I'm Obsessed With Male Celebrities

It started when I had an "intense" crush on a celebrity when I was 11. I had posters and would spend so much money on every magazine in case he was in it! That crush ended for a year I was "normal".

At first it was very very hard to concentrate and focus on the fantasies.

Then when I was bored I dreamed up a man in my mind at age 15 I'd replay the fantasy over and over.

After that one it was about a very well known celebrity who is still popular. The fantasies flit between various actors and footballers! I get jealous when I hear their dating...anyone! In the fantasy I'm a very talented gorgeous actress and I'm dating them. I'm intimate with them.

I know I started it to escape reality. At 15 I didn't want to think of my past and honestly wasn't mature enough to handle the truth/my past.

Now the fantasies "are there all the time" I even have arguments and very violent fights with celebs I don't like, with family members, a few friends mostly when they argue with me, I have to save the day over and over...I never win? It's strange. It just repeats itself.

I want them to stop. I've told my therepist most but not all of this but feel too embarrassed to talk deeply.

Edited by Mizz_B

Hey

i get really embarrassed talking to my doctor about pretty much anything, the same for when I used to see a counsellor too. But i eventually bit the bullet and talked about everything, I just kept reminding myself that they're professionals and they won't judge me. Its helped loads with getting things sorted and fixed.

Hope this helps :smile:

How long have you been seeing your therapist about this? True, it does take time for a patient to build complete rapport with a therapist he/she trusts, so just pace yourself if you're not quite ready to tell him/her every single detail. ;)

As far as celebrity obsessions go, be careful what you wish for...you might get it. Trust me.

It started when I had an "intense" crush on a celebrity when I was 11. I had posters and would spend so much money on every magazine in case he was in it! That crush ended for a year I was "normal".

Then when I was bored I dreamed up a man in my mind at age 15 I'd replay the fantasy over and over.

After that one it was about a very well known celebrity who is still popular. The fantasies flit between various actors and footballers! I get jealous when I hear their dating...anyone! In the fantasy I'm a very talented gorgeous actress and I'm dating them. I'm intimate with them.

I know I started it to escape reality. At 15 I didn't want to think of my past and honestly wasn't mature enough to handle the truth/my past.

Now the fantasies "are there all the time" I even have arguments and very violent fights with celebs I don't like, with family members, a few friends mostly when they argue with me, I have to save the day over and over...I never win? It's strange. It just repeats itself.

I want them to stop. I've told my therepist most but not all of this but feel too embarrassed to talk deeply.

• 4 weeks later...

How long have you been seeing your therapist about this? True, it does take time for a patient to build complete rapport with a therapist he/she trusts, so just pace yourself if you're not quite ready to tell him/her every single detail. ;)

As far as celebrity obsessions go, be careful what you wish for...you might get it. Trust me.

Hey all. Well, Mizzy B. We have a lot in common. Disregarding the fact that my name is also Melissa B....

I am not to the point of having fights with celebs in my head, but only because I imagine the ones I want to speak with, all like me because I am this amazing actress. I become obsessed with men who are on television shows and I watch them constantly and drool over them. I have at times crossed into "stalker-like" behaviors because I've gone to filming of a tv show, waited at cast doors and been near the tour buses at a concert, walking by endlessly hoping to catch a glimpse of some of my "unicorns". I play it off as really liking the show, but in reality, I think it is mostly an obsession with the guy. Something that helps me cope with this is thinking about the fact that they are regular people who have hardships in their lives and who are FAR FROM PERFECT. I think I idealize them as being perfect men to be with when in reality I think it may be their character I am attracted to a lot of times. Also, no one is perfect.

In response to the response to your post, I am honestly curious about when you said "trust me" because my mind automatically goes to you being given a chance of being with a male celebrity, and I think "who!?" "why not me?!" and "why are you teasing me, I would love that"

I compare my boyfriend to these unrealistic expectations and often convince myself he is not good enough for me because he doesn't look like them/have their job/fame/money....but I always come to the realization that he is here for me through everything...and where are they???

In response to the response to your post, I am honestly curious about when you said "trust me" because my mind automatically goes to you being given a chance of being with a male celebrity, and I think "who!?" "why not me?!" and "why are you teasing me, I would love that"

I've been attracted to "Dave" (nobody super famous...more than likely, no one on this board would even know of him, but I have to be on the safe side and just say Dave ;) for over 3 years now. He lives in a different country, and I've only met him twice. First time, nothing much happened. Second time I met him was 5 months ago, also at a show. Well, we ended up having sex. I have never had a problem with casual hookups for the most part, so I assumed I would be able to get on with life after Dave, just like I've always done. Wrong. Although it was made clear that it was just a one night deal (apart from a few raunchy emails a week later which i didn't mind in the slightest), I have been a complete mess ever since. I still think about Dave everyday, often all day, and I just end up spinning my wheels going nowhere. I have to pat myself on the back for resisting the daily urge to contact him because the situation is simply too illogical to work out in my favor long term. Furthermore, I haven't heard from him since those emails right after our hookup, so why make this a wild goose chase?

Not sure if this is Celebrity Worship Syndrome rearing its ugly head, some kind of sad Limerence issue or both. I've only ever felt this way once before, and that was not for a celebrity.

That's what I meant when I said Be Careful What you Wish For....i would hate to see another fan go through such a mind-f***. I always thought I would be completely cool with casual sex with Dave; unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Then again, hey, these things affect everyone differently!

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I have the same problem. I've been thinking about this celebrity (I will just call him "M"), for almost a year. I kept telling myself don't be delusional your never going to be with him, especially because I had an obsession to another celebrity previously for almost three years that ended with me on my bedroom floor crying in agony. It was one of the worst feelings I ever felt and I never want to feel that way again. It doesn't matter how much you tell yourself not to be delusional because when you keep having intimate dreams about someone your heart gets confused....it is a mind-f@$k. Your mind says "your being ridiculous", but your heart says "we belong together". It's SO annoying. Well, I found out yesterday that he's dating someone and it bothered the hell out of me. Then I was p***** at myself because I was actually bothered by this. I decided that I have to stop cold turkey. That is really difficult. I find myself thinking about him and his girlfriend, and what they are doing together. Once again, I'm p***** off because I'm thinking about people who dont even know I exist and probably wouldn't give two sh&t$ if they knew I did. Now I have to be in this dreadful reality and not in the fantasy. I daydream to fulfill something that I'm missing in my life, but I have to stop caring about other people and start caring about how I'm going to make a better life for myself......but it's SO hard. :(

• 3 months later...