Sign in to follow this  
Trace

What Helps Your Depression Most? #2

Getting Better  

372 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found helps your depression most?

• Talk therapies
    • Medication
    • Support of friends and relatives
    • Self help books
    • Support groups like DF
    • Exercise
    • Improving your diet
    • Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
    • A combination of all the above
    • Other ( Please list )

Exercise and medication. Just one by itself won't do it, it has to be both. My optimum treatmeant is my regular high dose of SSRIs and being in the running habit. It doesn't stop me going into an episode but it restricts the fall and bounces me back up to normal more quickly. The difficulty is that I can't exercise when I'm very ill so I have to wait until it starts to lift and then battle and battle to get myself into exercise again but the faster I do it the better.

My family are beyond brilliant but love doesn't feel like love when I'm ill, it feels like guilt and shame. I do get to the point where I don't actually enjoy doing anything so no distraction help. The only thing I can do is go through it. Findng a little bit of comfort in my dogs just being my dogs is probably the last thing to go and thankfully I've rarely experienced that being all the way gone.

When coming out of an episode I find that's the best time for me to write about it, so I do that, try and process things that way.

Edited by acm

I find that what helps me more than anything is looking at adult films or chatting about sex with others. It's my way of taking a vacation from my life. This has begun to cause problems in my relationship with my fiance who also suffers from depression and anxiety. I realize it hurts her but I feel that everybody has their own way of coping with their problems and this is mine. I have never wanted any kind of relationship with those I have chatted with, nor do I 'feel' anything for them. I feel much better afterwards and my day goes by much better.

Edited by NorthernStar
TOS

For me.....First is: trains... its childish and i have been told so, by my own family (except my mother) that i should be into something less for children like football or baseball.....but in all honesty.... the sound of a train, its horn or whistle (i espically love steam locomotives.) have made me happier than anything even if its a somber sound, i love it.

second: and i know this might make me seem like a pedo, but i assure you im not, is My little Pony: Frindship is magic, yes....i am one of those Bronies, im open about it, but its just the way it was made, the way each episode goes.....it made me forget all about my depression at one point, for about 2 months, it seemed like nothing could stop me, i was the happiest ive ever been.

third is: the rain, i love the rain, the rain makes me happy.

Two things: Medication and support from friends and family.

I thank God for my Pdoc, who wasn't afraid to put me on a MAOI (Marplan) .

I have a Great and Supportive, Wife, family, friends and Church.

I believe exercise enhances the meds ability to work better.

exercise helips - but for some reason my negative thoughts and anxiety sometimes battle with my rational side about whether I'm going to do it :(

meds sometimes help....

support of friends/family definitely helps

Being with family and friends

Meditating

Reading inspiring quotes

Praying

I feel very lonely sometimes and I just lay down on my bed and look outside. I am grateful for the little things in life, the sun, the flowers, the colors... I lost my mom in May and I give myself permission to cry sometimes.

Other times, coming to work and distracting myself helps a lot too.

I just feel that I need more "touch": more hugs, more people around me. And sometimes it is not possible to get that.

I have my kids, especially my 17 yr old son, who is very affectionate and sweet. That helps me immensely.

I am joining a Grieving Support Group next week, and hopefully that will help.

Does anyone have experience with such Support Group?

This forum helps me a lot too.

But sometimes the most effective treatment for depression is a combination of medication and psychotherapy. I`ve heard that there are several different types of antidepressants. They are categorized by how they affect the naturally occurring chemicals in your brain to change your mood. But everyone's different, so finding the right medication can likely take some trial and error. Do you have any thoughts about this?? I need antidepressants, what should know before taking them?

Mr. Wright, I think a good place to start is our med forums, in case you're not familiar with them yet. Also your doc should be able to evaluate which kind of med you could try, based on the information you've given them. As with all meds, finding the right one may require some trial and error but some may find the suitable med right away. Good luck!

I've found that sticking to a routine helps my depression and anxiety a LOT. If I don't stick to my routine, I tend to act impulsively and not complete important tasks, resulting in me feeling anxious and even more depressed. I try to work out every day, it REALLY helps. Eating healthy does too. I also try to write in my journal every day since it's something I enjoy and something that helps me, and I try to do some sort of meditation daily. I also make sure I complete all important tasks like appointments, etc.

Like Superstaroxox says, routine is key for me. I don't have a strict one, but it is a routine nonetheless.

What has really been working for me this year is my sign. I have a sign posted in my room that I can see as soon as I open my eyes. It reads:

"Good Morning, Rainah! Today is a new day.

Now that you're awake, start this list:

Work out

Shower

Take supplements

CBT & journal

(etc.)

Remember, each day is another chance to get closer to your dreams!" It has some other motivating phrases on it and lots of beautiful flowers and pictures too.

That's my well sign. When I'm sick, I have a sign that's much simpler and encourages me to just get out of bed, open the curtains, stuff like that.

Just having this visual list and being able to check things off each day makes me feel so accomplished and so positive.

Often another person's unasked for "advice" or "demand" is a kind of logical trick or ruse. The advice, "be good!" implies that one is not good. It "assumes" that one is not good. It "assumes" that the other person has enough knowledge of you to give your whole being a "grade." The word "assume" is made up of the letter combinations: "a## u me." "Assuming", the old saying goes makes an a## of you and me.

Think of things people have said to you in the past: "Work harder" implies you are not working hard enough. "Have some heart" implies you don't. "Be careful" implies you are not. It doesn't matter if the unasked for advice is given knowing this or not, or done wittingly or wittingly . . .

Edited by Epictetus

It helps me to remind myself that I can rise above the programming I received when I was socialized as a child. I was socialized to react in certain predictable ways to certain words uttered by others or which had become part of my own scrupulous conscience. The words were: weak, cowardly, lazy, stupid, immature, ugly, loner, failure, abnormal, no good. Those words and others had "power" over me because I was raised and socialized to fear them. Now I can remind myself that no word can "sum me up" or give other people the "power" to define me or own me or take away my instrinsic value as a person. "Words" from others or popping into my mind uninvited used to have the power to start me on the path of beating my brain up mentally. Now I can catch myself at this and rise above it. I realize that I was heavily socialized to be a perfectionist but that I know now that perfection is impossible. I can rise above this although sometimes it isn't that easy and requires a bit of effort. It is worth it though and liberating.

What helps most is loving my brain, trying to really empathize with the little three pound guy in my head. Poor little guy works 24/7 for me. But I was raised to demand and force artificial senses of life-or-death urgency on the little guy, usually nonsense that I forced it to treat as important. And I was raised to mentally punish my poor little brain mercilessly for its mistakes. Sadly both of these activities became second nature to me. For years I felt that there was absolutely nothing wrong with demanding and forcing artificial senses of life or death urgency on my brain or punishing it for being not an all-powerful, all-knowing and all-seeing being. How to reverse this? Love my brain. Love it and love and love it . . . just shower the little guy with understanding and appreciation and affection!

For me talking to people I trust and listening to music helps alot. If I couldn't listen to music I honestly wouldn't be here. I've been on Fluoextine for 5 months and it hasn't made one bit of difference for me yet.

Edited by heretohelpsavelives

Lately, one person helps me. My wife. The comfort of hugging and burying my nose into her neck, inhaling her sweet smell. Just having her there for me when I need her. I hope she feels the same !