Mention One (Or More) Thing(S) You Will Do To Morrow To Cope With Your Mental Health. Better Opportunities For Better Mental Health (May Be Small). #2

Trace

Rosegirl :hugs:

I think you´re doing great! You´re an inspiration. Keep up the good work. Eating right, self-hypnosis and hat you´re doing is so good.

I´m trying to do the same. My hope is that I can break through all the barriers that have limited me and made me choose behaviors such as workaholism, financial problems, perfectionism, eating disorders that pop up now and again.

I´m doing so much better and my affirmations help so much. I´m able to say to myself that I love myself and accept exactly as I am.

Thanks (((((Violet)))))! I have made it this day, too. I try to do self-hypnosis several times a day and I feel happy! :happy: I also try to have God with me in everything I do and ... Well, this is not the right forum to give a description of my faith. (People can believe in whatever they want for me).

Once upon a time (sounds like a beginning of an adventure, he-he) and may be it was, in some way. I was depressed because of some childhood traumas. The depression took up almost all of my life. One day I sat down and said to myself that if depression is doing nothing, then the opposite of depression must be to be in activity. As an "Askeladden" (Boots/Jack) in Asbjörnsen and Moe, I went out into the world and observed people to see what I could find. How did the behavior of the non-depressed look like? Well, my conclusion was that they went through the day in different situations. They did one work-hour with THIS content and the next with THAT content. When the work was finished, they went home and did different things there. In short I didn't win the prince and half the kingdom, but I had found out that non-depressed people was PRESENT in VARIED SITUATIONS during the day. It seemed like they owned a knowledge that I lacked. They managed to STAY in the different situations (in the here and now)and I assumed that they put behind them what had happened in former situations to be present in the next situation and so on. (If that was a right assumption can be discussed, but it was very helpful to me at that time).

My conclusion after the observation of the non-depressed, led me to think that the key to get rid of depression, had to be to make the day into different parts were different (or sometimes similar) "work" had to be done. If I should be present in each "work-situation" I would have to concentrate on the task and leave past- or future-worries behind.

If the "work" was to EAT, my task would be to "go into the eating situation" and be present there without a bag of worries. The same went for everything else, work, study, partying, parenting and even sleeping. To do the "work of sleeping" I asked myself what people normally did when they slept (I had problems falling asleep)? The answer was that they lay in bed and do nothing. So I told myself to do that, lay in bed and do nothing (but not to worry). The nights continued to be sleepless, but since I was persistent at staying in the here and now even at night, I slept like a baby after a week or so. That habit continued to be stable.

To stay present in the specific situation and do whatever the task was and not something else was my key to put the depression OFF. I had marked a special hour each day to look on problems, traumas or whatever. When the thought of such problems popped up during the day, I only said to myself that "these thoughts" did not belong to that situation but was to be presented later in the day on a time set apart for that.

The key was very simple: Enter a situation and stay in it, leave the situation behind when finished and enter a new situation and stay there until it's time to leave for the next situation. (Inappropriate worries were not allowed. Appropriate worries was to be worked out in a time sat apart for that).

I have read this formula into a tape, so when I self-hypnose I make myself into deep relaxation and then put on the tape with the instructions and, as already told: It works.

If the same principles were to be explained scientifically, I think the learning theories would make the best references.

My point of presenting this here on the thread for planning for better mental health, is that this has worked for me and even though we all are different, may be one or two of the sufferers here can build upon these ideas to make their own lives better. I think that the person who wears the shoe, is the best to know where it frets. A part of the work to get rid of depression for everyone is always to make good habits suited for ones own situation.

It helped me! It did cost a lot of effort, but it helped me to put depression behind, to meet difficult situations, to be present for others, present when studying and so on. It gave me a high academic degree and it worked so well that someone started to envy me at work (which I was clever at without overwhelming myself with it. Customers outside of my work-place started to call and tell how satisfied they were).

Envy must be the ugliest trait that exists. What that person (at the same work as me) and her friends did to me was so gruesome that I had to go on sick-leave with Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder. A lot of negative "things" happened year in and out and I was too exhausted to be able to use my homemade antidote to depression.

