Stanford's Sapolsky On Depression In The U.S.

Forum Admin

Stanford Professor Robert Sapolsky, posits that depression is the most damaging disease that you can experience. Right now it is the number four cause of disability in the US and it is becoming more common. Sapolsky states that depression is as real of a biological disease as is diabetes.

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
replace a bad YouTube link

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I love Sapolsky. It's so interesting to see how his experiences with depression have informed his research interests and writings. I refer to him as Professor Longhair or Baboon-Hater-In-Chief. The later because he once in a tv program said he really doesn't like baboons (which he field studied for decades) as animals because they're so vicious and cruel to each other, he was probably silently thinking, because they remind me of humans.

Edited by alpheus

• 1 month later...

How crazy this is pinned here. I just recently saw this talk, only because I had discovered the whole education lectures series on youtube and you can watch the entire term's lectures from his Human Behavioral Biology class there, so I was watching those and got curious about this guy and therefore found his depression lecture when I wasn't even looking for anything depression related.

Also funny that alpheus posted on this since that was one of my pals from last time I was here on DF. :) And funny too what Sapolsky said about baboons; you're probably right about what he was thinking; ha.

He's a good prof..... kinda glad I got reminded of those lectures though because I should go back to that as my brain distraction from being depressed and zombie-like. I can't remember what made me stop watching them.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I have seen this before.The biology of how depression works was interesting. But his constant pacing was distracting. That is the way I am...can't seem to

stay still, and it made me wonder about why he couldn't.

I realize that major depression is the most severe of the illnesses, but I hope he will do a lecture on other kinds of depression, like endogenous and agitated depression.

• 1 month later...

actaully agitated and endogenous depressions are specific severe forms of major depression. So technically they are more severe. In the current itteration of DSM, both probably would be specified as 'with melancholic features'. Watchted the video, seems to me that this dude doesnt really know what he is talking about as he is rehashing outdated theories. Hilarious also when he likens an elephant goring someone to psychomotor retardation.

• 1 month later...

actaully agitated and endogenous depressions are specific severe forms of major depression. So technically they are more severe. In the current itteration of DSM, both probably would be specified as 'with melancholic features'. Watchted the video, seems to me that this dude doesnt really know what he is talking about as he is rehashing outdated theories. Hilarious also when he likens an elephant goring someone to psychomotor retardation.

Looks like someone got a psychology degree. Sapolsky is a behavioral neuroscientist, so that means the majority of his work encompasses the neurobiology and relating that to behavior in primates. Doing his type of work he doesn't have time to keep up with the newest definitions the APA came up with yesterday.

Looks like someone got a psychology degree. Sapolsky is a behavioral neuroscientist, so that means the majority of his work encompasses the neurobiology and relating that to behavior in primates. Doing his type of work he doesn't have time to keep up with the newest definitions the APA came up with yesterday.

Actually i work as a scientist in the medical field but whatever. I dont know exactly when this lecture was but, the theories he talks about are outdated and he doesnt seem that he knows much about the clinical manifestations of depression. Maybe the people in the labs should get out of their lab coats and start sudying actual people first before creating unrealistic mouse models of depression? Actaully did you know that the mouse models they use for studying the efficacy of novel treatments are modelled after the psychological theory of learned helplessness that was formulated in the 70's of the previous century? Anyway, psychology has since eveolved...

EdIt: and for reference the APA that keeps reiterating new versions of the DSM, that is actually the american Psychiatric association.

Edited by sc2

Actually i work as a scientist in the medical field but whatever. I dont know exactly when this lecture was but, the theories he talks about are outdated and he doesnt seem that he knows much about the clinical manifestations of depression. Maybe the people in the labs should get out of their lab coats and start sudying actual people first before creating unrealistic mouse models of depression? Actaully did you know that the mouse models they use for studying the efficacy of novel treatments are modelled after the psychological theory of learned helplessness that was formulated in the 70's of the previous century? Anyway, psychology has since eveolved...

EdIt: and for reference the APA that keeps reiterating new versions of the DSM, that is actually the american Psychiatric association.

Gee, wow you sure showed me. U Put sum werds that r really HARD 2 understand. Really? As a "scientist" you must surely understand that fundamental neurobiology is tested in animal models and then those findings are used to theorize how that would apply in humans. They certainly are not testing the qualitative behavior. If you really want to go that route try citing specific examples and maybe linking me to the peer-reviewed journal article supporting your claims so that others may be so enlightened Anyway, feel free to wave your virtual e-peen and intellect somewhere where it might be helpful; like yahoo answers or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...