Sign in to follow this  
EvinLejonhjarta

Positive Ocd!

Hi there, my first post here! - )

yes i agree, it made me a very reflective person, philosophical and spiritual and made me really examine the purpose of life and our place in the universe,

also, made me very good with essays in university as i would proof-read it so many times until it was nearly perfect = )

Glad to see you are all finding something positive and laugh about your condition.

Be Blessed!

My OCD has made me a much tidier person. And, as many people said, my hands are very clean :D

A tip for anyone who has a similar problem to me.. I have to set the volume on my phone to 1, 2, 4, 8 or 16 (max) which means that for a lot of music I either can't hear it or it's so loud it hurts my ears. I found that if I don't look at my phone (so I can't see the volume) then put it up and down randomly, then set it to a comfortable volume I can say to myself that it's probably on 1, 2, 4, etc and then it's fine :)

...well.. It's fine for an hour or two... Hopefully this helps if ppl have a similar numerical OCD (I think this counts as OCD anyways :P )

Hi.

I have found that just being ill no matter what illness/disorder,etc one has got it certainly changes us for the better.We become more understanding,more approachable with other sufferers anf just better human beings for a start.I like how I am towards others.I can relate to people better.I know that I can communicate with another sufferer so that we are on a similar wave length.

Years ago I never really understood much when someone tried to explain their health problem.Now,I'll give a lot of time just to get to know someone and help them feel comfortable.Thats the least we can do.

It does make us better and as we get on with our lives we have so much more to show for our lives.

I'm more organised in my daily life,I appreciate more things than I ever did and I'm a lot better off from these experiences.

Thanks for starting this topic.We need to be reminded that we are better than our healthier counterparts.

Edited by Denv12

I see things quite differently than 99% of the people I've met.

This is how I feel! (And how I am!)

We should start a band then!

All original Guns N' Roses members all had highly unique personalities, after all.

I'll be the lead singer!

:bathbubbles:

Lol I'm game! I can do the piano. What do we call ourselves? Hmm.. The Obsessive Weirdos? :joker:

we need Obsessive Weird L- something. so we can shorten it to OWL. to prove the point. that we are obsessive, weird, ... L's.

How about: Obsessive Wonderful Loving :) OR Open-minded Wondrous Lives!! That'll give us OWL too!!!

We're wonderful and loving people, we have wondrous minds who stay open to understanding others :)

Hey I wanna be the drummer, OK? :P

Have no sense of rhythm and cannot play drums IRL, but hey, I would love to be a drummer anyway in our special band :)

:hugs::hearts:

You people seem to be enjoying it. I too have it but i don't like it. :verysad3: At first i thought i was a perfectionist but i realized lately that it is irrational to be so and it is actually a "mental disorder"! I've learnt that OCD appears in people with above average intelligence. Well that's a good thing though. I'm logically good :computer: but the obsessions and the-repetitive-checking thingy is driving me nuts! I'm wasting too much time on it. My heart says, "c'mon weirdo, you've checked it thrice already, stop staring at it!" But my mind says "dude, don't you think you are missing something? Why don't you check it until you die!" Its like a siren's song. I'm unable to overcome that superior power inside me. Even if i ignore, i'm filled with obsessions. I'm losing control over my mind. I feel like my life is thrown into chaos! I've also read that this may lead to suicidal tendency if it is at extreme levels and a surgery is needed in that situation. Geez! What am i dealing with? And yeah, about this thread, the only good i see in it is, OCD will make sure that i never do things half-minded and i know exactly what i'm doing and yeah i'll be always clean and hygienic.

OCD is very powerful. The hard part is just making it focus on what you really want to focus on. Like if I go for a walk and it's focused on it and obsessed with it it won't let me give up until the end. If I say I'm going to walk 4 miles then I'll walk 4 miles no matter if I'm hurt and hopping on one leg to get there. Or if I have a job I'm gonna do better than anyone there because the OCD makes sure I do everything perfect. Oh and I never have to worry about having dirty hands that's for sure! :roll2:

oh, this made me laugh, I'm exactly the same. :laugh:

I can't wait to join the club.