Now, however, the stress is down and I think the time is perfect to try again. I understand what you mean when you talk about affirmation, Violet (have thought about it a bit). Positive affirmation is very helpful!

For tomorrow:

My plan states that I for the time being shall use my Wednesdays for housework. :boredsmiley: Well it's boring. But I look forward to beat the depression! :biggrin: Self-hypnosis and more ...

Hope everyone manage their lives in a way that give them courage to continue the good fight!!

Love to everyone on the thread :hearts::hearts::hearts:

PS. Promise to not write such a long epistle next time (This was a special occasion).

Edited by Rosegirl

I have never tried self hypnosis, however I have tried mindfulness which takes a step by step aproach and uses different exercises each week. It is similar to being in the moment or staying present. It helped me survive going back to work, if I didn't have that, things would probably not have worked out so well. It was my safety-net for , something to hold on to in different situations. Having something to use is so helpful, I still go back and use it today, two years later. Sounds like a positive step!

Ocean :flowers:

My goals for today and tomorrow:

Continue to do what I am doing at work and at home as it is working, keep busy, stay positive, do the right things, don't dwell on negative, feel things don't get depressed about it, don't aim for perfect, aim for good, appreciate what I have,

Stay positive and meaningful

don't forget to exercise!

tomorrow, i hope to call the psychiatrist and make an appointment, call the psychologist and discuss organising some documents i need for school. i hope to start writing something tomorrow. i'm feeling creative and motivated tonight. i hope i still feel this way in the morning.

I have never tried self hypnosis, however I have tried mindfulness which takes a step by step aproach and uses different exercises each week. It is similar to being in the moment or staying present. It helped me survive going back to work, if I didn't have that, things would probably not have worked out so well. It was my safety-net for , something to hold on to in different situations. Having something to use is so helpful, I still go back and use it today, two years later. Sounds like a positive step!

My knowledge about mindfulness is superficial. It seems that we reach the same goal, by different methods. To be able to staying present in the moment and then shift focus when that moment or situation is past, is my survival principle. That's why I do the self-hypnoses. I have done it for only a few days, nowadays, and three tape players have failed to play the tape. I have no copy of it. When I found out that even my old radio with the place for a tape failed this morning, I used the "step in and out of situations"-method. Instead of worrying because it was impossible to use the tape after bringing myself into a relaxed state, I went back to my bed, laid down and did Autogenic Training. I learned that when I was a student by another student that had a tiny instruction book on it. The method is to self-instruct the part of the nerve system that is conscious to take control over the autonomic nerve system. It's very powerful and one can self-hypnose at the end of the exercise. Example: "The letter will be written." "I will be calm and relaxed at the meeting next week". I haven't practiced Autogenic Training for ages, but this morning I did it and at the end I self-hypnosed all the sentences that should have come from my tape. I remembered them very clearly.

The self-hypnosis works! All in all, that means that I'm satisfied with myself! :happy:

Tomorrow, I will go to my therapy appointment, even though I will not want to. Even though I will want to stay in bed and hide from the world, I will go to my appointment and talk to my therapist.

Excellent!!

tomorrow, i hope to call the psychiatrist and make an appointment, call the psychologist and discuss organising some documents i need for school. i hope to start writing something tomorrow. i'm feeling creative and motivated tonight. i hope i still feel this way in the morning.

WOW, Really good!

My plans for tomorrow:

1) Autogenic Training with self-hypnosis.

2) Follow my written plan for the day.

3) Use the "stay in the situation, leave it behind and go on doing something else" if something unexpected pups up.

Tomorrow I will do this thing and do my best for the 550 children present. Please send prayers and light my way.

Thinking of you, (((Violet)))!!! the TimeTicker shows that the clock is 6:51 PM at your place, now, so probably you are on TV while I'm writing this! Please don't forget to relax when it's all over. :flowers:

Hope all the users of the thread are OK! HUGS to all :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I will continue with my plans of the day, doing self-hypnosis etc...

Have a good weekend, everybody!!

RG

Edited by Rosegirl

Congrats, Violet!! Proud of you! :hugs::flowers:

It's so good to hear that you have reached one of your aims, and a big one too. It's no small thing to be at TV. To be able to plan for all this at the same time as you were parenting and more ..., is fantastic. It's admirable!

