• fundamentalist Christian
    • liberal Christian
    • fundamentalist Jewish
    • liberal Jewish
    • Budhist
    • Hindu
    • Muslim
    • New Ager/pagan/wiccan(specify)
    • Agnostic - seeker/disinterested (specify)
    • Atheist - dislikes all religions/Atheist - not interested(specify)

I guess I would be thrown into the mix of agnostic. I am not even sure I belong in this category. My speciality is not fitting in! I believe there are many spiritual realms I cannot categorize or name.

I believe in intelligent design so I believe there is some kind of designer. If I was created by something not quite as majestic, I could understand my flaws better. My weird angle being there is always a chance we could have been biological entities created by some one a little smarter. I see how science is developing and soon we will be able to produce similar results.

I do believe there is a soul or spirit residing within us, some kind of divine spark. Maybe something that will travel different astral planes or dimensions. Like the books I own, theories abound, I am not limited to a single path.

Edited by samhain7

I guess I am an agnostic seeker.

I'd like there to be something more than this life, but without proof, I just can't believe. I am afraid "faith" doesn't happen for me. I have no faith in myself, why should I have faith in a divine being?

My metaphysics are basically Taoist :shocked: and have always been, but it's not an obsession for me right now.

As for practice (as opposed to belief), I am a former Presbyterian, Catholic, atheist, Wiccan, agnostic, Muslim, and Buddhist.

There is a cycle I get caught in: I am drawn to stricter religions because of my OCD traits, but get pushed away because of my sexual orientation and become an atheist or agnostic. This cycle fuels my depression by leaving me spiritually rootless for awhile and giving me a rejection complex. I am hoping that Eastern philosophy will help me break it.

I am an agnostic seeker. Briefly raised Catholic (my mother converted when I was a baby), stopped going to church in late childhood, went through an atheist period in high school. Now all I know is that I don't know :) I like the idea of the community and habit of a church, and have been considering going to Unitarian Church just for the positive atmosphere & community aspect.

I suffer from existential depression and deeply fear death. Although raised in a very secular and non-religous houehold, I have grown to deeply respect many religious people and recognize the great comfort many get from their beliefs. Overall I think religion is a force for good.

But I cannot bring myself to believe. I am an atheist.

Pagan/non-practising Christian with a touch of Buddhism and spiritualist mix. I believe in the afterlife because of an NDE long time ago.

How would you define yourself? How would God define you? How would you define God? (fake/real/real fake) :innocent::ranting::buttrock::censored:

1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define

Born a christian from a christian family.

So try my best to live a christian life.

I like the principles as laid out in the bible.

I ticked the "Atheist" option. But I'm not sure if that truly defines me. I suppose I am a mixture of agnostic (because I feel we may never know the truth as to the existence of a God) and atheist (because I feel such an existence is unlikely). I'm not sure. I don't know too much about agnosticism to even try to classify myself with conviction.

I guess I'm basically an atheist. I used to be fundamental Christian protestant, from childhood up until about age 19. I found that Christianity was no longer helpful to me and how I see the world, and I haven't found anything else that I think works either. I am attracted to some Buddhist beliefs, but I'm not a Buddhist. I don't believe in a Supreme Being that is involved with our lives. I am open to the idea that there is something, though. I just don't know what. I sometimes call myself agnostic because of that, but I have recently been saying atheist because even if there is something, I don't think it's a god in the Christian sense of the word.

Ha! After going back and reading some of the replies, this one seems to sum up my position pretty succinctly. The only difference is I started to doubt around the age of, I'd say, 22.

Atheist - not interested.

My dad describes himself humorously-but-seriously as "Atheist apathetic - I don't know and I don't care." That sums me up too! :roll2:

I also chose agnostic, but I am really a Unitarian Universalist with Buddhist and Pagan leanings. Ecclectic, that's me! ... Like Sky, I think our energy changes form, but my faith is extremely malleable and is always changing. I am a little lost right now and am looking very much forward to living close to a UU church when we move in a few weeks.

Spirituality used to be a very large part of my life and I don't think it is coincidental that, as my spiritual connections have lapsed, my depression has grown.

~Madrone

This is me, too. I wasn't raised much of anything, and started attending a UU church in college. LOVED it. I kept attending for about 8 years (through various moves, etc.), but once I had kids I stopped- we live about 40 minutes from the nearest UU congregation. :( I KNOW I "feel better" when I'm active in a congregation, and I miss it so much. I need to make more of an effort. :(

Roman Catholic - there are few, few of us left. Many catholics (novus ordo), but very few traditionalists. I was many other religions over the years: raised liberal Protestant, later agnostic, then atheist, then fundamentalist, then Hindu, etc., etc. But finally Catholic after many, many years of study and searching. So it took so long to get here, but am nearly alone. Could be something much more popular (spiritual but not religious - whatever that means; novus ordo - Catholic in name, but don't really believe or worship the way Catholics have always believed and worshipped, or something cool like Wicca --oh yeah, I was that too!). Was even Eastern Orthodox (next best thing to RC for sure). But I am what I am and cannot change without losing my soul. So, Roman Catholic by the grace of God.

Rick:

Thanks for posting here (as well as your earlier post). And I'm grateful that you have found a faith (or the faith has found you) that offers real strength and grace to you. It sounds like your journey has left you on solid ground.

Blessings,

Tim

I was raised with one parent saying, "There is no God--there is nothing outside of science" and the other parent saying "God gave you to us, so you belong to us". I believe there is a God. I'm just skeptical that it's the same God represented in the Christian bible.

I guess I'm an agnostic non-seeker? I go with treat others like you would like to be treated, be kind to animals, respect the environment, and when you die, you're just dead. I was raised with that set of beliefs and for me, at least, I think it has little to do with my depression.

I am Roman Catholic who has questioned my religion but not my believe in God. I believe in God because of my personal experiences and not because the Church tells me to do so. My brother however is an agnostic seeker who questions my faith in God for me and to me. I don't know how to answer him as I am still searching for all the answers myself and know that they won't be answered. Still I wish I knew enough to answer him.