In Hell

Hertz

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a sort of hellish world, devoid of compassion and understanding. No one gives a s*** about anyone.

I'm aware there are some people in the world who are truly compassionate and can love and encourage you and make you feel important, because my therapist told me so.

At first I was amazed by this and it gave me hope. But I've met quite a few people since then and I have not met anyone like that ever, except maybe a homeless guy I met a few years ago and to whom I bought a meal. I find it very anguishing to realize love is so scarce in this world.

When I watch tv or a movie all I hear is "make your dreams come true, be incredible, yes you can!". What about love? Person to person contact, a true connection, not just teammates on a quest to build a new tower of babel.

I read your post Hertz and you made a great observation. When you do watch the media it does appear that many are out for themselves but there are some good things going on in the world where people are volunteering and helping each other. Others will be greatly blessed by your presence and appreciation for humanity. Find something you love that will help others and in return they will be forever grateful. Its amazing what a smile and hug will do for a hurting soul.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt

I'm sorry to hear that you don't know anyone like that. It is true that a lot of people only care about themselves and are not very compassionate or loving, but if everyone looked around and saw those people, and then decided that they didn't care anymore and they would just look out for themselves from then on, it would be a fairly hellish world. However, if you decide to be loving and caring to everyone you meet, then your community is no longer devoid of loving people.

Also, I tend to think that we'd be surprised how many people really do care, but just don't know what to do or say to help those around them at all times. It can be hard to reach out to others around you when you don't know them very well.

I care about people. I love everyone, even if they do pi** me off or hate me. I'm never nice to people because I expect them to be kind in turn. It's not about evening the score or anything like that. It's about loving.

I read your post Hertz and you made a great observation. When you do watch the media it does appear that many are out for themselves but there are some good things going on in the world where people are volunteering and helping each other. Others will be greatly blessed by your presence and appreciation for humanity. Find something you love that will help others and in return they will be forever grateful. Its amazing what a smile and hug will do for a hurting soul.

Lindahurt

Yes there are people who are "volunteering and helping", but I don't see it in everyday life enough.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't know anyone like that. It is true that a lot of people only care about themselves and are not very compassionate or loving, but if everyone looked around and saw those people, and then decided that they didn't care anymore and they would just look out for themselves from then on, it would be a fairly hellish world. However, if you decide to be loving and caring to everyone you meet, then your community is no longer devoid of loving people.

Also, I tend to think that we'd be surprised how many people really do care, but just don't know what to do or say to help those around them at all times. It can be hard to reach out to others around you when you don't know them very well.

I care about people. I love everyone, even if they do pi** me off or hate me. I'm never nice to people because I expect them to be kind in turn. It's not about evening the score or anything like that. It's about loving.

It's true there are people who feel love for others but express it awkwardly or not at all. To me it's the same as if they didn't love at all. I also realized that some people will say "I love you" abundantly, but will not act in consequence. For example, my father often tells me he loves me, but when I talk to him I get the feeling my words have no importance and he's just interested in being heard.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a sort of hellish world, devoid of compassion and understanding. No one gives a s*** about anyone.

I'm aware there are some people in the world who are truly compassionate and can love and encourage you and make you feel important, because my therapist told me so.

At first I was amazed by this and it gave me hope. But I've met quite a few people since then and I have not met anyone like that ever, except maybe a homeless guy I met a few years ago and to whom I bought a meal. I find it very anguishing to realize love is so scarce in this world.

When I watch tv or a movie all I hear is "make your dreams come true, be incredible, yes you can!". What about love? Person to person contact, a true connection, not just teammates on a quest to build a new tower of babel.

Yep, welcome to the world. Love is a word and emotion that is used to take advantage of those prepared to believe in it. Most people are so spoilt and self centered that they believe themselves entitled to get anything and everything they want, no matter who suffers as a consequence. They tell themselves it's ok or become detached for many reasons; because everybody does it, because it's just a little/meaningless thing, because bad things happen and people should/will get over it etc etc. So that's the world we live in, the bad far outweigh the good, and the good become worn out from all the crap and slowly lose hope until they reach the point of being bad. If the good people met each other more often it'd help, but statistically it rarely happens.

*end cynicism*

I completely agree with a world lost of compassion and understanding. Nobody sees eye to eye anymore we all just assume what we thought the other person was talking about. So in a world full of assumptions, where is the truth? Then also why is it that those greedy self centered people always seem happy? They have friends, a nice smile, confidence, yet they lack the most important human trait of empathy. The only thing I have out of anything I just stated was empathy. My best advice to you Hertz is to stick to the people on the DF. After feeling lonely, scared, and hopeless all day I came on here and read your post. I sympathize with you. I share a misunderstood internal pain as well.

Yep, welcome to the world. Love is a word and emotion that is used to take advantage of those prepared to believe in it. Most people are so spoilt and self centered that they believe themselves entitled to get anything and everything they want, no matter who suffers as a consequence. They tell themselves it's ok or become detached for many reasons; because everybody does it, because it's just a little/meaningless thing, because bad things happen and people should/will get over it etc etc. So that's the world we live in, the bad far outweigh the good, and the good become worn out from all the crap and slowly lose hope until they reach the point of being bad. If the good people met each other more often it'd help, but statistically it rarely happens.

*end cynicism*

It's true the good people rarely meet each other. Meeting new people is hard, and you stumble on many douchebags along the way. But like you say it's statistical, so eventually it can bear fruit.

At least now I'm forced to meet new people and develop more social skills. But I get the impression higher level social skills are meant for business and running a family, i.e. accomplishing complex tasks with the help of others. I find this very impersonal and unexciting.

I completely agree with a world lost of compassion and understanding. Nobody sees eye to eye anymore we all just assume what we thought the other person was talking about. So in a world full of assumptions, where is the truth? Then also why is it that those greedy self centered people always seem happy? They have friends, a nice smile, confidence, yet they lack the most important human trait of empathy. The only thing I have out of anything I just stated was empathy. My best advice to you Hertz is to stick to the people on the DF. After feeling lonely, scared, and hopeless all day I came on here and read your post. I sympathize with you. I share a misunderstood internal pain as well.

What's sad I find is that compassion and understanding seem to develop mostly in people who have suffered greatly, and maybe some people who had exceptional mentors. Maybe a sadistic person makes others suffer so that they understand his own pain. It would be great if people could acquire those qualities without going through an ordeal. Maybe there is a way and it hasn't been discovered yet.

It's true the good people rarely meet each other. Meeting new people is hard, and you stumble on many douchebags along the way. But like you say it's statistical, so eventually it can bear fruit.

At least now I'm forced to meet new people and develop more social skills. But I get the impression higher level social skills are meant for business and running a family, i.e. accomplishing complex tasks with the help of others. I find this very impersonal and unexciting.

It can take many many years to meet a single one. You can use higher level social skills for anything you want - most people choose to use them for bad things, but if you think of something exciting you can use them for that too, unless you only gain excitement from being alone.