You are a good example to others who have got a diagnose ... Life goes on if we don't give in when it seems as darkest. To do the work that depression or other diagnoses demands of us, will one day be rewarding.

If you read my post #101 at this thread, you will see that I reached my aims too. I got the education and the type of jobs I wanted. I got my reward!!

But as #101 also tells, somebody got envious at my success in one of my jobs and made my life feel like hell. I did not give in, I did continue the fight and was going to take the case to court. What stopped me, however, was that my best witness died and that some of the other witnesses got seriously ill. It was as if all the dark forces in the world had been let out. It was like being locked into a dark room were somebody always managed to close the door when I had struggled to open it to let a tiny light shine. If I should write understandable about it, it would be a whole book. (I don't want to give these people, that behaved in such an evil way, to darken my life, now, by putting my effort in writing a book about them. So there will be no book about that).

The only advice I have to all people is to not be naive. Trust friends and others, but don't forget that people have bad sides too. When one became a threat to them (in some way or other in my case it was their envy), they will hit to protect their own self image. I'm not a pessimist, only realistic. In my case there was some really tragic circumstances, like the death of important witnesses and so on that hindered my to win the battle...

It has taken me some years to do the grief-work after what they did to me. Still, nobody can take away the importance of how I fought my depression and reached my aims in former days.

Both you and me, Violet, can send the message to people that healing from depression is possible and that it's possible to reach aims that no one would believe was possible. (This is not meant as a «self-hallelujah». A lot of other people have made it, too). I think that it's important that those who are new to depression, can be given the hope that there is HOPE for them too. There may be backslides on the way to recovery, but the «two steps forward and one step back» is still valid. Backsliding is not the same as not being at the road to a better life.

Regarding my own life, the story about all that happened because of the envy, stupidity and power-game of others (in just one job) has taken years of my life, not only to grieve, but also because all the pressure led to physical illnesses too. I'm not complaining I still want to spread hope. :smile:

I don't know if I, after all that has happened, have the energy to fight for the same aims. I have become older. I have not the whole life in front of me, but still I'm alive and will continue to be so.

Life doesn't come with guaranties. Still we have this life and it's up to us to choose how to use it, whatever our circumstances are.

There is a good saying that says that if one road is blocked, find a new path to walk upon. That's my general advice to everyone. Look around and try to find a way to walk upon that is good to walk upon. Don't look back and get stuck in old sorrows (but do the grief-work first).

Sorry this seems to become long, but I think I should be allowed to write a bit long for the moment.

I feel like a plant that has been trampled down, but a very stubborn plant, that has «crawled» (grown) into the light. It's Autumn, but still, this Autumn I'm blooming. :happy:

I'm doing well with my structured days, self-hypnosis, and a lot of other «things», - all framed by my belief in God.

For the time being, my aim is to get as much health back as possible. What to do when I have reached that aim, I have to decide when I stand at that goal. :smile:

Back to you, Violet. I'm happy for you both for the TV program, but also because you have been able to battle the «demon» of perfection.

I also think that you point to something important in recovery: To give something to others is a really good way to recovery!!

To you, Violet, and everyone here:

Take care and keep up the good fight inside realistic frames. There is always hope! :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

RG

Edited by Rosegirl

But as #101 also tells, somebody got envious at my success in one of my jobs and made my life feel like hell. I did not give in, I did continue the fight and was going to take the case to court. What stopped me, however, was that my best witness died and that some of the other witnesses got seriously ill. It was as if all the dark forces in the world had been let out. It was like being locked into a dark room were somebody always managed to close the door when I had struggled to open it to let a tiny light shine. If I should write understandable about it, it would be a whole book. (I don't want to give these people, that behaved in such an evil way, to darken my life, now, by putting my effort in writing a book about them. So there will be no book about that).

The only advice I have to all people is to not be naive. Trust friends and others, but don't forget that people have bad sides too. When one became a threat to them (in some way or other

Hi to old and new users of this thread. :flowers:

This is a thread for all who find it helpful to try to think about what small or big "thing(-s)" they want to do the next day that (on short or long term) hopefully will benefit their health in some way or other. We might call it a "think before you act-thread". Here we plan ahead and here we come back to tell if we succeeded or not, so that we always can adjust to the level we are functioning at. Lower our ambitions when they are too high and set them higher when we feel better.

