What Helps Your Depression Most? #2

Trace

Getting Better  

390 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found helps your depression most?

• Talk therapies
    • Medication
    • Support of friends and relatives
    • Self help books
    • Support groups like DF
    • Exercise
    • Improving your diet
    • Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
    • A combination of all the above
    • Other ( Please list )

Not sure if I've already answered this one or not (can't figure out how to see just my posts)

1. Medication helps a lot - but I've been luckier than others with mine

2. Pet Therapy - I got 2 cats about a year ago and they always cheer me up now when I'm feeling down or depressed. I just need to see them, stroke them or cuddle them to make me smile. Works everyday. My OT Friend tells me Pet Therapy is evidence based so it's been proven to work.

Good luck :)

Connecting with people, setting small goals and making baby steps towards them, finding a purpose to live, searching for meaning in life and finding some, learning to accept myself with all my imperfections

oops, this is a bit of a repeat, so some of it must be right for me

Edited by solarflare

• 3 weeks later...

Knowing that the way I feel, how weird it might be, is part of me... and part of my neurological impairment. But I'm fine with it in a way... cause I don't have to be "ashamed" or apologizing for it.

That realisation helps a lot.

Also, doing stuff I actually like... that helps me a lot at the moment. At the moment I'm working on an art project featuring illustration (digital), a little bit of writing, a little bit of composing music... and in between I like to paint miniature figures.

And recently having a rather openminded girlfriend helps a lot, cause she understands (or at least is fine with) my condition. Partially cause she's in the same boat. Thus we talk about a lot...

I voted medication, therapy, exercise, support... everything except homopathic treatment. I tried it once and it didn´t agree with me.

For me it´s a determination to stay healthy and manage the symptoms so I can cope with life.

It also involves setting three or four big goals I intend to achieve in a certain amount of time. I then break it down to several small goals that can be achieved easily. Vision means a lot to me and gets me through tough time.

I don't know if anyone watched the 60 mintues on AD's but it was interesting that many felt just as good on a placebo and AD's were only really effective from Big Pharma's own studies for severaly depressed people. I encourage everyone to watch it, and take their meds until they discuss it with their doctor.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly exercise doesn't make me feel better and actually it somedays aggrivates my chronic pain and a result my energy levels are not soo great. I love gentle walks though but nothing too much.

Drinking my favourite and endless cups of tea

Talkng to people on this forum

Deleting and not speaking friends from my old life for good.

Listening to these songs, i am gonna create burn a cd of my favourite tunes in second

life is beautiful vega4

finding my way back home pricilla ahn

carry you home - james blunt

Feels like home - Edwina Hayes

Life is a bowl of cherries. E.G Daily

This woman's work - Kate Bush

Are you ready - three days grace

Someone's watching over me - Hilary Duff

Fly - Hilary Duff

The one that got way - Katy Perry

How to save a life - The Fray

Chasing cars - snow patrol

My advice do not put on daytime tv crap (unless you like bargain hunt) and instead watch something you enjoy if you at home for most of the week/weekend.

Get those chick flicks, favourite tv shows you love (90210, Holby, ER, Greys, Waterloo Road are my faves) and learn to enjoy life a bit. But don't sit and do nothing, do quizzes, laundry, read a good book or two. email people, check facebook, join new communites (cosmo magazine forum etc)

Phone a friend (in my case i phone my cousins simply because they are closer to my age and of course aunties and uncles. Pop round your neighbours for a chat.

The possibilties are endless.

But do not sit down and stare a wall/watch mindless daytime s*** on tv. remember bargain hunt is not your friend or in your vocab. Unless there's something interesting going on I love Gilmore Girls, medical stories so make exceptions.

Plan your day.

Being kind to others, doing something for someone without expecting money in turn, controlling my obsessive thoughts, accepting myself with all my imperfections, not comparing myself to others, doing something creative...... stop trying to predict the future, lower my expectations and not making assumptions about what others are thinking!

There's something to be said for cliches like "Laughter is the best medicine." Some of my most un-depressed (word?) moments have been when I'm laughing. Some of the things that make me laugh: funny Youtube videos, funny books, cheesy jokes, old sitcoms from the '90s, old photos or happy memories. Also, I find reading a really touching book or watching a guilty pleasure film can work. Also, Doing something silly or completely gratuitous, not taking yourself too seriously. Signing petitions for Amnesty International or some other non-profit group. Reminding myself that it's okay not to be perfect, and of all the things I've accomplished despite my imperfections. Reminding myself that it's okay to ask for help. Stopping to smell the flowers (literally and figuratively). Going for peaceful nature walks.

• 2 weeks later...

It all comes down to long-suffering patience, for me. With some hope mixed in. Love. And my ability to laugh, to hang onto my sense of humor even in the bleakest times; without it...idk, without the tiny bubbles of joy that humor brings, I don't think I'd be able to wait it out, to brave it out. Even when all of these are not present, it is still...the abiltiy to persevere, to , I don't know how to say it, I guess just alot of experience with long-suffering, that's how I'd best explain it.

Have been having a rough patch. Yesterday, I made myself go ut nad take a hike in the mountains with me dog. That started to make me feel better. She is so silly and fun and makes me smile.

Also, today, going to my internship- helping others makes me feel better. When I can help others, espcially from my heart and my own learned expreince, and it means something to them, and helps them out, that means the world to me. I realized when I came home that I really felt a lot better.

Being kind to others, doing something for someone without expecting money in turn, controlling my obsessive thoughts, accepting myself with all my imperfections, not comparing myself to others, doing something creative...... stop trying to predict the future, lower my expectations and not making assumptions about what others are thinking!

I love this, thank you for sahring that with us- its great.

• 2 weeks later...

For me its keeping myself distracted by socializing, our just keeping myself really busy so I don't have time to feel depressed. Also I like being there for others, even if I feel really bad I always try to be there for my friends and family. Noting makes me feel better then helping someone I love.

But on the other hand taking rest is really important as well otherwise I break down.. So yeah, sleeping well, taking care of myself, eating healthy.. That's helps me as well. So it's a combination of those.

• 4 weeks later...

Knowing that my closest friends are there for me has been helping me a lot lately. I just feel less anxious about things, you know?

I also get outside and walk a lot, and that makes a big difference for me; I've noticed that the days in which I don't walk have that sort of hazy, non-existent feel about them which is just terrible. Sometimes when I'm out walking, I'll go out to the Kroger or the drive-through coffee shop nearby and pick something up. A sense of purpose feels nice too.

And, under "other," I have to say that stand-up comedy gets me through a lot of stuff, and not just because it's funny, but because the really good ones dig really deep into themselves, and the satisfaction of hearing someone talk about a fear that I have or something on stage and making people laugh about it is great. (and performing it feels good too, even if I bomb like last week...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...