Sign in to follow this  
EliasR

Mirtazapine, Very Sleepy And Drowsy, Please Help

I took 15 mg of mirtazapine last night prescribed by my doktor for anxiety. Just a few minutes after taking the pill i became very sleepy like I was very drunk. I thought ok this is fine I'll be able to sleep but when I woke up 12 hours late I was still feeling like high/drunk/sleepy and I'm pretty sure I could sleep for at least 5 hours more. I'm still feeling like this and it's been around 13 hours. I know these common side affects but do they decrease? I'm not sure that I can take a week of feeling like this. I read somewhere that at higher doze...like at 30 mg these side effects were less is that true? The reason for why I'm asking is that if I should change exspect this for a long time I don't think I will take the next pill. This is a very limiting situation, I can't drive, can't go to work and it's taking a a lot of effort to make this post readable.

I'm a 21 year old male, 177cm or 5'10 (i think), not sure how much I weigh but I'm pretty average in size.

Any input on this is very much appreciated.

I took 15 mg of mirtazapine last night prescribed by my doktor for anxiety. Just a few minutes after taking the pill i became very sleepy like I was very drunk. I thought ok this is fine I'll be able to sleep but when I woke up 12 hours late I was still feeling like high/drunk/sleepy and I'm pretty sure I could sleep for at least 5 hours more. I'm still feeling like this and it's been around 13 hours. I know these common side affects but do they decrease? I'm not sure that I can take a week of feeling like this. I read somewhere that at higher doze...like at 30 mg these side effects were less is that true? The reason for why I'm asking is that if I should change exspect this for a long time I don't think I will take the next pill. This is a very limiting situation, I can't drive, can't go to work and it's taking a a lot of effort to make this post readable.

I'm a 21 year old male, 177cm or 5'10 (i think), not sure how much I weigh but I'm pretty average in size.

People do often find that 30mg or 45mg reduce sedation, they did for me a little but not enough. You'll probably find that over time it gets less sedating anyway, but as always your mileage may vary. It took a few days after starting and each dose increase to start not feeling really out of it for most of the rest of the day.

This is your body initially reacting to this med and the side effects should subside over time. For me I found that I have to start off with a low dosage and then increase over time. As my body adjust to having the med in my system, most side effects go away around 2 or 3 weeks.

Lindahurt

This is another case of what dosage hits what receptors. So it is not a typical side effect.

And at lower doses IT does hit histamine receptors preferably.

I've been on 45mg for a few years now and I'm still spaced-out all morning.

I want to stop taking it for that reason but I had a very rough ride to get used to it and it is lifting me.

I don't want to fall into deep depression again.

- john

Hi John,

You might want to consider take the Mirtazapine earlier in the night so that you are more alert in the morning. That is what my doctor told me about one of my meds used to help me sleep as well.

Lindahurt

Thanks for all the responses, I feel a lot better now and it's been two hours since the post so I probably should take them earlier in the evening. I used to be on citalopram a year ago and it never had such powerful effect on me.

Yeah, you probably won't find anything else that's as sedating as Mirtazapine. It's known to be one of the most sedating ADs out there. Great if you have sleep issues.

Definitely worth trying to take earlier, does help some people. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses, I feel a lot better now and it's been two hours since the post so I probably should take them earlier in the evening. I used to be on citalopram a year ago and it never had such powerful effect on me.

Edited by Velthir

I had this problem, the first time I took mirtazapine i had a thyroid disorder which was keeping me awake and they were a godsend got me to sleep at night no drosiness in the morning (due to my thyroid perking me up)

I restarted them a whle ago and i had to stop after 2 weeks as i was still spaced out come 2-3pm and ive got small children at home :(

The bad side effects of mirtazapin are sedation and weight gain.

I used to be very tired when I started with mirtazapin.

Now I have added Wellbutrin to the mix.

I'm not tired anymore.

Peter Heuer

Yes, if I swallow the pill, it tends to be released slower in the stomach.

I always bite, until dissolved with a bit of water, then swallow.

I find it less sedating for the next morning.

as it's fast in...fast out...

But it's half life is around 20hours...

Im on mirtazapine and promazine ( anti psychotic) both make you drowzy as hell,

the first 3 nights i was on that med i was out cold, my mum tried to talk to me

just after id taken it and i was mumbling and completely unaware of everything.

But i after a few days everything clears up the drug is brilliant at helping my

moods !

But beware does have a side effect of making you gain weight iv

put on 23lb in 2 1/2 weeks and iv done nothing different!

the weight

gain doesnt help my depression but hard because the tablets help stable my mood

changes so :s

Hope this helps :)

hi

ive been on mirtz for 5 months now, started at 15mg , then 30 & onto 45 !!!

i found the sedation the same at all of those doses , in fact i think its just as bad at 45 as it is 15 !

for me, it takes AT LEAST 60mg , if not around 90mg to have least sedation & NOT be knocked out!

i have also found that no matter what the does, it helps a lot to split the dosage & take them at least an hr apart!

