Sign in to follow this  
skin

Royal Wedding

This is going to sound a bit strange. How do you all feel about the Royal Wedding? It seems to have been a depression trigger for me, which is very strange. Considering I am, well, not really anti royal, but more in the don't care camp, I watched the ceremony and started feeling jealous I suppose. I get that feeling I get at any sort of event, especially public or national, where I feel that other people are getting on well with their lives, achieving so much, and I'm just a spectator. I get like this at Christmas and New Year and other peoples weddings. Maybe I think the whole world should be watching me get married.

The strange thing is that I'm not really confident enough (in myself) to get married*, and I'm not Christian, so I can't say that it's something that I want. Yet I suppose I do want something like that. Is it universal acceptance? Universal adoration? Imagine standing on a balcony and seeing tens of thousands of people waving at you. That's got to be a pretty good high.

(*and I don't have a girlfriend and I haven't had a relationship of any kind in over 5 years)

This is going to sound a bit strange. How do you all feel about the Royal Wedding? It seems to have been a depression trigger for me, which is very strange. Considering I am, well, not really anti royal, but more in the don't care camp, I watched the ceremony and started feeling jealous I suppose. I get that feeling I get at any sort of event, especially public or national, where I feel that other people are getting on well with their lives, achieving so much, and I'm just a spectator. I get like this at Christmas and New Year and other peoples weddings. Maybe I think the whole world should be watching me get married.

The strange thing is that I'm not really confident enough (in myself) to get married*, and I'm not Christian, so I can't say that it's something that I want. Yet I suppose I do want something like that. Is it universal acceptance? Universal adoration? Imagine standing on a balcony and seeing tens of thousands of people waving at you. That's got to be a pretty good high.

(*and I don't have a girlfriend and I haven't had a relationship of any kind in over 5 years)

Just a small piece of something from me - keep in mind that what you see of people is just a tiny fraction of that person's life. There are many more things that go on in other's lives that aren't always as glamorous as they might appear from a television screen, or other snippet of observance. I, personally, would never want my life to be so publicized - I like having the option to reserve certain things that I wouldn't necessarily want others to be aware of. I'm sure that you will have your own time to shine, and in your own right / way. Sometimes it just takes some hard work to get what we want.

I enjoyed watching it I would say. I wouldn't say it made me jealous 'cause I don't find Kate Middleton attractive. I personally felt very happy for them though.

I usually get jealous when I see other people who are happy and think I should have that life were it not for the burden of depression. Its not rational thinking though and sometimes it just comes automatically from one's current state of mind.

Personally, I could care less about the royal wedding. I would not like to have my wedding publicized around the world. However, it's the royal family with all the pomp and circumstance. It's hard for them to have a private life. It's just something that doesn't interest me.

We perceive others getting on with life. Do they struggle with life? I would say to a certain degree they do. For us with depression, the struggle is greater but we can move forward and get to a better level in life.

Sheepwoman

I'd say yes, I do feel the same jealousy watching couples walking around campus or kissing on the beach or whatever... But I don't feel jealous for celebrities. Don't get me wrong, I hate a lot of them because they usually abuse their fame and power and money and are completely undeserving of it (by virtue of being horrible people, not that they didn't work very hard to get where they are (they did)). It's just I would never want to be bugged by the press and paparazzi all day :P But as for the jealousy of other people, I think that's normal. I know that when I get a girl, I'm gonna appreciate the experience a lot more than most other people...and I think that that's certainly a tradeoff of depression. It might not be a fair/even trade...but it exists nonetheless.

I watched some of it and enjoyed it very much. For me it was like a fairy tale or a play and as I love fashion, I liked to watch the dresses. It

I would have to say I enjoyed watching it, it was a nice switch from being glued to the devastation in Alabama. And I also have to say that Kate is a very beautiful lady. The only part I really despised is the media having to decipher every little thing that was said between them.

Yeah I tried to avoid the media craze and didn't even watch the wedding. Although their lives will be scrutinized and they will have no privacy at all, I imagine their lives would be way better than mine. But lives like those are like 1 in 2 billion chance of having. They will get to do a lot of amazing things but it's not sensible to compare our lives to theirs.

Royal wedding royal wedding... doesn't mean anything to me. People are strange; how many people in London celebrating this ceremony actually have Christian beliefs and follow rules as per the bible? It doesn't mean anything other than Kate is now part of the royal family. Good for her eh? Apart from that, wedding to me means nothing. You can commit to a relationship without it. And it's free unlike a divorce.

What should matter in life is that you're happy and a wedding shouldn't really be required to be part of that.

Edited by kirkwuk

I watched every minute of it and enjoyed it. Lol, I just love weddings period. It just so happen to be the royal wedding.

Lindahurt

Tell me about it.

I was so jealous that Kate Middleton got to become a princess, every girl's childhood dream at one point or another.

And to think that my wedding will never be as grand and seen globally as hers makes me feel super jealous. She will never have any money problems, and yes she gets followed around by paparrazzi, but that's hardly a bad thing to most young people nowadays. Everyone wants to be famous.