Sign in to follow this  
Rose66

Where Can You Hide When It's Too Much At Work? The Bathroom?

I was just wondering what other members do when they are lucky enough to be able to work but find it too much sometimes being smily all day.

I like to hide in the stationery room where we keep supplies for the photocopier, paper and pens etc. Its nice and quiet in there and I won't get disturbed.

The bathroom is another option but if anyone sees me go in and not come out for an hour, that's going to look weird and suspicious.

I can't afford not to work at the moment. I have a family to support

I am retired now but when I did work I use to take a walk around outside for lunch sometimes just to get out for fresh air and quiet time.

Lindahurt

Hello,

I'm sure my advice will be somewhat redundant, but hiding is not the answer to any of the problems you may be facing. I completely understand the need to hold onto your job, to play the necessary role day to day despite what you feel inside. I presume that is why you are venting on this forum - you don't find pleasure in daily activities, to the point where it is affecting your life negatively. I strongly recommend speaking with your doctor about your feelings, leaving nothing out. Psychotherapy can be extremely beneficial for those with incipient depression. Medications are always an option, their efficacy is irrefutable, but if you have not tried therapy, I would do so. You could schedule around your work hours, and make it part of your daily routine. As easy as it is to expect your negative feelings to just disappear over time, that is not always the case. It is important to seek the necessary professional help before it causes damage. If keeping your job and performing well are your top priorities, seeking psychotherapy should be as well. We are not meant to merely go through the motions, but to enjoy life. As cliche as this may be, it is true, and there is help available.

Thanks for sharing. Good luck, I wish you the best.

I was just wondering what other members do when they are lucky enough to be able to work but find it too much sometimes being smily all day.

I like to hide in the stationery room where we keep supplies for the photocopier, paper and pens etc. Its nice and quiet in there and I won't get disturbed.

The bathroom is another option but if anyone sees me go in and not come out for an hour, that's going to look weird and suspicious.

I can't afford not to work at the moment. I have a family to support

I've done that so many times in different situations, the bathroom thing I mean. I did get some odd stares from time to time but sometimes being around a lot of people can be a bit too much and we need a breather (which makes the bathroom a bad choice :sigh: )

I guess this could depend on where you work and what your work place is like but I sometimes took a quick break in my car. In one of the places I worked we had a small parking lot just for the employees, so once in a while someone might come out there during break time and I might have to chit chat a tiny bit but overall was a great way to "get away" for a little while.

The washroom is a good place... I've done it quite a bit. I'd rather take a walk outside but my work doesn't allow it. I sometimes take a short walk at a nearby park after I've dismissed the kids from class.

I've decided to try and talk more to my colleagues as my therapist suggested rather than keeping myself 'mousey quiet' as I have been desscribed. I took a break with a colleague today. I've really started being more positive and it is helping me.

I do hope that you find something that works for you,

Girly

Im not working at the moment but when Ive worked in the past it has been mostly office jobs so I often used to go to the toilet for a bit of peace and quiet if I was feeling overwhelmed.

The last job I had was great I was a cleaner so when I was working there was very little in the way of other people round , Id go and do my floor and have it all to myself to do it as I wanted and it was great, it was the only job Ive ever had where I would come to work and sing happily to myself while I was doing the hoovering.

Edited by hocico

Hi Rose

I am very lucky to work in an office, with a tropic garden, ponds, ducks, Egyptian geese and my friend, an Australian black swan outside. I often take a few minutes and go outside. The swan waits by the door for me and calls me when he see's me, so I usually sit with him for a bit while I have some coffee. He usually tries to nibble my clothes. He won't go near anyone else though. It is very calming.

The Egyptian geese at one stage had babies and the babies used to come and jump all over me. LOL

Trace

I worked in a very intense office situation working with several people. There wasn't much opportunity to get up and "hide" somewhere to get away from it all. I did go for coffee and use the restroom for 3 minute breaks away from my desk, phone and coworkers. I would always go for walks outside on longer breaks and lunch. As a note, if you spend too much time away from your desk and your job performance starts slipping, your employer will take note of it. So, if you're spending too much time "hiding", you maybe putting your job in jeopardy.

Sheepwoman

I work for myself at home so being able to work is a 2 sided coin (it's a have to not a choice so I make the best of it). I have a little farm so when I want to hide I tend to head to the barn.