Sign in to follow this  
Imaworrywart

Thinking Of Switching From Wellbutrin (Generic) And Buspar To Cymbalta

My period on Wellbutrin has been pretty okay except that my ears are ringing so loud all the time that I am really experiencing hearing loss. I'd really like to explore an alternative. NOTE: Don't do so well on the SSRI's because it makes my legs rigid and I already have mobility problems. I have read up a lot on Cymbalta and like the fact that it could help with my back pain, which is a real.....(ahem)....PAIN.

What I'm wondering is, does Cymbalta act more as an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety med? Is it an energizing med? Is it as bad to withdraw from as Effexor? That was a hideous experience.

I do find that i am way more anxious now than I am depressed. I truly believe that's where the pain in my back stems from from being so scared of everything. I have lots of fears and phobias. For example, fear of traveling in a car. Fear of falling. Fear that when I walk my dog, she will be attacked by a vicious dog. Fear of heights. Fear of anyone with a strong personality types. Fear that I'm not as good as anyone else I'm around. And the list goes on.

Please don't think I'm silly asking these questions. I'm seeing my doc on Wednesday to discuss a med change. Please! Can anyone give me any pointer, advice, yays or nays for this med?

Thanks!

Imaworrywart

Hey there,

If I can stay out of the hospital long enough to finish this sentence, I'll tell you my maybe wrong opinion. :)

I did not like Wellbutrin because of the way it enhanced my anxiety, and gave me this rage that I have never experienced. It is hard to describe: perhaps when one has too much adrenaline that just cannot be released; like a pitcher waiting to throw, but for some reason not being able to, throw that last pitch. It was quite odd and would only come on periodically, but let's just say I would be quite slow in re-entering the Apple store in Chesea after talking to someone so rudely there (for which I then wrote an apology, which is probably even more uncomfortable!). It was like agoraphobia city, and I was taking too much Klonopin; I am only comfortable with my current usage. Well, that all stopped when I switched off of it, and very quickly. I did not have terrible withdrawal from Wellbutrin, though I had to be on two anti-anxeity medications for the washout. I just felt very jittery because I wanted to be off of it so bad, frustrated that it was taking so long (more than is reasonable; again the rage thing), but no overtly physical side effects which I couldn't believe. But hey, I'll take it! Your psychiatrist will take you off of it in a way to minimize suffering, and maybe give you something in the meanwhile to ease the effects of not being on an AD.

As for Cymbalta, it makes sense to try this next! Depression, anxiety, and even muscle pain can be reduced if it jives with your body. I cannot attest to it personally, but I am sure others will chime in, as so many DFers are on it. Remembering the ADs you've been on, this is one I am actually excited for you about (probably for the other two did not work for me...and the first you were on when we met is my enemy for life!).Let us know what your train of thought it and we will try to help you along. I REALLY, REALLY hope this is the one, and will thinking of you Wednesday.

Love,

Liliah

I'maworrywort:

It makes sense to talk with your doctor about Cymbalta. It does have an energizing effect for many. But after time it evens out for most and is approved for general anxiety disorder in the U.S. It can cause insomnia and an increase in anxiety early on.

And yes, it does have withdrawal effect potential. But some doctors know how to handle this fairly well including a short doze of prozac.

Tim

I've been on Depression meds for 14 years -- they would usually be effective for a year or two at most then stop working. I've been taking Cymbalta for about 5 years now and it is working just fine. My Dr. told me that Cymbalta does not seem to stop working like so many of the SSRI drugs do. And my depression is effectively under control.

You should talk to your Dr. about trying it.

Went to the doc today. She was actually very helpful and spent time with me-unlike my last appt. So, here's the new deal. Start 30 mg Cymbalta once a day and go down to 150 of Wellbutrin XL and go down to 5 mg of Buspar once a day.

I'd love to hear if anyone has done this combination. Doc says to take the WB for 1-2 weeks and then stop completely. I am to start the Cymbalta tomorrow morning. She's cutting my Buspar down to 5 mg once a day. I wouldn't mind cutting it out completely, as I don't think it's helping much.

I'm super hopeful that the Cymbalta will be my success story.

Oh! If anyone is on this WB/Cymbalta combo, does that cut down on the initial side affects of the Cymbalta any, since they are both SRNI's? I have to go out of town Thursday after next for four days. Would it be too much to hope for that the Cymbalta would be settling in by that time?

Any encouragement would be lovely.

Imaworrywart

Hi Iamworrywart,

I hope you have fun on your trip. I haven't been on Cymbalta but I hope it will work for you. So well wishes on the new combo.

Lindahurt

Hey,

As a matter of fact, switching between two SSRI's should help with adverse effects. I have been on Cymbalta for roughly two years, with very little side effects. There were a few mild activation side effects, but with you tapering off Wellbutrin simultaneously, you should not notice these. Cymbalta has worked wonders for me, this is irrefutable; it was not, however, one of the 'success stories' you can find online. I do not feel like a completely new person because of this medication. It does help with my symptoms of depression (I am taking 60mg doses). I also take Seroquel XR, as an adjunct treatment for major depressive disorder, and it has been a tremendous help. The only side effect I notice from Cymbalta on a regular basis is dizziness upon standing. This goes away in a matter of seconds, and is common with most antidepressants. Other than that, Cymbalta is quite promising in that aspect.

I have not, however, taken Buspar. I have considered it, since I do not like taking benzodiazepines for anxiety, but I want to let my new dose of Seroquel to take effect before adding on yet another medication. Since you mentioned little difference while taking it, I may not consider it any longer.

Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully Cymbalta works as well for you as it does for me. Keep us posted.

I'maworrywart:

You have a good plan worked out with your doctor. Cymbalta, as you know, takes awhile to work. Like most anti-depressants. But I think you have every reason to believe this is going to be a good thing for you.

Best,

Tim

Went to the doc today. She was actually very helpful and spent time with me-unlike my last appt. So, here's the new deal. Start 30 mg Cymbalta once a day and go down to 150 of Wellbutrin XL and go down to 5 mg of Buspar once a day.

I'd love to hear if anyone has done this combination. Doc says to take the WB for 1-2 weeks and then stop completely. I am to start the Cymbalta tomorrow morning. She's cutting my Buspar down to 5 mg once a day. I wouldn't mind cutting it out completely, as I don't think it's helping much.

I'm super hopeful that the Cymbalta will be my success story.

Oh! If anyone is on this WB/Cymbalta combo, does that cut down on the initial side affects of the Cymbalta any, since they are both SRNI's? I have to go out of town Thursday after next for four days. Would it be too much to hope for that the Cymbalta would be settling in by that time?

Any encouragement would be lovely.

Imaworrywart

I realize this is an old post but wondering if you did successfully switch from wellbutrin to cymbalta and if so how are you doing on the cymbalta. Thanks