peekfrean

Cymbalta Withdrawal And How To Cope

After reading these posts (which has been a struggle for me since I am going of Cymbalta) I am terrified. I hope these withdrawal symptoms do not last a long time, because I can't afford to lose my job.

I can't even look at the screen without getting dizzy!

I can't say how much this board has been helpful throughout all the difficulties I have faced.

Thank you!

Discontinued Cymbalta (again) and switched to Wellbutrin to help with Smoking (I also take Lexapro). Typical withdrawal with the "Brain Zap" or "Sand Shakes" I guess you call them.

I have switched before and many times been on/off Cymbalta. Was on 60mg, went down to 30mg for a few months and stopped last week as I went on Wellbutrin. It is taking time, but I'm mustering through the withdrawal.

Update: The "brain zaps" have been worse the last few days.. it's been almost a week since discontinuing Cymbalta. Gonna tough it out and today I'm increasing the Wellbutrin to 300mg.

Update: The "brain zaps" have been worse the last few days.. it's been almost a week since discontinuing Cymbalta. Gonna tough it out and today I'm increasing the Wellbutrin to 300mg.

Hi,

I never knew what brain zaps were either until I quit cymbalta, and I have tried many anti-depressants. This has been the worst ever!! Good luck to everyone quitting this medicine.

Gotten better the last few days... brain zaps are just about gone, I think the Wellbutrin is helping with that.

Well, I was getting better, but the Brain Zaps are crazy today.... I have no idea how long this will last but I have been thru them before, will keep you all updated.

I am on week three from gradually reducing 60 mg. a day Cymbalta. My method has been to taper off by one day on, and one day off. Today I feel terrible, numbish lips, buzzing head, nauseated, and off balance. I know that I will get through this. I have been on this drug for about a year, and it did the job it was supposed to do, but I could not deal with the sleepiness all the time. Nice to talk to folks who have some experience with this. Has anyone stopped taking Cymbalta the way I am doing it? My Dr. was not supportive, so I chose to go off it on my own. Tough, but there it is.

I took cymbalta for nerve damage for about 3 years. I just had surgery and not need the thing anymore. I use to take 120ml a day. This is my day 3 from stopping it and I am going INSANE people. The dizziness, the nausea, the crying and can't walk around without feeling like I am going to pass out. Not to mention the acute state of anxiety. 

I quite cold turkey because I am sick of this stuff. I hope I did not damaged myself permanently. But got to say I dropped 4lb in 2 days. That is freaky. 

Now do to the fact that I just had surgery I still have porcoset and Valium at hand. I am taking them not for pain per say, but for lessening my crazy symptoms. At least they make me sleepy so I can sleep it off. 

I let you know how it goes....

On 12/24/2016 at 1:54 AM, MonicaCandle said:

I took cymbalta for nerve damage for about 3 years. I just had surgery and not need the thing anymore. I use to take 120ml a day. This is my day 3 from stopping it and I am going INSANE people. The dizziness, the nausea, the crying and can't walk around without feeling like I am going to pass out. Not to mention the acute state of anxiety. 

I quite cold turkey because I am sick of this stuff. I hope I did not damaged myself permanently. But got to say I dropped 4lb in 2 days. That is freaky. 

Now do to the fact that I just had surgery I still have porcoset and Valium at hand. I am taking them not for pain per say, but for lessening my crazy symptoms. At least they make me sleepy so I can sleep it off. 

I let you know how it goes....

Hi! I don't think cold turkey is the way to go. I totally get wanting to be done with Cymbalta forever, but I also think cold turkey throws your body out of whack, and that is never good. I used to open the capsules and dump beads. The first time I got off of it, I counted the beads... That was so tedious. The next time, I bought clear gel capsules and estimated. The final time, I continued to use the gel capsules but mixed them with 5 HTP (helps with serotonin) and L Tyrosine (helps with norepinephrine). Never had any withdrawal effects.

Now my issue is that every time I go off the medicine, I end up going back on because Cymbalta has been the only antidepressant that has helped me. I'm hoping this time I stay off, but I've been so sad lately and just crying all the time, so I definitely need something. The plus side is that I've lost weight (gained over 40 pounds on Cymbalta and was eating less because when I'm not depressed, I don't over indulge. So don't let any doctors make you think you're eating more when you really aren't). 

