• fundamentalist Christian
    • liberal Christian
    • fundamentalist Jewish
    • liberal Jewish
    • Buddhist
    • Hindu
    • Muslim
    • New Ager/pagan/wiccan(specify)
    • Agnostic - seeker/disinterested (specify)
    • Atheist - dislikes all religions/Atheist - not interested(specify)
    • Other (Specify)

It is time for a new topic on how would you define yourself?

Post away and have fun.

Trace

Here are the last few posts from the last topic:

I would define myself as agnostic but spiritual. I do believe in science and evolution but I also believe there is a "beauty" in nature as a force that guides man. I think that force that caused evolution is something to respect (whether you call it god, the universe, the universal mother etc}. I was raised moderate christian but my mother remarried a religious fundamental christian who was extremely abusive and prejudiced toward people who did not follow his point of view...this turned me off to his church as well as his faith in total. I do respect my kinda, caring and respectful Christian friends who can respect our differences in opinion and belief but I will be immediately defensive and rageful to anyone who tries to be "forceful, pushy, or rude" about mine. I just think we should show each other mutual respect no matter what belief we have.. there are many paths up the mountain, not one is "right" or "wrong" only different.

any other white witches here? pagan and proud!

I said agnostic. I know for sure i dont believe in any kind of god or deity, but i do have some spiritual beliefs such as karma, reincarnation etc... i share many of my personal beliefs with buddhists, but wouldnt go as far as to call myself buddhist

I went for agnostic seeker. I hope it means what i think it means..

I'm basicall more into finding truth and answers in gaining awareness of my self rather than from other perspectives.

I hope none of what i said offends in any way. I just don't really know about those things

Well, I'm a Christian; and while I'm definitely not a fundamentalist, I hesitate to call myself liberal... so I guess if there was a "moderate" option I would vote that :hearts:

I may have misinterpreted this (please excuse me if that's the case), but in what sense are you defining the word "Liberal"? "Liberal" is a word that has been grossly misappropriated and twisted by American politics. There's also Classical Liberalism (a school that I largely follow) and Reform Liberalism (the variety that US politicians are usually talking about today). America and any democracy with a plentiful supply of liberty and freedom is called a "Liberal Democracy".

In the case of this thread, a "Liberal Christian" ("Liberal" used strictly in the religious, and not political sense) would mean that you don't rigidly stick to a literal and dogmatic interpretation of the Bible, and the practitioner does not feel that one is condemned to Heck-Fire (is the "H" word censored here?) if they happen to live a life that doesn't adhere to every single rule on every page of the Bible (I can only imagine trying to trying to stick with that and not end up totally isolated and in jail!).

Boy, I may have gone into an entirely too-long explanation over your one little post. erm.... sorry about that! And have a nice day. :flowers:

I'm somewhere along the lines between agnostic and atheist or agnostic atheist I guess? Lol. I just read the god delusion by famous atheist Richard Dawkins and it opened my eyes. First I feel that we cannot define what god is because we are putting limits on what he could possibly be if he exists. I tend to adopt logic and science when approaching questions such as where did we come from, how can this happen, etc.

We could also try to rationalize or reason the existence of god, but the very act of reasoning is hardly applicable to seeing if god exists because we have no clue what he is or is not and as such, how can we try to rationalize him when it outside the limits of rationalization.

Basically I take in all the information I can regarding this subject. My mind is always searching for a conclusion I am relatively comfortable with. I don't believe in any religion, the use of organized religion, scripture, miracles, divine experiences, prayer, etc.

My god, if he exists is completely outside the limits of anything we can imagine and I don't think we can give him personality traits like we do to each other. I also highly believe in scientific evidence and I don't have any conflict about the god I imagine and scientific reasoning.

I almost checked Buddhist because that's the closest to what I am. However, I checked "other" instead. My reasoning for it is that I wouldn't define myself in this fashion.

It can get into territory where defining people and labeling them can be counterproductive. If I say I'm Buddhist, that carries certain connotations and you may have preconceptions that are not entirely accurate. It's the same reason that I never like to use the word "god" when talking about what I believe. It carries far too many ideas and preconceptions that vary from person to person to be useful.

Born into a mixed household, mother Christian but not really practicing, father agnostic, uncle Buddist, grandparents Nordic pagans. Most people in my country is a mixture. I am Christian and a Nordic pagan by culture and probably religion too. Odin and Thor are as real to me as God and Jesus.

