Medication For Bipolar

cvoor

Dear bipolars,

I take lithium for 22 years now, and 100mg of Seroquel to help me sleep when manic for about 10 years, and that's it. I am ultradian so I am mad several times a day in spite of this. I have tried over a dozen other meds that did nothing for me so I am stuck with this.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I am now on Zoloft, Lamictal, and Repersidone,Lyrica,Mirapex. I liked Seroquel xr, but my insurance would not cover it, and it made me very tired all day.

I take Risperidone, buspar and clonopin. The risperidone is the most recent drug that my doctor has added to my meds and it has made a huge impact on controlling my symptoms of BP. My family has agreed that I am much easier to live with now that I am taking the risperidone.

JF

Gedon stopped my racing thoughts and anxiety, but made me more manic ! Risperdal gave me weird muscle twitches, but did stop my racing thoughts. Now I am on Lamictal which doesn't help mania much I have read, but I am more depressed than anything so that's fine. I also take sleep meds for chronic insomnia and racing thoughts.

I take Risperidone, buspar and clonopin. The risperidone is the most recent drug that my doctor has added to my meds and it has made a huge impact on controlling my symptoms of BP. My family has agreed that I am much easier to live with now that I am taking the risperidone.

JF

I would like to give a shout out and a special thanks to Sheepwoman who helped me realize that with the right medication, I can control the symptoms of BP disorder and improve the quality of life for not just me but also my family.

JF

I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for two weeks now, and I'm on 3x daily Divalproex Sodium 250mg. It doesn't work very well with me, so I'm going to my next appointment in seach for new medication.

I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for two weeks now, and I'm on 3x daily Divalproex Sodium 250mg. It doesn't work very well with me, so I'm going to my next appointment in seach for new medication.

Unless you are having bad side effects you should probably expect that it would take up 4-6 weeks for any med to fully work. I didn't take my Lamictal today, because I am concerned about a possible rash. But of course run it by your PDOC as they are the expert.

Edited by danielsaun

Lamictal 300mg/day

Paxil 20mg/day

Trazodone 50mg/day (for sleep)

Neurontin 600mg/day

Clonazepam 1-2mg/day as needed

Xanax .25mg as needed

I was on Seroquel for a year (as much as 300mg/day), Nortriptyline for a few months (don't recall the dose), and very briefly (2 days) on Abilify (don't recall the dose). I had very negative side effects and I couldn't tolerate them.

I'll probably be discontinuing the Neurontin later this week.

Between all the psych meds and the non-psych meds I take, the pharmacy really loves me. My insurance company, not so much.

JF

I would like to give a shout out and a special thanks to Sheepwoman who helped me realize that with the right medication, I can control the symptoms of BP disorder and improve the quality of life for not just me but also my family.

JF

This just sucks. I just got a call from my pdoc. My blood work came back and my prolactin level is way too high due to the risperidone. Now the doctor has to take me off of the risperidone and put me on something else. This really sucks because it was really working for me and now I can't take it anymore :verysad3:

Amitryptalline. Lamictal, Neurontin and Risperdol. Zoloft may be added back in the future.

Sheepwoman

What do all these meds do in your brain? what is the function of each one? I was looking at the posts above...wow so many meds. I'm on wellbutrin 150 and am on 2nd week of lamictal 50mg. I'm sooo tired from the lamictal. Have you heard this before? From these posts risperdol sounds good. what does it do? I also clonapin as needed and ambien as needed both usually at night for sleep.

help please sooo frustrated

aquarian 65

JF

JF

This just sucks. I just got a call from my pdoc. My blood work came back and my prolactin level is way too high due to the risperidone. Now the doctor has to take me off of the risperidone and put me on something else. This really sucks because it was really working for me and now I can't take it anymore :verysad3:

Update! I was referred to an enodocrinologist who gave me the green light to continue taking risperidone. Looks like my pdoc should just stick to psychiatry and leave the medical stuff to the doctors who know what they are doing.

Update! I was referred to an enodocrinologist who gave me the green light to continue taking risperidone. Looks like my pdoc should just stick to psychiatry and leave the medical stuff to the doctors who know what they are doing.

Thanks for the update JerseyFrank. Glad everything is working out for you.

Lindahurt

• 2 weeks later...

As you can see from most of the posts - the best way to manage Bipolar symptoms is with a drug cocktail of different meds all working in tangent.

It starts with the anti-depressant which can cause hypo-mania. Next comes the mood stabilizer to offset the hypo-mania. Then there are the sleeping pills to cure the insomnia caused by the other meds. Then the anti-anxiety, and possibly a bump from an anti-psychotic depending on which symptoms remain... What you end up with usually depends on what you started with... Each med has to work with all the others, AND they have to be pretty free of side effects with your particular chemistry. It usually takes several months to get everything working just right and once you have the cocktail there will always be tweaking of the dosages depending on if any of the meds stop working like they used to etc...

Meds below...

Edited by msanjelpie