I started 30mg cymbalta Aug 2016 I am very sensitive to meds and am not depressed but have anxiety.  Cymbalta did not help with anxiety so starting tapering down Nov very slowly using a compouding pharmacy and then my PDoc said go a little faster and dropped by 5mg per week and I was off in 4 weeks.  I am now on day 9 off cymbalta.  Not to bad just dizzy, tired and sorta spacey head feeling.  How long will this go on?  I also take clonazepam 0.5mg three times a day and the doctor also scripted during my wean Buspar 5mg three times a day.  Seems to be helping with anxiety.  I see the PDoc next week and he wants me to start weaning of the clon but if I am still feeling like this from coming of the cymbalta I do not think it a good idea.  Anyone agree.  He will increase the Buspar but still.  I will be WD from 2 meds at the same time which is not good.

Hi Purplelavender here a a newbie.  I was on cymbalta 30mg started in Aug 2016 and started weaning off Nov 2016.  I have now been off for 12 days.  Was rough first week and then last week started getting a little better.  The last 3 days I have experienced a sorta mania feeling like my old self trying to emerge.  Sorta a scary feeling.  Has anyone else has this happen?  I also take Clonazepam 4 times a day 0.5mg and been scripted Buspar 5mg three times a day as we will be weaning be off the clon.

If anyone has experienced the mania does it go away?

I have been on 60 mg of Cymbalta for a year and I gained more than 60 pounds and developed liver problems, so my doctor started a taper to 40 mg this month. I am not sure what to expect yet. I do have "brain zaps" but they are not scary and I am dealing with them ok. I was in therapy every day and CBT worked to deal with most of my anxiety issues, so my treatment team does not really think that I need medication. However, I am scared that the symptoms will come back when I go off the Cymbalta completely. Has anyone gone off meds and been fine? 

Eve:

Everyone is different, of course.  It is worth going off the Cymbalta as your team suggests since you have some liver problems.  If you work hard at the CBT there is a good chance that you will do well.  And if not, remember that there are many anti-depressants that might be a better fit for you.  

Wishing you the best. 

Tim 

I am on day 14 of 40 mg and I'm starting to get anxiety symptoms coming back. I have a panic disorder and exposure therapy helped tremendously with this. But the general anxiety is coming back now. I'm not sure if I am getting symptoms because of the meds or because I am worried about coming off the meds. 

On 7/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, Tim 52 said:

Eve:

Everyone is different, of course.  It is worth going off the Cymbalta as your team suggests since you have some liver problems.  If you work hard at the CBT there is a good chance that you will do well.  And if not, remember that there are many anti-depressants that might be a better fit for you.  

Wishing you the best. 

Tim 

Thanks Tim !!!!

I am seeing my therapist today, the CBT one, so I will discuss my symptoms and see what happens next. Cymbalta caused many side effects for the first month I was on it, but after that everything went very well and the only problems were the weight gain and the liver enzymes...Anyway, I am hoping my symptoms were siruational and that CBT will get me to function without meds...

Still on the 40MG of Cymbalta for another 2 weeks...after that we shall see what the psychiatrist thinks....

I noticed people mentioning some new medication that is supposed to work better than Cymbalta

Hello everyone,

I got off Cymbalta 60 mg cold turkey 22 days ago and it has been hell. I had brain zaps which finally went away but those were very scary. I went to the ER about a week ago because I woke up and couldn't breathe apparently I was having major anxiety. Of course, the doctors wanted to give me a pill but I am done with meds. I had taken them for over 20 years and was actually worse off than when I started. Now I am dealing with nausea and a lot of anxiety when \ever I go outside.  I am also very edgy and tired and emotional. I am grateful to find this forum because I need help coping. Sick of feeling horrible in my body and my mind. Thank you,

Dawn

I tapered off Cymbalta in 5 months and I am doing very well off it. I did have some brain zaps, at first, but they eventually went away. However, I have not been able to lose the weight that I gained while I was on it. I exercise, I eat very healthy, I see a nutritionist and an endocrinologist, but I have only lost 10 pounds, of the 80 that I gained while I was on Cymbalta. I do not recommend "going cold turkey" because a taper is much easier for your body to process...