Everybody is :welcomeani: . It's not a thread only for those who know each other well or for those who have success at the time being.

Only wanted to say that, in case the success some of us experience for the time being are scaring people away. Come as you are ..... :nod:

..........................................................................................

I

Hi :flowers:

So sorry to hear about what happened to you Rosegirl, but you are correct about trust issues. I have a hard one with this also, often times I give up my trust easily only to get hurt afterwards. It takes time to learn how to have a safe yet pleasant relationship. I also think working towards recovery or having a more comfortable life is definately having lots of structure whether at work or at home. This has helped to have definate times to get things done and sticking to it.

Violet, one of my new goals is working on perfectionism, I was talking to someone earlier and she helped me so much about this. We talked about how "perfectionism is the enemy of the good" in otherwords, aim for good, not perfect. For me I've taken this to a level I use with people. My aim is not to have sky high happy days with people that only happens once in a while, but to have just good days with maybe a few blunders here and there. It has helped so much.

My goasl for today...

Continue to work hard at what I'm doing, staying on time and on purpose

Acknowledge the hard work of others around me as well

Remember to take time to breathe and take in the moment,

Stay busy and when idle time does come, do something but when at home, take time to rest at certain times.

Plan plan plan for the day when my son comes home to visit!! I miss him so much.

:hugs:

Have a great day everyone

So sorry to hear about what happened to you Rosegirl, but you are correct about trust issues. I have a hard one with this also, often times I give up my trust easily only to get hurt afterwards. It takes time to learn how to have a safe yet pleasant relationship. I also think working towards recovery or having a more comfortable life is definately having lots of structure whether at work or at home. This has helped to have definate times to get things done and sticking to it.

When I was young my mother said: "Trust your friends well, but not too well". I didn't understand what she meant. I learned it the hard way ... But life goes on. My now old mom's advice is crystal clear in my head: "Trust your friends well, but not too well". About structure: Yes, that is a really good "helper".

1. Go shopping with relative.

Hope it was a good experience!

Ocean and Rosegirl, thanks so much for your kind words. It

Hi all,

Can I join you? I'm in quite a bad depression at the moment, everything seems impossible and when I don't get anything done I feel guilty and make myself even more miserable. I've found this thread so inspiring.

So small goals for tomorrow:

Get out of bed when the alarm goes off

Visit ex-colleagues

Try not to dwell on my recent breakup and the negative thoughts and feelings associated with it

Hugs to you all xx

Hi all,

Can I join you? (...)

So small goals for tomorrow:

Get out of bed when the alarm goes off

Visit ex-colleagues

Try not to dwell on my recent breakup and the negative thoughts and feelings associated with it

You are so :welcomeani: zbgroove. To get out of bed when depressed is not a small thing. I work continually on that one. To try to not dwell on negative thoughts associated with a break-up is brave! Good that you are able to visit ex-colleagues.

About me:

I am tired. Had a lot of things to do during the weekend. Started with 25 minutes use of the light box this morning.

Plans for tomorrow:

a) up when the clock rings.

b) going through the usual morning ritual inclusive physical exercises at home.

c) self-hypnose on being present in the situations as they occur.

d) use light-box

e) force myself to use my plan for the day!

Thanks Rosegirl, how is your day going?

My goals for today are:

Get up, have breakfast, shower

Look up jobs online

Play squash

Read a few chapters of positive thinking book

So far I have achieved no1 (if a bit later than normal) and a bit of no2. My therapist said to only do a task for half an hour then have a break if I'm finding it hard, which is so helpful as I don't build it up to a massive thing in my mind.

Will post tonight with tomorrow's goals.

Hope everyone is having a good day. xx

I have an appointment with my Psychiatrist at 10:00 am.

I am going to workout at the gym after my appointment.

Do some research online and spend time on DF.

Make sure I start eating something in the morning and midday.

Speak positive affirmations to myself. I love ME with all my faults! :mad1:

Edited by lindahurt