Nostalgia.

dyspoid

Hey guys. I have been getting pretty intense nostalgia. I have been feeling it mildly since I finished high school in '09, and it's been getting pretty bad. I miss it pretty bad right now, and I don't even know why. It isn't limited to that, but a lot of my childhood too.

It's pretty crushing, I don't even know why.

I was wondering if it's something that you guys get too?

Hey guys. I have been getting pretty intense nostalgia. I have been feeling it mildly since I finished high school in '09, and it's been getting pretty bad. I miss it pretty bad right now, and I don't even know why. It isn't limited to that, but a lot of my childhood too.

It's pretty crushing, I don't even know why.

I was wondering if it's something that you guys get too?

This probably won't help much, other than to let you know you are not alone... I wish I could say something to help.

Yes! As a matter of fact just yesterday... drove by football stadium and a bunch of tailgaters. It made my really really sad. I miss the days when my friends and I would plan these huge tailgate parties. We would start really early, and it would just be so exciting and fun. My reaction was to sink deep inside and dwell on my depression, and feeling like my life would never be that way again. I just hope to eventually be well enough to be happy with my life in the present, so that I might have a positive reaction to nostalgia.

I can relate to you so much... it is so painful for me. We are exactly the same age by the way, I would have graduated in '09 had I not dropped out of hs. I miss the 90s so much... I would do anything to go back to those days. You're not alone. I saw The Lion King and bawled my eyes out

Edited by LostGirls

LostGirls user_popup.png

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

I can relate to you so much... it is so painful for me. We are exactly the same age by the way, I would have graduated in '09 had I not dropped out of hs. I miss the 90s so much... I would do anything to go back to those days. You're not alone. I saw The Lion King and bawled my eyes out

I hate it. I try to avoid things that make me think of my childhood, because my mind becomes flooded by memories, and it tears me apart. It's painful in a way I can't really describe, but it hurts a lot. The 90's were perfect. Everything was exactly how I wanted things to be. But now everything has changed, and because of depression, it feels like these days can't compare to those at all, in relation to even the most minute of details. I guess I could kind of 'feel' the 90's, but I can't 'feel' today. I miss s***ty 90's pop, I miss watching the Simpsons every night, I miss primary school, I miss pokemon and I miss being young and niave. Grr.

I would give anything to be 19 again (1969). That was the best year of my life. I know I can't go back, but I can remember that year with great happiness and mentally relive the moment. It always lifts my mood to think of that time. I always wonder what happened to some of my friends back then (actually some of them are quite famous in the music industry.) I've had great years since, but as an adult, I was a bit more "conservative."

You're just starting out in life. I think you miss the safety of childhood and hs where you were "sheltered" and protected. Now that is gone and you are having to stand on your own and make your way in the world. It's a "shaky knees" feeling but also a rite of passage from childhood to adulthood that we all make. Everyday forward should be an adventure, an exploration of self and learning experience.

If you dwell in the past and let it be all consuming, it will depress you.

Sheepwoman

Everyone misses things about the past. The ironic part is we only remember selective parts of it. I'm sure when you were back in highschool your life wasn't pure bliss. At the same time, you obviously had some great times there, and it's only natural to want to return or repeat that. But the past is the past...

Course that's easy for me to say. I HATED school...especially highschool. For me it was filled with loneliness, self-harm, and extreme anxiety and depression. Even with that said, I do find myself looking back from time to time. I had more friends back then, and life was simpler back then. I miss it for it's simplicity. But that's it. I don't want the friends I had. They were all bad friends, and we all dissolved at one point or other for good reasons. Sure, I miss the companionship, especially when I stop and compare it to college. But I like myself right now more than I ever did back then (and I still HATE myself). I hate looking at photographs or being reminded of times back then. It makes me feel like I'm in my old, disgusting, monstrous skin.

The flip of the coin is my twin sister. She is mildly autistic and has ADHD and a learning disability. She writes everything she ever does down in a journal in an effort to try and remember it. Since she can't remember it, she WORSHIPS it. Everything about the past just fascinates her endlessly. She watches old tv shows and looks through photo albums and reads adolescent fiction and is always asking about events in the past. My mother tells her lies or twisted versions of the truth, she writes it down and is happier for it. That's why I never object to it. To some extent I think my sister is happier and has an easier life than I do. But at the same time, I can also appreciate all of the hardships she's had to endure along the way. Forgetting might make her happier, but I'll always prefer to remember the past. After all, it makes me who I am.