Sign in to follow this  
sober4life

How Can I Help My Mom?

My mom is the nicest person I've ever known but she has a major problem with eating too much. She is usually eating or drinking something all day long and she can't seem to stop. She tells me she hates eating but that doesn't matter. She says it's very hard when you're addicted to food because you can't stop eating food which is true. She has started eating sugar free popsicles which cuts down on the calories some but the obsession to eat hasn't gone away. Her eating has caused her to have diabetes that is very bad now. Insulin barely helps her anymore and I'm afraid she's going to die if she doesn't do something soon. I have to help her because I don't want her to destroy her life but I don't know how to help her.

When one is addicted to food, its like having an addiction with alcohol or another drug substance. It will hard to her to stop on her on, not saying it can't be accomplished. I would advise you to ask her about attending Overeaters Anonymous. She could get great support from that organization.

You can help her prepare her meals in advance so that she won't graze all day and night. She should have small healthy meals and a healthy snack between them. This will allow her to fed her body without feeling deprived. She could consider seeing a nutritionist to help her develop meals that would feed her body, yet be lower in calories so she could lose weight if she needs to.

She'll need encouragement and support as she changes her eating behaviors, so try not to be overbearing and critical. Remember she has a food addiction, and like other addictions it will take time and persistence. I wish you the best in helping your mom.

Lindahurt