Sign in to follow this  
EvinLejonhjarta

Positive Ocd!

When I've watched documentaries about OCD in the past, they all seemed to focus on the negative things about OCD and having these issues.

When I developed OCD myself, I started to notice there were many positive things too.

I am wondering, has anybody experienced anything positive about their OCD? Has it changed your perception of something in a positive way?

Please post anything positive that has happened to you as a result of OCD in this thread!

Cheers,

Evin :)

My own experience with OCD in a positive light has been that it has made me more accepting of people with mental health issues in general.

I have always been accepting of this since I have GAD and some other issues (claustrophobia, agoraphobia and so on) but developing OCD made me realize how much we need to support each other instead of trying to put others down and such.

It also taught me to just try to see that everybody is doing the best they can with what they got and it helped me develop this thinking into my life philosophy, in fact.

So, I find that having OCD made me a better person in a lot of ways :)

Evin.

Having the ruminating, obsessional part of ocd has made me deeply think about things such as, do we have souls, is there a god, what is the meaning of life, why am I here, what is my purpose, etc. I still haven't found any concrete answers, but I am still looking.

It has made me a deeply reflective, introspective person. An observer.

OCD is very powerful. The hard part is just making it focus on what you really want to focus on. Like if I go for a walk and it's focused on it and obsessed with it it won't let me give up until the end. If I say I'm going to walk 4 miles then I'll walk 4 miles no matter if I'm hurt and hopping on one leg to get there. Or if I have a job I'm gonna do better than anyone there because the OCD makes sure I do everything perfect. Oh and I never have to worry about having dirty hands that's for sure! :roll2:

Having the ruminating, obsessional part of ocd has made me deeply think about things such as, do we have souls, is there a god, what is the meaning of life, why am I here, what is my purpose, etc. I still haven't found any concrete answers, but I am still looking.

It has made me a deeply reflective, introspective person. An observer.

Same. I've become very thoughtful and observant due to my ruminating.

And in overcoming some of my ritual behaviours on my own, I realized I have a stronger will than I thought I did.

OCD is very powerful. The hard part is just making it focus on what you really want to focus on. Like if I go for a walk and it's focused on it and obsessed with it it won't let me give up until the end. If I say I'm going to walk 4 miles then I'll walk 4 miles no matter if I'm hurt and hopping on one leg to get there. Or if I have a job I'm gonna do better than anyone there because the OCD makes sure I do everything perfect. Oh and I never have to worry about having dirty hands that's for sure! :roll2:

oh, this made me laugh, I'm exactly the same.laugh.gif

I have OCD, anxiety, and depression. I'm writing a book about my life right now; being disabled. I have quite a story to tell and want to help out others by people reading my book and knowing they're not alone. A publisher is interested in publishing it. Got that deal lined up. Details to come in the future, so stay tuned. :Coopwink: I may even set up a web site once it goes on sale so people on here can get signed copies, rather than regular store bought copies...

I live in Ohio, USA, so if I get enough people wanting to buy it that live in my area or nearby, I'd be willing to set up a book signing. I am hoping to have it out in 2012.

Edited by HighWithLife

Having ruminating OCD is good for writing philosophical and psychological fiction, lol, I plan on writing a book some day.

Agreed. I've been thinking about writing either fiction (short stories) or an autobiographical piece.

I see things quite differently than 99% of the people I've met. Also, I am quite quick to connect the dots and assess risk in numerous situations.

Those can be good things as long as I maintain control of my flow of thoughts.

oh, this made me laugh, I'm exactly the same.laugh.gif

I can't wait to join the club.

Actually, I found something positive. Instead of over-eating, drinking (pop, sugary drinks or even become alcoholic), I just go water binging.

That's my way of dealing with things... drown your obsessions...with water!

Actually, I found something positive. Instead of over-eating, drinking (pop, sugary drinks or even become alcoholic), I just go water binging.

Wow, that sounds kind of cool.

:joker:

I see things quite differently than 99% of the people I've met.

This is how I feel! (And how I am!)

We should start a band then!

All original Guns N' Roses members all had highly unique personalities, after all.

Yeah I do this too. My eating problems would be a lot bigger if I didn't drink so much water. I would be lost without water binging. So another positive thing: we are not in danger of dehydrating.

All original Guns N' Roses members all had highly unique personalities, after all.

I'll be the lead singer!

:bathbubbles:

Lol I'm game! I can do the piano. What do we call ourselves? Hmm.. The Obsessive Weirdos? :joker:

I'll be the lead singer!

Lol I'm game! I can do the piano. What do we call ourselves? Hmm.. The Obsessive Weirdos? :joker:

we need Obsessive Weird L- something. so we can shorten it to OWL. to prove the point. that we are obsessive, weird, ... L's.

Edited by ippikiookami

My OCD is being a perfectionist with my finances and with cleanliness. Well, I'm out of debt and good and sanitary! So this is positive. I wish I didn't drive myself crazy about these things so much. I fret over balancing my checkbook because I know it's going to be such an ordeal.

But I have one heck-of-a-balanced-checkbook! And people can shake my hand confidently knowing that they have been washed recently. So this is good!

My OCD is being a perfectionist with my finances and with cleanliness. Well, I'm out of debt and good and sanitary! So this is positive. I wish I didn't drive myself crazy about these things so much. I fret over balancing my checkbook because I know it's going to be such an ordeal.

But I have one heck-of-a-balanced-checkbook! And people can shake my hand confidently knowing that they have been washed recently. So this is good!

Lol, its good to be clean and have a balanced checkbook. I sure both work to your advantage.

Lindahurt

Lol, its good to be clean and have a balanced checkbook. I sure both work to your advantage.

Lindahurt

I play lead guitar.

How about something like "ad nauseam" or "the neurotic chipmunks"?

:smilingteeth:

That's a very hard thing to do DefeatOCD so you should be very proud of yourself! :Coopclapping:

Edited by EvinLejonhjarta
changing user name of person mentioned.

I'll be the lead singer!

we need Obsessive Weird L- something. so we can shorten it to OWL. to prove the point. that we are obsessive, weird, ... L's.

How about: Obsessive Wonderful Loving :) OR Open-minded Wondrous Lives!! That'll give us OWL too!!!

We're wonderful and loving people, we have wondrous minds who stay open to understanding others :)

Hey I wanna be the drummer, OK? :P

Have no sense of rhythm and cannot play drums IRL, but hey, I would love to be a drummer anyway in our special band :)

:hugs::hearts: