Sign in to follow this  
nick123

Severe Anxiety Borderline Agoraphobia

Hey guys hope you are all well

After seeing the psychologist/psychiatrist for a while now and being on lexapro I have seen little improvement in my symptoms. Most of the time i stay in my room or house because whenever I step outside I feel very uncomfortable and frequently have panic attacks. I now realise that there will be no quick recovery, no miracle cure. I am unemployed and most of the time house bound.

I have recently been thinking about what I'm going to do during my slow recovery, as I don't just want to sit here and rot. I live in Australia and you can do complete university courses online, I have been thinking of maybe studying computer programming because as I see it, if I end up house bound for ages this may be a way that I could make money from home. Anyway just felt like writing something and getting it out of my head. I feel like when I talk to my parents they try to offer solutions and just listen.

Hi Nick

If you have been on your meds for a while and you feel like they are not working, please go back to the doc, as often they need an adjustment or a med change. It can take a while to get the right meds for you. A lot of it can be trial and error. Doing a university course on line is a really good idea, but also trying to get out a little can help you break the agrpphobia.

Trace

You are not alone, I am actually also Borderline, and possibly agoraphobic. I am on disability for Panic disorder, and almost all my panic attacks are caused by severe social phobia. I don't know how specific I've been about this to recent docs, but i've never been diagnosed agoraphobia. I am able to go to most of my appointments and get my kids to theirs, but I don't leave my house at any time that isn't necessary. I have become an actual crazy cat lady. I'm 100% hermit, antisocial, and adopted 3 cats over the past year or so, because my kids are my only companions and I get bored when they're not here

I also have what I describe as a "reverse agoraphobia" that's what I call it anyway: over the past several years I have gotten worse and worse until now, I cannot handle anyone coming into my home, even my own sister, or my daughter's best friend. And heaven-forbid maintenance workers need to come in, I've had a bunch of repairs, severe problems that I've been putting off calling about for many months, some up to a couple years, just to keep them from coming in. I never used to be like this, so I'm not sure what it's all about.

Funny you say that about not wanting to let people into your house. When I first became agoraphobic is was so bad if anyone even txt or rung and said they were coming over I would have a panic attack, if someone knocked on the door i would hide in the closet. I think its just when your agoraphobia is at its worse.

I slowly over came it and the agoraphobia all together...... Untill last year... now im working my way out of it slowly. But im getting there.

You are not alone, I am actually also Borderline, and possibly agoraphobic. I am on disability for Panic disorder, and almost all my panic attacks are caused by severe social phobia. I don't know how specific I've been about this to recent docs, but i've never been diagnosed agoraphobia. I am able to go to most of my appointments and get my kids to theirs, but I don't leave my house at any time that isn't necessary. I have become an actual crazy cat lady. I'm 100% hermit, antisocial, and adopted 3 cats over the past year or so, because my kids are my only companions and I get bored when they're not here

I also have what I describe as a "reverse agoraphobia" that's what I call it anyway: over the past several years I have gotten worse and worse until now, I cannot handle anyone coming into my home, even my own sister, or my daughter's best friend. And heaven-forbid maintenance workers need to come in, I've had a bunch of repairs, severe problems that I've been putting off calling about for many months, some up to a couple years, just to keep them from coming in. I never used to be like this, so I'm not sure what it's all about.

Trust me Nick, you are alone in feeling this way. I was having so many panic attacks in my car that I didn't even want to drive or be at home alone. I wanted someone with me all the time, because I knew with that comfort that I would be safe. Things do eventually get better, but remember to have patience and courage. Today I was home alone, and tomorrow, I will out and about, alone. Needless to say I'm nervous, but I know I will be okay.

My best to you.

I'm the same way, I have agoraphobia, as well as other things, and I can't leave the house accept to take my son to appointments. I also don't like people in my house, even family. You should of seen me on my sons brithday when I had over my family, I was a wreck, I covered it well though. I'm going to a new pdoc in June because my current pdoc I've been with for 3 years and I'm still depressed and my anxiety is still sky high. I have bipolar and my meds really need to be adjusted.

Michele

Hey,

I also started off over two years ago with Lexapro, moving from 10 to 20 mg daily. Though it seemed to work at the beginning of treatment, its effects seemed to disappear over time (possible placebo effect). I also know what it is like to be out of school, wishing you had something to do or some way to be productive. Online courses are great for this; I have been reading 10-15 books a month while out of school this year, teaching myself everything there is to know about my field. These behavioral changes can do wonders for anxiety, especially panic disorder with concomitant agoraphobia. I also had panic attacks, mostly for no reason at all, but sometimes triggered by stressors. The worst part about staying at home is that you will condition fear within the house over time as well, agoraphobia is tricky that way. Antidepressants are the best long-term treatment for these feelings; benzodiazepines work great for sudden panic attacks, but they are habit-forming and should only be taken as needed. I would speak to your doctor about all of your symptoms - do your best to be an impartial observer and take note of every symptom, even the ones you are tempted to deem irrelevant. There are many other SSRI's and SNRI's out there that may be more effective than Lexapro. Psychiatric medications are still in their years of trial and error, no two people being the same. Continue to strike a balance between psychotherapy and biomedicine, as this balance is the most effective method of treatment for your conditions.

Don't lose hope. Surely you will find a medication that works for you. In the meantime, maybe asking about benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Valium) may help get you through the trial and error period of antidepressants. In my opinion, they all work well, but Xanax is fast-acting, allowing you to take one when you're on the verge of an attack, and it will prevent it. Again, i must stress to only take them as needed, as they are quite addictive and have the potential for abuse. These are not a long-term preventative; merely a lifeline to help you work your way to an effective antidepressant.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing more.

Hey guys hope you are all well

After seeing the psychologist/psychiatrist for a while now and being on lexapro I have seen little improvement in my symptoms. Most of the time i stay in my room or house because whenever I step outside I feel very uncomfortable and frequently have panic attacks. I now realise that there will be no quick recovery, no miracle cure. I am unemployed and most of the time house bound.

I have recently been thinking about what I'm going to do during my slow recovery, as I don't just want to sit here and rot. I live in Australia and you can do complete university courses online, I have been thinking of maybe studying computer programming because as I see it, if I end up house bound for ages this may be a way that I could make money from home. Anyway just felt like writing something and getting it out of my head. I feel like when I talk to my parents they try to offer solutions and just listen.

I'm developing anxiety about going out for some reason. Can't figure it out (I have my story in other threads), and am scared to see this change in myself because it wasn't an issue before I tried to take my own life and made it through... then returned to an empty home devoid of wife and baby. How does this develop?!