Sign in to follow this  
sleepypuppy

Insomnia And Remeron

I started on Remeron 2 weeks ago, partially for depression and partially for insomnia.

My doc put me on 15mg once a day and I'll allowed to self up it to 30mg.

I'm not finding I'm sleeping any better. I understand the anti depressant qualities take a few weeks to take effect, but I understand the sleeping is supposed to be fairly quick.

I had one day where I slept well, but since then I'm still getting my usual 2 hours a night.

Does the increase in sleep happen gradually too? I was expecting it to be a fairly quick response.. I don't get drowsy, I don't stay asleep, I don't even get dopey. It's like I'm taking a placebo? Is anybody else like this?? It's honestly like I don't take a darn thing... I'm so frustrated! I need sleep badly!

Remeron does help with insomia for many. I am not a doctor but since you are averaging about 2 hours of sleep and your doctor has given you the ok to increase up to 30mgs, maybe you should go ahead and increase it a little and see what happens. You need more than 2 hours of sleep.

Lindahurt

Actually the sleep effect often diminishes the higher the dose - though your mileage may vary.

I found that the chewable tablets made me sleep more than the pill.

I've recently been on Seroquel with the Remeron, and that combination knocks me out like nobody's business.

Yeah I did self up it to the 30mg to see if that helps, but no luck so far. I see my doctor on Tuesday.. so hopefully he can give me an idea as to if/when this might help. I've had this insomnia for a good 8 months now and I'm so tired... just so physically tired. I'd be thrilled if I could sleep for a week straight! I was kind of hoping the Remeron would help with that... so far no luck :(

The bit of sleep I am getting though, is filled with the weirdest, more vivid dreams ever. The kind where you lay in bed for a while after going "What the **** was that about!"

I was put on amytriptyline (probably spelled it wrong) before Remeron to help me sleep.. with no luck. I know I've got a high drug tolerance, but this is crazy!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's feeling like this with this med. I know that if I could just get some sleep that it will help the depression a lot.

Clearly we are all different...mirtazapine instantly made me a zombie for the first month and a half. In the first week I'd fall asleep within an hour of taking it whether I liked it or not. After that the tiredness was really noticeable for the first three hours after taking it, even if I didn't actually fall asleep. However my problem with it was more in the mornings when although I was awake, my brain didn't feel like it clicked into gear before midday. After a month my dose was increased to 30mg which is meant to be on the cusp of being less sedating. After another few weeks at 30mg I began to feel more like myself, though still needing naps, and was able to sleep for just a normal number of hours.

Interesting that you mention amytriptyline SleepyPuppy, many years ago I tried that for migraines and I had precisely the same side effects as with mirtazapine (at the time I decided I'd rather have migraines than side effects, however I was opposite with mirtazapine - I'd take zonkedness over depression any day!). Maybe they are similar so if one didn't help you, then the other wouldn't either.