(this also works with restless leg)

i also feel the same 'day time' spaced out & lack of energy no matter the dose!

Hey there. The sedation should ease with time, and eventually the higher doses should give more energy. In addition. I found caffeine pills particularly useful in overcoming the morning sedation. It is a good AD for mood I feel, however, it takes a while for the body to adjust to the sedation. It was about 2-3 weeks to adjust to 15 mg and longer to adjust to 30 mg. I hope it works out for you! As a side note, I found paxil equally as sedating at the start but gave insomnia after a while which made me VERY tired during the day.....It is hard to find the perfect fit!

My son was prescribed Remeron for insomnia. It's a case where it works so well, it works too well... In the beginning he could barely make it through the next day of school he would be so groggy.

We have learned to have him take it 14 hours before he is due to wake up. Because it stays in the system for 12 hours this works out good. He takes it at 5pm - goes to bed at 9pm and gets up at 7am feeling close to normal. Hopefully the effects of the grogginess will go away over time.

He is 12 and takes 4mg.

I just started on Remeron on Tuesday so I've only had 2 doses. I took the first one at bed time and found i was dopey the rest of the day. So I took the second one about 14 hours before I normally get up in the morning.

Wowzers. By 9pm I was a zombie, by 10 it almost felt like a life or death choice to go to bed. Like if I stayed up, I'd die. So I went to bed at 10. Here I am now, 3pm and I'm still doped like I was at 9pm yesterday. Total zombie. I could easily crawl back into bed and sleep for many more hours. It's brutal.

I'm almost kind of glad that I'm unemployed because man I couldn't imagine trying to work while taking these.

I got prescribed Remeron because I have depression and insomnia. The doc was saying it should help with the insomnia. He wasn't kidding.. I'm sleeping but now I just can't wake up!

We had to lower the dosage on my son down to 2.5mg. He was falling asleep in class at school. Now that he has been on it awhile he doesn't get as sleepy when he first takes it. He is able to stay up 6 hours after taking it and feel pretty normal.

I read that the medication has a 20 to 40 hour half life. That's one of the longest ones I've ever heard of.

Since he had the day off of school we tested to see how long he would sleep. 12 hours. It would be hard to live having to get 12 hours of sleep every single day. And that's at only 2.5mg! Can't imagine what it would be like with the full dose...

I'm feeling this very much atm.

I've always taken my mirtazipine around 8pm...by 9pm I am asleep. Within the last week my dosage has been upped to 45mg. I'm now having to take the tablet earlier as first day I took it I slept for 22 hours!

I'm still sleeping for upwards of 12 hours and I'm constantly fatigued and lethargic. I've spoken to my doctor and he has asked me to give it a while see if it settles. At the rate I'm going I'm going to sleep through Christmas!

Stitch

Just started mirtaz 3 days ago. My experience is positive. Was prescribed for severe depression, suicidal with 2 actual failed attempts. First day I took it I slept pretty much around the clock, got up and felt like crap for another day. On my 3rd day now and actually feeling quite refreshed and depression seems to really have been lifted off of me like a weight.

Sleep is the most underrated part of our remedies and I am grateful that mirtazapine helps with that. But, it's been about 3.5 years for me and it's not working the way it used to. I have interrupted sleep now after a few hours of solid sleep. I wake up at 3 or 4 am and need to go to the bathroom.

I used to fall back asleep after. Now I toss and turn. I take only 15 mg. Probably should not increase or decrease dosage.

Hi Dolphin,

Have any of your stimulating meds changed doseages in the past year. Your wellbutrin and or strattera could be hindering your sleep. Do you take both of these meds early on in the day? 

Ok. I'm having the same problem as the OP. I took 15mg Mirt and within 15min I was out. It was like voices were coming through a tunnel when people would speak. I slept almost 12 hours. I woke for 4 and slept 4 more. My speech was slurred and I couldn't think. I was up 4 more hours and had problems like I was going to pass out while standing. Finally, after another 7 hours sleep it's wearing off. Doc suggested not taking the next dose and see how I slept. I did good. Like I said. Wearing off. I am afraid to take the next dose. He suggested a half dose, but I'm still scared.

I don't really see why I need to take this. I'm not depressed. I don't have insomnia. I'm simply overweight and have no energy. How does this help? Now I'm depressed and afraid that I have to take this again. He suggested Prozac at first, but I've used Prozac before and not sure what he's trying to accomplish. It did nothing for me. I'm Borderline Personality Disorder and Anti Social. Not depressed.