Sign in to follow this  
ja4445

Cymbalta And Sleep

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has Cymbalta effected your sleep?

• I sleep the same as I always have
    • I sleep better with Cymbalta
    • I sleep worse with Cymbalta

Hey Guys I take Cymbalta for Depression and GAD, and as a side effect I suffer from sleep problems. I was wanted to start a poll to see how others are doing! Thanx for your votes!

James

Made my sleep worse. I was tired all the time, almost falling asleep at work, started to feel like I was narcoleptic.

Finally got diagnosed with sleep apnea, which I think Cymbalta made so much worse.

Sleep MD asked if I was on antidepressants because in my inital sleep study I got NO REM sleep at all.

Initially, yes, it disrupted my sleep and I took Remeron to knock me out. Now, I don't notice a big difference--other than the night sweats!

Made my sleep worse. I was tired all the time, almost falling asleep at work, started to feel like I was narcoleptic.

Finally got diagnosed with sleep apnea, which I think Cymbalta made so much worse.

Sleep MD asked if I was on antidepressants because in my inital sleep study I got NO REM sleep at all.

I have sleep apnea and before Cymbalta I had very poor sleep. I originally took my Cymbalta in the morning which made me sleepy throughout the day. The Pharmacist said to try to take in the evening which has made a great improvement....no I sleep better than I have in years.

Trying taking it about an hour before you go to bed.

I sleep less, well I have trouble falling asleep. I think I got used to having to have a lot of sleep because of the depression, and I don't need as much anymore. But I am just unable to fall asleep no matter how much sleep I have had or not. My doc prescribed me some antihistamines to help falling asleep, but they are not helping.

Initially I was 60mg and was doing quite alright and then my sleep took a turn for the worse and the dreams I was having were quite horrific.

Had a lot of sickies at work due to this. Now on 30mg, sleep is slighty better (making myself stay in bed when struggling with thoughts in my head etc),

however my thoughs the last few weeks have drastically taken a dive and am ringing the doctor tomorrow to see what I should do...

Bubblehead99,

It took me a solid six weeks to be able to sleep again on Cymbalta. I had to very slowly increase my Cymbalta dosage from 30, to 60 and now I'm on 90 and have been for about four years. Hope the Dr. had good advice.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I have trouble sleeping on a good day. Since taking cymbalta I believe my sleeping has become worse. I am currently taking zopiclone at bedtime and that helps. I have been on both drugs for 2 years.

Edited by crazyguy

Sleep is very important for your overall health, so I think I'd talk to your Dr. and find out if there might not be something he would be willing to supplement you with. Do you take your Cymbalta in the morning?

I've been on Cymbalta for 4+ years and have never been able to fall asleep this easily.

Mysticmiki what dose are you on? I'm on 60 and it sure doesn't help me sleep.

took this stuff 30mg for 5 days....terrible insomnia and nightmares....am off for 5 days now and still sleep only 3-4 hrs a night...horrible stuff!!

It gave me insomnia at first too, but five days is not is usually not a long enough trial to tell whether it would have worked for you or not. I understand though, and hope you find something that works.

Had trouble sleeping too when I was first starting Cymbalta. Ended up at 90mg doses like someone else had mentioned in this thread.
Sort of been cutting back due to the liver worries and other issues I could be causing with using this drug.

I took Cymbalta for 5 weeks about a year ago. I just started them again yesterday - and as far as ADs go, Cymbalta has been the most disruptive on my sleep, I wake up constantly throughout the night. So much so that it feels like I don't get any sleep!

However, as I said, the longest term I have taken them is 5 weeks so I am hoping this improves after a while?!

I just changed my vote!
In the first month of taking cymbalta, I definitely slept worse, woke up non stop during the night.

Now months after starting I sleep like a log all the time.

My sleep plummeted from ~6 hours to 2-3 hours. Which was expected as Cymbalta can trigger your hypomanic/manic episodes if you have bipolar I/II depression. My doctor threw in depakote to stabilize the mood swings and I upped my nightly melatonin to 6mg and now things seem to be getting better.

When I first started taking this I had extremely vivid and intense dreams.  Now, the dreaming is less vivid, but I still have trouble most nights staying asleep and usually sleep no more than 5 or 6 hours.  That's on a good night. I often wake up much earlier.