Sign in to follow this  
bob25

Switching From Parnate To Nardil

Hi all,

I have just switched from Parnate to Nardil and was wondering if anyone else had done this. My main concern is that Parnate helped somewhat with my depression but did little if anything for anxiety.

I was wondering if anyone had had moderate success on Parnate and then had much greater success on Nardil? I have read of people being on one or the other but few that have changed from one to the other. Just wondering if I can expect any better results from Nardil seeing as it is also an MAOI.

If anyone has any experience with this your comments would be welcome

Thanx

Guest lucyvp

Hi all,

I have just switched from Parnate to Nardil and was wondering if anyone else had done this. My main concern is that Parnate helped somewhat with my depression but did little if anything for anxiety.

I was wondering if anyone had had moderate success on Parnate and then had much greater success on Nardil? I have read of people being on one or the other but few that have changed from one to the other. Just wondering if I can expect any better results from Nardil seeing as it is also an MAOI.

If anyone has any experience with this your comments would be welcome

Thanx

Bob,

I don't know anything about MAOIs, but we have a DF member who has tons of info on this subject and is great about sharing it. His name is bigd847. You should message him, in case he misses your post.

Welcome to DF! :welcomeani:

There is some evidence that Nardil has a stronger helpful effect on anxiety. And that it has a slightly stronger positive record over the long haul. Clearly, everyone reacts differently to the medicines, but your doctor made a reasonable choice in trying you out on Nardil.

Keep in good communication with your doctor.

Let us know how it goes.

Tim

The following is my opinion only. I have switched from Nardil to Parnate. Parnate was no where near as effective but I have no anxity component. What I did have is very resistent depression. The Nardil you are about to switch to was for the most effective med I have ever took for my depresion. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. The MAOI's are not all the same as SSRI's feel to me. They are however much harder to take than SSRI's because it will take some responcibility on your part. The food restrictions are a real good idea to follow, the med restrictions !!!!!!!(MUST)!!!!!!!! be followed. No Joke. Nardil is more sensitive to these restrictions. A single dose of say, over the counter decongestent you might raise your blood presure high enough to stroke. You should get one of those medi-alert bracelets or pendents to wear saying that you take Nardil. There are injecabel pain meds you might get at an emergency room that would be fatel. OK that was the scarey part. For my self all these things ment nothing if Nardil could , not even cure but just make my depression liveabel. That it did. I still take a MAOI today. I wish you the best of luck and tell us how you are fairing on your washout time for Parnate.

Bigd

Edited by bigd847

Thanks all for your replies. The switch has been hard to gauge as I have a terrible cold at the moment that came on just prior to coming off the parnate. Moods are up and down of course but hopefully that will go in time. I'm starting on 45mg and then up to 60mg after one week. Fingers crossed. It's been three years now and I'm at the end of my rope (metaphorically). Don't want to be reaching for the klonopin every other hour. Anyway thanks again it is so encouraging to hear from others that have been through it