CBT and exposure therapy have worked for me, so I never needed the Cymbalta. I only took it because I was misdiagnosed with depression, instead of panic disorder.

Taking a med for any amount of time then going cold turkey is and has been proven to be very dangerous and irresponsible. Tapering off is the smart and manageable approach.

Eve. Diet and exercise. Much like your tapering off the med now taper on to clean up your diet and slowly increase exercise. Use a tool to log your foods and exercise, I use My....Pal. It works well. Balance your carb, fat, protein. Cycle between some cardio variations and some resistance training. Stretch and try yoga or something to help with the muscle cramps and pains. Taking Cymbalta is also a pain killer in a sense so I'm sure some of your pains before were masked by it. 

I take 30mg and it works well for me. Better than any SSRI ever did by far. It also helps with my back pain from being fused. I don't have weight issues due to several reasons. Good metabolism is one, but, most important is diet and exercise. It helps with my whole body, not just weight.  Good luck!

Haven't posted in a long time. I've been on Cymbalta for a few years at this point. It's time to come off it. I don't need it for depression anymore and have some quick acting anxiety med to be used as needed (a few times a month) and some Trazadone to help with sleep when my brain starts to race. I've been on 30mg since my body processes drugs extremely efficient I'm a cheap date on drugs... A very small amount of Trazadone and I sleep like a baby...

Doc says we are tapering over 1-2 months with monthly visit to make sure we are not going sideways. Starting today it is every 2nd day for 2 weeks. Then every 3rd day for 2 weeks. Check in and see what is going on. Then final chapter will be ween down to every 4th then every 5th over the second month to get it completely out in a very slow approach.

My biggest side effects are sometime it doesn't help at all with anxiety, some sleep issues with ruminating, and inability to have orgasms often. Never had the brain zaps, but it does slow down your brain. No issues with nausea or dizziness. So we'll see how it goes. I'll update a couple of times as I get farther in.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, In2deep4me said:

I've been on 30mg since my body processes drugs extremely efficient I'm a cheap date on drugs... A very small amount of Trazadone and I sleep like a baby...

Actually, this could mean that you are a poor metabolizer of either CYP1A2 or CYP2D6, liver enzymes responsible for metabolizing Cymbalta.

Either that, or your serotonin transporter (SERT) genes are such that you are sensitive to serotonergic drugs.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, In2deep4me said:

Doc says we are tapering over 1-2 months with monthly visit to make sure we are not going sideways. Starting today it is every 2nd day for 2 weeks. Then every 3rd day for 2 weeks. Check in and see what is going on. Then final chapter will be ween down to every 4th then every 5th over the second month to get it completely out in a very slow approach.

Why not try 20 mg for a while, then try the every other day, and so forth?

Best of luck titrating off of it! It can be a doozy. 

Week 1 is done and no real complaints. Mostly complaint is about back pain. The Cymbalta helps with that so I'm taking an Advil or Tylenol a couple of days. I still workout pretty hard at least 5 days/week so it's not surprising.

No real mood swings and only minor sleep issues resolved with a half a Trazadone. Took Vistaril once for an anxiety attack. No brain zaps or other weirdness yet. Some minor headaches but I'm not sure that is the Cymbalta.

Mkl_Pls. -->  I had a genomic test run in 2017 to validate the Cmybalta and Trazadone since it was my 6th or 7th med. We threw almost every SSRI out for various different reasons. I had a very bad reaction to Wellbutrin after a month on it at standard dose. The tests validated I am not a candidate for Wellbutrin. I'm fine with the Cymbalta and Trazadone combo. Both receptors you list I am a normal metabolizer for. We decided to skip the drop to 30 and just follow this plan. We'll see how it goes.

Made it through week 2 with side effects starting to show.

Now late into week 3 and my body/brain is very upset with me tapering off. Back aches most days. Some days I'm getting anxiety attacks pretty hard but they go after an hour. Yesterday had a bad meltdown. Today is better and it happens to be the day I took the Cymbalta. So I can feel it now that getting off this will be painful. The upside so far was I had 2 orgasms that were very spontaneous and surprised us both.

So at 1 every 3rd day it is painful and will reevaluate at the end of next week if we taper down slower if the symptoms don't get worse. I will say that people are right. Getting of these meds hurts.