Sign in to follow this  
thewordsitch

Savella For Depression And Anxiety

Hi! I know Savella has not been approved in the States for depression and anxiety, but it is used in other countries for those reasons. I've been on 50mg of it once a day for about 6 months, and last week decided to taper down to 25mg of it, as the side effects are bothering me: (constipation, fogginess, impaired ability to express myself through critical thinking, inability to lose weight - I used to be svelte and fit, but I gained twenty pounds, as the medicine has slowed my metabolism down, and I was too drugged up and sad to care about fitness- the weight gain has led to more depression, because I feel gross. I am 5'6, and used to weigh 120-125. Now I weigh 140. I hate it. I like being skinny and strong; it helps with my self-esteem, even though I know it's just a surface thing ). I have been on over twenty different medications for my OCD, anxiety, and depression, and they just don't work very well. I have suffered from these illnesses beginning as a small child, but was not officially diagnosed until I was 17, as I was too afraid to speak up. I just assumed I was crazy. I am also in therapy, and practice cognitive behavioral techniques.

I used to have pretty good luck with Celexa, but my brain hit a wall with it; and that, combined with the stress of my illness led me to a suicide attempt (my second try), in August of 2009.

I can't find any worthwhile information regarding people's experiences with Savella that are not fibromyalgia related, and I am desperate to hear how it has effected people struggling with anxiety, etc. -- including symptoms of withdrawal. I can't tell if I feel more scared than usual due to cutting back, or if I am just overly anxious, due to the fact that I have been getting out of the house more than usual, and putting myself more at risk for rejection, as well as talking to people face-to-face way more than is typical for me. I am trying so hard to get better, and I know that getting out of the house is a huge part of recovery. It is also possible that I am making myself more anxious due to simply feeling anxious about cutting back. Anxiety combined with my obsessive thinking leads me to all sorts of negative and incorrect conclusions, and the Savella hasn't made a dent in those feelings.

I just had an appointment with my psychiatrist, who prescribed me a new medicine (can't remember the name), but it was $1200 a month - so obviously, I didn't fill the prescription. We did not discuss the tapering off of Savella. I decided to do that myself out of frustration, and the constant wondering if the drug is causing me more harm than good. I do not plan on tapering off any further without speaking to my doctor. I just know that sometimes with these mental illness drugs, less can actually be more, and for the two years I have been seeing him, all he does is give me new drugs to add to my regime - none of which my body has tolerated. He is kind, and listens, but I think he's at a loss as to what to give me to take to feel better. I have tried not taking anything, but I can't function without some sort of medicine. I can go for a month or two without, but I end up back in a dark corner, with my mind filling up with darkness, and uncontrollable, terrifying weeping. I am still taking klonopin as needed (up to 4 mg per day).

I will talk to my doctor about it, but it won't be for awhile. He is expensive to see, and very busy.

Is there anyone out there who has been or is currently being treated with Savella for anxiety, OCD, or depression? I would love to hear about your experience, and appreciate in advance that you've taken the time to read this and to respond.

Just from google there are a few older posts that come up on here.

I am not sure if any of them are related to Depression/Anxiety

Just from google there are a few older posts that come up on here.

I am not sure if any of them are related to Depression/Anxiety

I googled extensively before coming on here, and cannot find anything.

Please, if anyone has some guidance/answers - I'd really appreciate it.

Just an update: The anxiety has become so bad, and I cannot differentiate between the medication withdrawal and the extra stress and sensory overload I've been going through (I've attended more social events/encounters in the last week than I have in ages - I even went on a date last night for the first time in well over a year), that I've decided to go back up to the 50 mg dose. I don't think I'm able to make active advances in recovery without the medication. I thought i was ready to cut back, but I'm not. Thank-you to anyone who read my posting's. I'm assuming the lack of response to my quandary has a lot to do with Savella being a rarer anxiety medication, and not heavily in use. I hit a dead-end here, as well as through google. Hopefully, more information will appear on the topic. :)

I'm going to send you a PM in a moment.

Milnacipran has been trialled for Depression and is approved for depression in around 45 countries. And since 1996 in France so although it is a new drug in the US it is not a new drug elsewhere.

Edited by HelenLlama

I believe brand name Savella is approved for fibromyalga in some countries and brand name Fetzima is approved for depression/anxiety in other countries but their both the same.  

On 12/13/2017 at 1:14 PM, jay89 said:

I believe brand name Savella is approved for fibromyalga in some countries and brand name Fetzima is approved for depression/anxiety in other countries but their both the same.  

Actually they're not the same. Savella is milnacipran, while Fetzima is levomilnacipran.

Milnacipran is balanced in its reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine, while levomilnacipran is more noradrenergic than serotonergic, the only SNRI like this; the rest of them are more serotonergic than noradernergic.

I've never had experience with Savella, but I've had experience with Fetzima, its cousin medicine, and it was not good for me. Others have good results with it. I've never heard of anyone using Savella for depression though...