Hi Grant

From what I can see is that the FDA has disapproved this med and it is also not available in the UK and across Europe. Don't hold me to it, but it seems that it is near impossible to get hold of and the manufacturer has stopped making it. This is just what I have come up doing a little research. If it is not approved in so many countries, there must be a very good reason.

Trace

the medicine seeme to cause problems with the liver and had at least a somewhat higher than usual tendency for abuse or addiction because of its stimulant effect. Therefore, several countries have withdrawn it from market

Tim

If you did saome reseach looking for ADs that don't affect libido, this one says it doesn't. But it does have precautions. It is also mildly addictive per the info I read and should not be prescribed to anyone who has or had a substance abuse problem. The FDA took it off the approved medications and it can no longer be obtained in the US. It's no longer available for use in the UK, probably for the same reasons. Trace did a little more research that it's no longer in production. If you see it's available online, you will need a prescription from a pdoc; however, it's highly unlikely that you will be able to obtain this medication.

Sheepwoman

To my knowledge, this medicine is no longer made by any legitimate pharmaceutical company and is no longer available anywhere in the world. It's not FDA approved in the US either. I would forget about it, as it seems to have gone the way of the Dodo.

This is unfortunate, imo, and for whatever reason it was taken off the market- mild abuse potential, rare complications, etc, it's one less atypical anti-depressant option available.

As far as I know Amineptine has a tricyclic structure, but only works by inhibiting the re uptake of Dopamine.

Dexamphetamine, Methylphenidate, more or less, work via the same pathways, even stronger, as they also affect the re uptake of Noradrenaline and other catecholamines.

So in this case, Amineptine is a "cleaner drug", more specific.

I have no idea why Amineptine has bad reputation, while the stronger meds like Adderall and Ritalin are easily prescribed for ADHD, even in children.