Which Med Has Helped You With Motivation?

Motivation  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which med has helped you most with motivation?

• Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
    • Citalopram/Escitalopram (Celexa/Lexapro, Ciprolex)
    • Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
    • Fluoxetine (Prozac)
    • Mirtazapine (Remeron)
    • Paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat)
    • Sertraline (Zoloft)
    • Venlafaxine/Desvenlafaxine (Effexor/Pristiq)
    • A tricyclic AD (immipramine, amyltriptyline, etc.)
    • An MAOI (please specify)
    • A med combo (please specify)
    • Other (please specify)

The only thing that really helps me is Adderall. I take it for my ADD. I just started Pristiq about a month ago. I hope it helps. I also take 10mg of Lexpro. I'm also taking other meds but not for depression (hormone therapy, blood pressure med.) I've tried so many other meds for depression that didn't work. I'm also seeing a psychiatrist. I just want my life back! I never want to leave my house. I haven't been anywhere in 10 days :( I don't have a phobia or anything like that, I just want to stay home.....

I've tried about 10 different medications and nothing has worked.

The only thing that helps me is oxycodone and I don't take it too often.

Oxy stops the crazy thoughts spinning around in my head and gives me relief from my anxiety and depression.

I wish more research could be done on oxycodone and why it helps with depression.

I guess the meds that give people motivation are not intersted in depression forums anymore. Once they get better its good by forums.

I am too looking to find motivation. The only thing that has helped me is adderal however, i dont want to rely on amphetamines for motivation.

I really would like to know if MAOI like parnate, would be good in amotivational.

I guess the meds that give people motivation are not intersted in depression forums anymore. Once they get better its good by forums.

I am too looking to find motivation. The only thing that has helped me is adderal however, i dont want to rely on amphetamines for motivation.

I really would like to know if MAOI like parnate, would be good in amotivational.

It should be, it'd increase dopamine and norepinephrine which tend to help.

I've had that same problem with any of the SSRIs I took. I'm currently on Wellbutrin and it seems to be helping tremendously with the motivation. I haven't been on it very long, so we'll see if it continues. But so far, I've had more motivation on Wellbutrin than anything else I've tried.

Glad I found this topic, I have been looking for some info on this for a long time. I have tried more than half of those meds, and most destroy any motivation in fact make me less motivated. I'm barely motivated to begin with. Two of them gave me anhedonia and made me very nauseated. However, Wellbutrin can be good, not for motivation per se, but for mood. Amyltriptyline helped some but it was short-lived and besides I could not tolerate the side effects, sexual side effects and hellacious insomnia.

Edited by thebatman

The only thing that really helps me is Adderall. I take it for my ADD. I just started Pristiq about a month ago. I hope it helps. I also take 10mg of Lexpro. I'm also taking other meds but not for depression (hormone therapy, blood pressure med.) I've tried so many other meds for depression that didn't work. I'm also seeing a psychiatrist. I just want my life back! I never want to leave my house. I haven't been anywhere in 10 days :( I don't have a phobia or anything like that, I just want to stay home.....

I wonder if I can get my dr. to prescribe this for me. I am on wellbutrin xl and it isnt' helping, but maybe it is, but I am very depressed at the moment...well, for a few months now. maybe wellbutrin is keeping me from blowing my brains out..I have tried so many meds over the years I have lost track. I stopped Lexapro back in Oct. as it had just plateaued, no help. I don't know what to try next. I can get Prozac cheap here, I tried it a few years back and it worked sorta, but then petered out. I think they all do after a while. I don't even have the desire to shower! Much less leave the house. I live in tropical paradise Costa Rica and I am miserable. What's a smile?

Edited by AquaViolet
TOS

• 1 year later...

High dose Parnate up to 130mg to 170mg is being touted as the answer for TR-MDD. The higghest dose FDA approved was only 60mg back when I took it.

Wonder if it would have kicked in if I could have gone higher? It was Horrible to get off of BTW. Tempted to try it on my own as MD knows zero.

Abilify is mentioned as possibly motivating but I wonder???....Any Abilify experiences?

Help PLEASE.....gravity Thx's

• 3 weeks later...

High dose Parnate up to 130mg to 170mg is being touted as the answer for TR-MDD. The higghest dose FDA approved was only 60mg back when I took it.

Wonder if it would have kicked in if I could have gone higher? It was Horrible to get off of BTW. Tempted to try it on my own as MD knows zero.

Abilify is mentioned as possibly motivating but I wonder???....Any Abilify experiences?

Bumped!

No personal experience with Abilify and motivation (wasn't on it long enough due to akathisia) but I've seen a lot of posts on forums with people getting more motivation with it.

Edited by Velthir

Bumped!

Really getting desperate for high dose Parnate advise; So Bumped again. thx Velthir...I'm not really experienced w/ abilify but have seen negative reactions like yours in others too...

• 1 year later...

Vyvanse.  It was great.  It was being used to augment Celexa/Lexapro, which pooped out.  When I stopped the Celexa/Lexapro, I had to stop the Vyvanse.  It hasn't been the same since.

I could actually feel it start to work after I took it.  I felt pretty much like myself - which I hadn't in years.  I thought I was a better person on Vyvanse. 

I miss it.

Oh sorry, Gravity!

Abilify didn't work for me b/c of these random arm movements that happened.  I don't remember the technical term.  That happened early on and was not something I could tolerate so I didn't have the chance to know if it would have helped with motivation or mood or anything, really.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have tinnitus and have found all the drugs since getting of imipramine make it intolerable so I am only treating my panic disorder but the depression makes me wonder what I'm hanging around for. I long to have the wherewithal to go on a trip to visit friends. I feel like I'm back in my 20s before docs believed medicine could help panic disorder and didn't associate it with isolating depression. Does anyone know of any natural remedy or does one who has tinnitus found something that didn't make it worse?