What Helps Your Depression Most? #2

Trace

Getting Better  

390 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found helps your depression most?

• Talk therapies
    • Medication
    • Support of friends and relatives
    • Self help books
    • Support groups like DF
    • Exercise
    • Improving your diet
    • Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
    • A combination of all the above
    • Other ( Please list )

Music has always taken me away from whatever frustrations, worries or insecurities that corrupt my mind on a daily bases. A lot of times it puts me in a trance where I imagine I'm someone else or, in better words, a much happier counterpart of myself. In my mind, I create scenarios where I'm so cool and confident and free from all the s***, excuse me, that I put in my head. It sort of frees me from myself.

I thought I was weird but I do the same thing!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

Just having someone tell me it's not my fault works wonders. Having someone encouraging me to do stuff and just to listen helps me the most I think. So maybe support.

DarkRain's words are my thoughts exactly. Just people saying "you don't deserve this, it's not your fault" makes me breathe easier as that's all that runs through my mind all day. Sorry I can't figure out the quoting thing! Also a good book, I've been going through one every couple of days during this dark phase, it's the only thing that stops my brain altogether. Every other second of the day it's on overdrive!

• 2 weeks later...

I was very depressed, and my medicine has helped me the most of all the other things I have tried (therapy, exercise). Mainly because I wasn't motivated to do anything before I started taking my meds. But now that I am able to do things, I am going to therapy and actually getting results. I am also reading a lot of self help books to find out how to treat myself better.

As of right now, writing has helped my depression a lot, 2nd I would have to say reading a very interesting book, talking to my close friends who have been supporting me or watching a movie. Quite the movie buff, I'll say! As of recently lately, The New Age has been helping me too, I've become very spiritual this year.

Edited by FlyLikeAButterfly

As of right now, writing has helped my depression a lot, 2nd I would have to say reading a very interesting book, talking to my close friends who have been supporting me or watching a movie. Quite the movie buff, I'll say! As of recently lately, The New Age has been helping me too, I've become very spiritual this year.

This is great. I hope you start to feel better. New Age stuff helps me too. Some of it can be quacky, but some of it is right on, I feel. Spirituality is great (as you can tell I feel so by my avatar lol). I'm glad you have people who support you.

1. talking with someone and being with friends (which is not possible now since I don't have any offline and very few online-- given my emotional outbursts it's best not to be around people anymore.)

2. drawing and other art-related activities

3. reading

4. playing video games

5. writing (it helps me to avoid having emotional outbursts, but it's gotten me in trouble too. I just can't win!)

6. therapy (it's no lie that the only reason I recovered the first time was because I had therapy; my meds were not working prior to that.)

7. being with my dog

8. medications (I'm one of those people who can't be taken off antidepressants without relapsing.)

Basically I do things that take my mind off of my depression somehow. I also like pretending to be someone else, like in role-playing or in video games.

The worst thing for me to do right now is my job. It's such a dumb, uninteresting job that I have plenty of time for negative ruminating thoughts. Those thoughts often bring me down. =( It annoys me when mom says I should work to take my mind off things... because that doesn't work for me at all! I have other ways to take my mind off of things, but she doesn't seem to like what I use. Once again I just can't win!

Edited by funchas

A little of everything on the list, but the two biggest are friends I can call night or day and the support group (divorce) I've been attending once a week. Commiserating with individuals in person who are going through exactly the same thing beats the best ADs I've ever taken (and still take).

Peace,

Tim

Definitely the biggest help for me has been Self Development and trying to always think positive!

Motivational websites have been a big help, focusing on getting myself better instead of having constant panic attacks and anxiousness because I am depressed.

Medication didn't seem to make much of a difference, even after upping the dose and adding more med's to try and help me sleep.

Exercise has helped a little, and keeping occupied with household stuff and family puts bad feelings on the back burner for a while.

Therapist visits were not my thing either, as I felt so ridiculous and that I was just blabbering on, and the response was the same as I got from everybody "It's okay, you will pull through, you have so much going for you, just don't think negative."

(Easy to say rather than do when feeling so low)

Positivity is the main focus to get through I guess, and maintain the happiness we may find...

Hard to get there, but all we can do is push on, and help others where we can!

xx

I selected 'talking therapies' and 'medication'.

Medication because no matter what I tried before, I couldn't do anything. I think medication (sertraline) got me out of ***** relatively quickly.

Talking therapy for helping keep me out of that hole (touch wood!)

The biggest changes that helped me was probably simply eating and sleeping properly. They seem like such simple things to do, but when I was at my worst I lost touch with their importance, and needed a therapist to help me see that. She also helped me plan a schedule that would include eating and sleeping without feeling guilty that I should be doing something else more 'useful'. Of course I *could* have done those things by myself, but clearly I wasn't. I think having her check up on me made me more likely to do those things. I couldn't get away with not doing them as easily as I could if it was only me checking myself.

I wish I could say exercise helped me, as I do enjoy it. But unfortunately it simply wipes me out too much and doesn't make for a fun day when I tip into tears at the slightest thing because I'm exhausted.

Exercise, talking to friends, following some schedule. If I avoid any kind of indulgence... like listening music is good, but when I listen it for too long, it depresses me even more. so is the case with any other thing. If I think about my mental health, it is good, but if I cannot stop thinking about it, it does not help me at all.

getting out of the house, interacting with people face to face even if it is the bus driver, exercise, DF, Welbutrin, realizing that I am not so important and trying to let go of the drama in life and especially trying to tell myself that I am good enough!

• 4 weeks later...

Exercise helped but then I've stopped and ever since I stopped I haven't got the energy or motivation to exercise

Support of friends or relatives helps as well but I only have one friend or relative who even knows/ I'll tell I'm depressed and my best friend is also severely depressed so it doesn't work out as good as it should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I voted medication, and support from relatives.

Medication, by far, is what has helped me the most, not only with my depression, but also my anxiety/panic, and OCD.

I'm so thankful I live in this day and age of modern medicine. My life would be intolerable without my medications.

Edited by AquaViolet

I find the best thing is to have a lot of friends that know what's going on (especially if you have a partner who is struggling sometimes with everything).

An understanding boss and organisation has made my life so much easier. If you get trouble at work, get another job. Working in a large public sector organisation with proper procedures, disability and occupational health. There's nothing worse than a horrible work environment when you're having an episode.

Hope that helps someone! xx

I've found reading what others wrote on this forum helps. For 20 or so years I internalised my depression - not good....

Exercise helps. When I'm really down it's hard to get out and do something, but the endorphin rush always helps

Surrounding myself with understanding friends and positive people who do not judge me for my depression

Sharing with others and realising people do care for me

Having a pet

J