Sign in to follow this  
keepintouch

Help With Relationships...

I am new to this board.

To introduce my situation briefly, I am a 22 year old college male and I have been diagnosed with depression for about 4 years now. I have had the symptoms for about 7 years but i was too scared to tell anyone I had a problem so i kept it to myself for about 3 years.

So most of my high schools years were taken over by this condition. I never dated and have no experience/ interest in dating when I was in high school. I am 22 now and as I see my friends pairing off and going separate ways, I kinda wanna do the same but I feel like depression is crippling to the point were its too hard.

Long story short, I want to date and but am too scared. I don't want to suffer a massive heartbreak. I also feel socially awkward at times and I just don't know.

I want to get one with my life and just live it but depression keeps pulling me back.

Any advice forum?

Hi keepintouch

Sometimes it can be easier to take the pressure off and just interact with others a little, this can help you to develop friendships with the opposite sex that may help you to feel a little more at ease with them in order to date them. Perhaps try joining a club or starting a hobby, where you can interact with women. Doing some volunteer work may help you too.

Also a date does not have to be a 'date', it can be going for coffee or just doing something together. Just remember that when you get to that point.

Trace

I think Trace is right. A lot of pressure is taken off your shoulders when you hang out as friends and then take it from there. A lot of friends become more than friends. But overall, you will have to reach a point where you just jump in and take a chance. It's scary kind of, but unless you take a chance on rejection, you will never find out whether you had a chance at all. You might miss a "yes."