent.

I would ask your doctor to do a complete blood panel including fasting glucose, A1C, lipid profile and if your fasting glucose comes back high and abnormal, then ask for a OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) in which you drink a sweet drink and then different blood samples are tested over the course of a few hours to see how you respond. The A1C test shows your average blood glucose over the last few months. In normal people, this value should be below 5.5 mmol, abnormal values would be above 6 mmol.

No need to panic or get too upset---chances are good that everything is OK, but I would check it out just the same just to make sure---good advice for anyone taking atypical antipyschotics.

By the way, it usually takes from 1 to 3 weeks for SQ to fully clear from your system---I would wait about a month before having the tests done---but always follow your doctors advice--

Thanks again for your advice, after trawling the internet for ages your post has helped me the most. It seems that no one whats to address the real issues caused by using atypical antipyschotics and the options that a person has available to them. I was proscribed Seriquel for acute psychosis, so I understand the need to take medication as a means to stabilize a condition. The psychosis has not returned and if it dose I now know what to look for in terms of early onsets of altered thinking states, ect. I would probably have to go back on an antipyschotic, but everything is fine and has been for some months. Aside from feeling a ichy/crawling sensation across my skin and having some trouble relaxing which has now disappeared too I have not had any other adverse side effects from weaning myself off this medication, if anything I weighed myself this morning and have just found that I have lost 10 kilos, which appears to have occurred over a few weeks.

Edited by Kalee

OMG! I'm taking seorquel as well and I gained so much gain is not even funny. I'm about 10 kg. above my regular weight. Everyone comments on how much weight I gained... I've been considering for some time to ask my pdoc to get me off seroquel.

It depends why you were prescribed Seroquel as I understand that doctors do not consider proscribing antipyschotics lightly because of the side effects that are inherent their use, I read that all antipyschotics cause weight gain, I was proscribed Seriquel for acute psychosis, so I understand the need to take medication as a means to stabilize a condition. I just had to "put up" with the weight gain as the altered state of thinking caused by psychosis was really confusing and it was something that I did not and still do not ever wish to go back to, additionally other antipsychotic medication had worse side effects than weight gain, for example with olanzapine, I would eat all the time as opposed to feeling like eating and doing so after I had just taken Seroquel, I have heard this referred to as "Seroquel munchies" and think its quite accurate, and I would type 'lol' next except the 'munchies rollercoaster ride' caused by antipyschotic medication is not funny at all.

Anyway, the psychosis has not returned and if it dose I now know what to look for in terms of early onsets of altered thinking states, ect. I would probably have to go back on an antipyschotic, but everything is fine and has been for some months. Aside from feeling a ichy/crawling sensation across my skin and having some trouble relaxing which has now disappeared too I have not had any other adverse side effects from weaning myself off this medication, if anything I weighed myself this morning and have just found that I have lost 10 kilos, which appears to have occurred over a few weeks.

I think I am going to get back into my exercise and light weights routine now that I know I am not doing it for nothing, I read that it is not suggested to come off an antipyschotic due to a whim if an individual suffers from a mental illness as there can be serious consequences however if the medication was prescribed for sleep than there must be other options available, I have read that Seroquel, long term can causes nervous system and brain damage. I hated the 'stoned' feeling that Seroquel caused and this feeling has become more obvious since I have weaned myself off the medication, as I have not had a relapse of psychosis I do not see a need to take it.

Edited by Spiritual_Wanderer

Hi Ferdy,

Thanks for the info - I've been taking seroquel and my cholesterol went up, and it's been a concern.

Could you point me to where you got your information about the permanence or lack of permanence of the side effects? I've been looking for studies, but haven't been able to find any.

Thanks

ADU

Hi Kalee

That happened to me too, it is so embarrassing. I'm naturally creative and artistic,and as a result of taking seroquel I lost this ability. It is very painful.

I also get a huge fuzziness in my brain in places where I need to calculate simple arithmetic problems. It's as if I never wenrt to school now. What a waste of my education. I can't calculate anymore. I have forgotten how to reason. again a true embarrassment. I used to be an A student. People I meet nowadays think I am naturally slow. They'd never guess I was once bright-its upsetting.

I am no longer achieving great marks in my currentr uni degree. I used to get credits distinctions. Now barely a pass and can only do 1 subject at a time wheras before i did 4 at a time. I stop in the middle of sentences as well and forget what I was saying. There is just an empty hole.