hi i am new here, i just found this today.

i have been depressed for as long as i can remember, i have tried about every antidepressant. i am on celexa now, i take 20 mg a day. it helps a little.

i also have adhd and i take ritalin 20 mg twice a day for that.

i dont feel like i am getting a lot better with the celexa. i have been on it a couple months. i have been on ritalin a couple of years.

i used to have a bit of a drug problem but have been clean over a year and a half. i did that for a couple, maybe 3 years.

it helped my depression for a while until it turned into a disaster.

the only antidepressant i havent tried i think is remeron. i suppose that is the next step. ive tried lexapro, paxil, zoloft, effexor, prozac, wellbutrin, cymbalta. ive been on things like xanax at times when i have been really nerved up about things, but i really dont like it because it makes me so tired, and ive not had to take it for over a year.

i seem like i will get better once in a while but then it will get bad again. that is where i am at right now. i just want to hide or run away. the only difference from normal is usually when i am depressed i dont want to eat, i just come home from work, go to bed, and cry til i go to sleep. sleep is normally my refuge. i dont know if its the celexa or what, but i am starving hungry all the time. im doing better about keeping up with housework and stuff, but when it gets bad everything else will just go downhill, and i will be trying to sleep whenever i can. i will try to get out of work to stay home and hide. its not that bad yet.

i know if i would get out and walk or something i would feel better but i am so tired, it is hard to find the energy to do anything.

i am not sure if i might even be bipolar. i definitely have highs and lows, but the highs...well, they are not really all that high. I more have lows and super lows. LOL

i am married with two teenagers. I work full time at the family business and part time as an RN.

Thank you for reading my story. I look forward to meeting others and learning how to feel better.

Edited by lindahurt

Welcome to the DF Jokergirl!

You sound like in addition to having depression, you have a full load to carry with working so much and caring for two teenagers! Wow, I admire you for that.

If the Celexa seems to work just alright, have you considered asking your Dr. for an increase in your dosage? Maybe that will help. You might also ask about adding another AD to supplement the Celexa if you don't quite feel that you are getting all the response from it that you want.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

:welcomeani: Hello Jokergirl and welcome to DF.

Thanks for joining our community and sharing your story. You are among peers who can relate and understand the struggles of suffering with mental health illnesses. I congratulate you on your sobriety and wish you continued success.

I do hope that Celexa works for you. It can be a headache going through the trial and error process but I hope that this will work for you. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about the highs and lows because that may mean a change in your treatment.

We are glad to have you with us so make yourself comfortable and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Lindahurt

Hey there,

I understand where you are coming from. To touch on your comment about manic-depression, I think it can be left as merely that. What many people do not know is that depression often includes hypomanic states, along with the typical depressive state; it is below the intense manic states of manic-depression. As far as your current situation and feelings, I have a few pieces of advice. First, I would recommend psychotherapy, specifically a behavioral/cognitive direction. Going out and being active is one way of managing depression, and it truly does help. But I understand not having the energy or desire to do so. For this, you should speak with your doctor, probably a psychiatrist, and see if you can be prescribed an adjunct treatment, such as Remeron (generic: mirtazapine). I tried this for a while, and it did help somewhat, but I suffered from akathesia when I reached 30mg. This may not happen with you, so it is always worth a try. At the moment, however, I have been taking Seroquel XR, which is typically prescribed to treat manic-depression and schizophrenia-like symptoms, but it is also being used as an adjunct treatment for major depressive disorder (I take Cymbalta, as it works for me). It is a once-daily tablet like most other medications of its kind, and it helps with sleep. Additionally, it does not make you feel groggy the following morning, and it does seem to give you energy. Furthermore, I have Xanax as well, for panic attacks, but I also do not like taking it. Beyond the drowsiness, I do not like the idea of taking a benzodiazepine daily, as it can be habit-forming. Seroquel XR has prevented me from needing to use it - my panic attacks have nearly diminished. Lastly, I know any addiction can make the situation quite messy. You have been sober for long enough, it would seem, but do not confuse triggers or cravings with symptoms. It takes most addicts 6 months, at absolute minimum, to start feeling like he or she can function without their drug of choice. For many, it takes much longer before they will even benefit from psychotherapy and psychopharmacological methods. As I said, I would not expect this to be a problem for you, but just be cognizant of your feelings. Talk to your doctor and discuss your options. I would recommend Seroquel XR, and I am speaking from experience. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

hi i am new here, i just found this today.

i have been depressed for as long as i can remember, i have tried about every antidepressant. i am on celexa now, i take 20 mg a day. it helps a little.

i also have adhd and i take ritalin 20 mg twice a day for that.

i dont feel like i am getting a lot better with the celexa. i have been on it a couple months. i have been on ritalin a couple of years.

i used to have a bit of a drug problem but have been clean over a year and a half.

it helped my depression for a while until it turned into a disaster.

the only antidepressant i havent tried i think is remeron. i suppose that is the next step. ive tried lexapro, paxil, zoloft, effexor, prozac, wellbutrin, cymbalta. ive been on things like xanax at times when i have been really nerved up about things, but i really dont like it because it makes me so tired, and ive not had to take it for over a year.

i seem like i will get better once in a while but then it will get bad again. that is where i am at right now. i just want to hide or run away. the only difference from normal is usually when i am depressed i dont want to eat, i just come home from work, go to bed, and cry til i go to sleep. sleep is normally my refuge. i dont know if its the celexa or what, but i am starving hungry all the time. im doing better about keeping up with housework and stuff, but when it gets bad everything else will just go downhill, and i will be trying to sleep whenever i can. i will try to get out of work to stay home and hide. its not that bad yet.

i know if i would get out and walk or something i would feel better but i am so tired, it is hard to find the energy to do anything.

i am not sure if i might even be bipolar. i definitely have highs and lows, but the highs...well, they are not really all that high. I more have lows and super lows. LOL

i am married with two teenagers. I work full time at the family business and part time as an RN.

Thank you for reading my story. I look forward to meeting others and learning how to feel better.

Welcome to DF, JokerGirl,

You've tried many SSRI and SNRIs. Have you tried any tricyclics, mood stabilizer,atypical ADs or Maois? Also, combos of meds (like Prozac and Trazodone) can work better as sometimes the AD needs a boost for more effectiveness. This maybe something you and your pdoc could try.

You are able to function quite well despite your depression. With your teenagers and 2 jobs, your plate is overflowing. You're managing to handle everything quite well. Congratulations!!!!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back. You deserve it.

Sheepwoman