Venlafaxine + Mirtazapine

I have taken this combo, it didn't really work for me it was just to strong, the side effects were just awful! Plus I gained about 30lbs in 8 weeks! However my auntie took it and it worked really well for her! She didn't have as many problems as me with the side effects, she did gain alittle weight not anything as much as me! I did lose all the weight when I stopped them! You got nothing to lose trying if your pdoc thinks its a good idea!

I am currently taking this combo. Venlafaxine XR (aka Effexor XR) 225mg and Mirtazapine (aka Remeron) 45mg.

Mirtazipine will work in about 7 days as an antidepressant. Suggest you take Mirtazapine before bed because it will make you sleepy (helps almost immediately for insomnia). You may feel groggy in the morning until you get used to mirtazapine and it increased my appetite quite a bit as well. If you don't want to gain weight, suggest you maintain exercise and stay away from carbs (especially snacks) eat raw veggies instead. This drug helps with anxiety as well.

Effexor XR.... for me, therapeutic dose for depression is 225mg. Helps with anxiety as well. Can also raise blood pressure at doses above 150 mg. Takes about 3 days to reach steady state and for me took a little over 4 weeks to work as an antidepressant. You will most likely experience some start up side effects as well - there is a long list of them - ask your pharmacist for a drug fact sheet. Don't miss a dose of Venlafaxine - you will experience unpleasant withdrawal side effects within a matter of hours. Also, this drug is the worst of all antidepressants to get off of. Most find very unpleasant discontinuation side effects for weeks after stopping taking it.

As with all antidepressants ymmv. Best to follow your doc's directions exactly and keep in touch with your doc on side effects and how you are feeling. Good luck to you!

Has anyone had success with the combination venlafaxine + mirtazapine (Effexor + Remeron)? If so, what has it done for you?

Hi

I am currently taking 150mg of efexor and 15mg of mirtazapine. I had previously been on venlafaxine but it wasn't working as well. When starting the mirtazapine, last December, I noticed an immediate improvement. Like others I have gained some weight but not too much and it has settled down now. I also experienced some grogginess in the mornings but this did not last. The worst side effect I experienced were horrific nightmares, from the mirtazapine and night sweats from the venlafaxine. I have switched to Efexore which is the brand name and don't have any side effects now. This combination has really helped me I feel like a member of the human race again. There are still ups and downs but not like in the past. The mirtazapine helped alot with my anxiety.

Good luck.

I am currently taking mirtazapine so I am well aware of the weight gain. I also take Wellbutrin, but this combo is just not enough to help me get out of this really black depression. I took Effexor along with Wellbutrin over a decade ago, and that combo did not help me. I asked the question because I want to have several options to discuss with my psychiatrist. I will also be discussing going off ADs and restarting an MAOI in a few weeks.

I'd still like to hear stories - good and bad - about the mirtazapine + venlafaxine combination. I know that we're all different, but I'm looking for hope here.

Edited by lukn4hope

Ok I only have 1 more thing to say my Auntie was taking the Efexor Remeron combo it worked for a while then quit on her, she was put in a psyc hospital where they did a rapid detox on her off and put her on an MAOI, she actually commited suicide in hospital within 7 days of starting the MAOI! Just be careful unpredictable effects! Not saying this is a normal case but be aware!

Ok I only have 1 more thing to say my Auntie was taking the Efexor Remeron combo it worked for a while then quit on her, she was put in a psyc hospital where they did a rapid detox on her off and put her on an MAOI, she actually commited suicide in hospital within 7 days of starting the MAOI! Just be careful unpredictable effects! Not saying this is a normal case but be aware!

I'm so sorry to hear that. And shocked. That's why I'm afraid of going off my meds for 2 weeks and going on an MAOI which can take 4 weeks or more to work. That means about 6 weeks without any relief at all.

She was a really sick woman she even had ECT as well! I do think its just 1 of those cases mind, doesn't mean that you will have the same problems, I came off the 2 meds quite quickly and did fine! Its just important to have a good suport network around you! I would really like to know how you get on with MAOI as I have tried everything for depression well 17 types of meds in total. I have given up on AD's now as they just dont help! All the side effects of Maoi's scare me a little, not so much the food ones!

She was a really sick woman she even had ECT as well! I do think its just 1 of those cases mind, doesn't mean that you will have the same problems, I came off the 2 meds quite quickly and did fine! Its just important to have a good suport network around you! I would really like to know how you get on with MAOI as I have tried everything for depression well 17 types of meds in total. I have given up on AD's now as they just dont help! All the side effects of Maoi's scare me a little, not so much the food ones!

It's looking less and less likely that I will agree to go on an MAOI. The reason is because I would have to go off carbamazepine, a med which prevents me from degenerating into a suicidal state. Also, I read a very discouraging study on Parnate and its effectiveness that doesn't give me much hope. Basically, the study said that venlafaxine + mirtazapine is slightly superior to Parnate for treating treatment resistant depression, but that both options have a response rate over placebo of less than 20%. But when it comes to venlafaxine + mirtazapine, almost everyone agrees that the venlafaxine needs to be given in a high dose.

I know what you mean about giving up on AD's. That's why I am trying anticonvulsants (AC's) and atypical antipsychotics (AAP's) with at least a small amount of success. We know for sure that AC's and AAP's work because epilepsy and psychosis are not suseptible to the placebo effect. However, I still am not getting the mood lift that I need, and that's the reason that I'm still stuck with AD's.

• 10 months later...

Hi - I'd just like to know if this thread is still active. What has come of your switch to an MAOI?

I started mirtazapine about two and a half years ago after switching from a combination of Sertraline and Trazodone.

At first I was sedated on Mirtazapine but this wore off within a few weeks, though within the last year or so Mirtazapine has not been enough to kick my depression. I was then put on this combination of Mirtazapine (45mg) and Venlafaxine (150mg), which again is a strong combination generally that is made more potent if it works with your body chemistry. Both Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine are very strong medications for all conditions prescribed to them in their own right and even more so in combination with eachother. Interestingly, if it's not the correct combination for your body chemistry, then as you've said it has more potential to make your symptoms far worse.

Mental health is a double-edged sword and the trick is to find the correct combination of medication, therapy and support for that one person at that particular time. Of course, it can change in future as will most things but there is the correct combination out there! Don’t give up! After suffering severe depressive psychosis for 10 or so years, I have been on this combination for a year and a half and my depression has finally lifted, although the depressive residue still lingers as does my psychotic symptoms but I have finally come off both Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine and feel like a relatively healthy human being.

Tungsten Aromatics.