I believe in the afterlife and love buddism as well. Guess I

Atheist. Complete and utter.

This provides me with as much joy as it does despair.

Despair, because of the human urge to find 'meaning' where there is none. Despair, because of the impulse to anthropomorphise the universe in order to make it understandable, or simply more sympathetic. I'm guilty of this. So occasionally, I'll look up at the stars and curse the entirety of existence for its indifference.

But when I regain my senses, I see just how ineffably beautiful and mysterious it all is. How humbling and awesome. How there is no one to curse and nothing to curse them for. And that appreciation brings me joy.

My worldview (as far as spirituality is concerned) doesn't make me happy, nor does it make me depressed.

It strengthens my moments of happiness while making my sojourns in darkness slightly bleaker.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

(Spiritually. Obviously I'd love to be rid of depression.)

Religion for me is mainly about the community. I wouldn't say that I believe in all the specifics of my religion, but I'm past arguing about it. I appreciate that I'm part of a community where folks will help each other out. I do believe there is something beyond this life -- but I don't know what it is. Pretty much comfortable not knowing. I like that there is mystery in life. Not everything has to be explained or make sense. I'm not a rationalist.

Ask me when I feel strong I would say atheist unless you were my family, feel normal I would say agnostic unless your my family, feel bad I say something anything that cares.

I pray on occasion, but mostly I don't have a religion or spiritual belief.

Well, depends on who I am talking to. To my family & coworkers I am a Christian. My friends don't care. My husband doesn't care, he's agnostic and doesn't think much about it. I revere nature, I think the divine is all around us, learning about different religions is a hobby of mine. I would most likely be considered a Pagan who's not come out of the "broom-closet" as it were. I am only willing to admit this here because there is next to no chance of ever actually meeting any one or them telling my family and causing problems.

Agnostic Pagan Buddhist. There's something out there and he/ she/it/ they are keeping an eye on me. Or there's not and I just have a VERY good self preservation instinct. There may or may not be an afterlife, and I worship nothing, but acknowledge several forces at play in my life.

It's hard to say without more than single word definitions as people seem to have their own. I personally think you are either theist or atheist, in that either you believe in a god or you do not and so they are opposite sides of the coin - but that does not prevent one being agnostic as well as it is a statement on knowledge and not belief and is not a "middle point" between the two at all. I also don't think atheism is anything more than a lack of a theistic position and it's fallicious to ask people to prove the non-existence of something so many millions of vague descriptions.

With that in mind I am an agnostic atheist, and religion really doesn't matter to me or affect my life.

When I'm anxious, I become agnostic - with a rabid hope that there is a God and a purpose to all the craziness.

When I'm not anxious, I'm convinced of that. Though I've identified as a Catholic since birth, I truly belief there is truth in all the world's Religions.

Pantheist (God and the Universe are the same thing, and since we are made up of the same stuff as the universe, we are part of the essence of what is to be considered 'God'.)

More specifically, I believe that God and Energy are the same thing, and matter is just a more 'dense' form of energy.

This God/Energy has intent and purpose, and since we are part of god, our own intent and purpose shape our reality. (This process is widely popularized recently by movements such as The Secret, which partially agrees with my worldview.)

Edited by ApatheticSimian

I started Catholic, but at the age of 18 I was violated and felt enough guilt as being the sinner and cause, that i burried it for 27 years. Now I don't know, my faith did not last.

I grew up in a very loose Christian household. Now that I'm almost 30 I consider myself a very enthusiastic Agnostic, hoping to be proven one way or the other.

I consider myself a non-denominational born-again Christian, but respect others right to believe whatever they want. I'm by no means a bible thumper, in fact I try to avoid religious debates because it seems like it goes nowhere anyway. Most of us, whatever we happen to believe are pretty set in our ways. I doubt I could convince an atheist that God does exist, and I doubt an atheist could convince me that He doesn't. I'm not very active in my faith though, I haven't been to church in a long time. I would like to go back one of these days.

I am an atheist who dislikes all religions because so much harm has done in the world in the name of religion.

I guess I would say I'm a spiritual agnostic.

I firmly believe in evolution and natural selection and all that comes with it.

But I see beauty in nature and life that, because there is no human understanding of it, is a mystery.

Studying Psychology at uni has reinforced this. We know so little about how our brains work!

When I feel really blue I sometimes sit outside and talk to the universe. Regardless of whether or not there is anything there to hear me, it helps.