Actually, I found something positive. Instead of over-eating, drinking (pop, sugary drinks or even become alcoholic), I just go water binging.

That's my way of dealing with things... drown your obsessions...with water!

Haha, I like that. I drink gallons of water. I wonder if that's a thing for people with OCD? My friend once said when she donated blood the staff mused at how her blood was unusually thick, and that was what she assumed to be the reason for her unquenchable thirst.

I see a lot of philosophers and writers here. That's me precisely. I am more artistically inclined, though I obsess with numbers. Sometimes I laugh at the fact that that makes me more balanced. 

I was just going to post the exact same thing! ocd has many positives..my ocd really helps me when I'm skateboarding! when I'm doing tricks I have to do them absolutely perfect! I could be trying the same trick over and over again for hours until I land it perfectly and trustee it feels so good when I do:)there are many famous skateboarders with ocd..two of my favorites are andrew Reynolds and Rodney mullen..There is even a youtube video about andrew Reynolds ocd or as he calls it madness.he has to tap things a certain amount of times before he can do a trick and Rodney mullen spent his whole life in near isolation skateboarding for 8 hours everyday he is a real perfectionist..it's amazing soke of the things he can do! ocd has made me a much better skateboarder and I'm kind of glad I have it :D

On 10/27/2011 at 7:01 PM, HighWithLife said:

I have OCD, anxiety, and depression. I'm writing a book about my life right now; being disabled. I have quite a story to tell and want to help out others by people reading my book and knowing they're not alone. A publisher is interested in publishing it. Got that deal lined up. Details to come in the future, so stay tuned. :Coopwink: I may even set up a web site once it goes on sale so people on here can get signed copies, rather than regular store bought copies...

I live in Ohio, USA, so if I get enough people wanting to buy it that live in my area or nearby, I'd be willing to set up a book signing. I am hoping to have it out in 2012.

Omg how did it go with your book ??

On 10/25/2011 at 12:52 PM, EvinLejonhjarta said:

When I've watched documentaries about OCD in the past, they all seemed to focus on the negative things about OCD and having these issues.

When I developed OCD myself, I started to notice there were many positive things too.

I am wondering, has anybody experienced anything positive about their OCD? Has it changed your perception of something in a positive way?

Please post anything positive that has happened to you as a result of OCD in this thread!

Cheers,

Evin 🙂

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

--- Kahlil Gibran You have to be strong. Strength of heart will carry you through the hardest of trials. 

OMG I simply love your sig! It is so spot-on and... Yes, scars and trials are just a tool used from Above to shape beautiful souls and hearts ...About your OP, though it is old, it is an ageless question I think. 🙂 So I'll chip in. I too think OCD has the potential to be positive to a degree. Of course, it is quite hard to cut the clutter and make it work for good. It usually is chaotic and not focused. If I start doing cleaning in my house and OCD kicks in, I may not want to stop until I am done... If I go to the gym and need to workout for 2 hours, I may make it while a person without OCD may not. The term "OCD" is made up of only negative connotations (obsession, compulsion, disorder). But to a degree, we "suffer" from an urge, a mandate to take things to their final consequences... The need to finish what we start, to be perfectionists and do things as best we can... At least it's the case with some sorts of compulsions... The lucky ones, the less negative ones... I for one think I suffer from HOCD (as explained by this page), and can't really find many positive factors... That's not to say of course homosexuality is bad per se; I at times wish I was actually homosexual and not have to suffer from this stupid HOCD! I mean, what I obsess with isn't really "nice" (as probably isn't either POCD or other sorts of "sociopath"-class OCD), but still, the compulsions keep me going at times...

I've turned my OCD into a career. I am a home handyman/remodeler. I'm very detail oriented. When I am talking to a new potential client I'll even drop on them subtly that I am a little OCD. I say it in a self-effacing way, not boastfully (even though inside I do feel a little cocky about it, I admit) They tend to like that when someone is working on their home. I see it as a badge of honor! I say employ your OCD to do something that makes you happy and/or makes you money! 🙂