Sign in to follow this  
Nick9075

I Cannot Hold A Job-- Always Getting Fired Or Let Go

icon_cry.gif and don't know what exactly I am doing wrong icon_sad.gif

I have had several temp jobs over the past two years which have ended for vague reasons. The most recent one I was informed the other morning that the client ended the contract with the agency and not to report to work. I don't know what I did wrong since I was told this project would last 2 months. The job was mostly filing & entering in Accounts Payable invoices, I was told I would be doing regular accounting. But this seems to be a pattern. Everytime something goes wrong or I ask too many questions I get fired and many times its for vague reasons.

A combination of ADHD & Anxiety I suppose which makes it hard to focus especially on Accounting or Data Entry type positions. I also think I come across the wrong way to people because I think I ask too many questions and wasn't proactive enough. In this assignment I was trained quickly by the person I was replacing on her very last day. Afterward, my direct supervisor seemed too busy to help me and acted annoyed whenever I asked him a specific question or even for more work and just told me to see the other supervisor to do filing & input.

I feel that I am not employable so I have just taken any job I have been offered since my employment history is so bad previous to these temp jobs. I do have a BA degree in Accounting & MS degree in Finance.

As a result, I have felt very bad about myself and don't interact with anyone at all. I live alone and don't talk to anyone but parents sometimes.

Hello Nick9075,

First of all I want to commend you for being so persistent regarding jobs. I hope that you see the positive aspect of having held these jobs in that in spite of losing them, you are moving on and finding more. It is hard working and persevering people like you who give hope to people like me to keep fighting depression and always remain optimistic.

I understand that your ADHD and anxiety make it difficult to focus. But having a Masters in Finance despite suffering from ADHD, is no piece of cake either. So, I don't want you to just assume that your ADHD and anxiety are the cause of the loss of present job. Since you are proactive in looking for jobs, I feel that you are a motivated person. Perhaps, you could contact your previous employers and ask them gently about giving a feedback. You might have made well wishers also at your previous jobs. You can also ask them for advise to know the real cause of your loss of jobs.

I suffer from depression and I tend to put all the blame of small and big failures on myself and I feel that may be you are doing the same. I just want to tell you that knowing our illness, we readily admit blame for everything wrong that goes on in our lives. It is highly plausible that the bad financial scenario caused you to lose your jobs. After all, there are so many people who don't have any jobs for over a year. So it is my sincere request to you to please do not put yourself down. Try to find out the real reasons and do not lose hope for your future.

I can only give my two cents. Rest is up to you. I do want to say this that I am highly inspired by your story and hope you keep fighting all the odds. Please don't feel bad about yourself. Anybody would love to have a fighter like you as his/her friend. If you are undergoing therapy, ask your therapist for tips for overcoming anxiety and making friends. Having a support system, would also help you see the positives in you. And people at DF are always there to lend a helping hand whenever we fall.

Hugs and blessings from me. Hope you see, what i see in you and recognize how brave you are. Take care,

Naruto.

(P.S. You can also try and find out if CBT or mindfulness meditation will be of help to you. Perhaps you can read more about ADHD on DF and learn which technique could help you deal with ADHD and anxiety in more effective manner)

Edited by naruto

My life story has a similar end result. I feel for you and hope you find the strength to see that change is possible and that it is possible to overcome what seems insurmountable.

Take care and believe that there are people out there who understand...keep trying to reach out.

I just want to second what Naruto said. I'm impressed that you've gotten your education and have held jobs despite your difficulties. Another thing to remember is that the economy is just horrible now, and even people with no particular mental health issues are finding it a challenge to find and keep jobs. Hang in there. I hope things get better for you soon.

I just want to second what Naruto said. I'm impressed that you've gotten your education and have held jobs despite your difficulties. Another thing to remember is that the economy is just horrible now, and even people with no particular mental health issues are finding it a challenge to find and keep jobs. Hang in there. I hope things get better for you soon.

Thank you :)

one thing is that sometimes this office work can make my depression worse plus I feel alot of anxiety at work at well. I don't deal with it well-- sometimes just go on the internet which i know I shouldn't.

Hey Nick9073,

I face the same problem as you. I also seek escape on the Internet when I am anxious. However, we have to learn to deal with this anxiety. Maybe you can talk with your therapist and learn how to deal with it. Presently, I am trying to face my fears and whenever something makes me anxious, I try to deal with it head on. But let me tell you it is really tough and I know exactly how you feel.

Mindfulness mediation and CBT seemingly help with this. So perhaps, you can talk to your therapist about it. Just remember, that many people have to deal with similar issues as yours, so don't feel alone in your ordeal.

I am sending you a link for self help brochure to deal with stress and anxiety in messages. Please refer it.

My good wishes are with you. Take care.

Naruto

Thank you :)

one thing is that sometimes this office work can make my depression worse plus I feel alot of anxiety at work at well. I don't deal with it well-- sometimes just go on the internet which i know I shouldn't.