What Helps Your Depression Most? #2

Trace

Getting Better  

390 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found helps your depression most?

• Talk therapies
    • Medication
    • Support of friends and relatives
    • Self help books
    • Support groups like DF
    • Exercise
    • Improving your diet
    • Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
    • A combination of all the above
    • Other ( Please list )

For me medication change is what helps me. The one thing that I am worried about though is that I will run out of meds, I've been through so many meds that there are only a few left. Twenty years of meds and constantly changing them, I am gonna run out eventually. What is my next option? Electric shock therapy? boredsmiley.gif

I have been through a lot of different meds the past few years too. They all had side effects that were horrible or they worked for a while and stopped or my doc changed his mind. Mostly the point is I am never symptom-free. Do you have anything going on that might be hormonal? Like your hair falling out or PMS? I apologize if you are a guy I can't tell from this post. Doctors won't talk about it but there is such a thing as hormonal depression, for guys too. That's why I went to a pharmacy tech who specializes in hormone disorders. I am also seeing a therapist to process a lot of baggage that I am carrying and work on my relationship and life skills.

I hope this helps.

I got 2 cats in December and I have to say cuddling and spending time with my furry boys never fails to make me feel better. My OT friend tells me Pet Therapy is evidence based - therefore studies show this can really help how you feel.

:)

My journal, my husband (whenI can pull out of the feedback loop long enough to tell him), painting, sewing (having to concentrate on not stitching my finger into the work does wonders for taking my mind off whatever it's dwelling), an applicable video game (GTA 4 or UT2k4 for rage, Loki for busting ennui), and a good book.

An unhealthy dose of partying usually gets me feeling good again. And with that I'm not talking going out on 11 pm and coming home at 3 am. I more so refer at starting on friday at 5-ish pm and ending on sunday afternoon at 5-ish pm. Up to the point where one is comatose for at least a day or 2.

I do have a thing for "overdoing" things up to a point where obsession is an understatement, though I wouldn't want it any other way. I sometimes get my excersise in dancing while going out, so I guess that counts as well.

What else helps... or has helped... sex. And that's not even the standard thing to me.

Neither are available at the moment. And if they were, it would be the big "if", if they're on the terms I'd like them to be. I can't go clubbing if I don't like the music for instance. Yeah... In a way, I sound spoiled, but I prefer to enjoy my thing than to act like I like it with fake smile. And it's really bad if I go out clubbing and I can practically name all songs they played within 5 seconds. It's nothing to brag about, but it just illustrates that I apparently care about the music more than the people.

And now looking at "what my fix is"... I can't really imagine a therapist would say "well, do it, if you're alright with it.". As both require a. other people b. are beyond the norm in terms of how I like it. If my therapist is ok with it... I doubt my GP is, lol

Music has always taken me away from whatever frustrations, worries or insecurities that corrupt my mind on a daily bases. A lot of times it puts me in a trance where I imagine I'm someone else or, in better words, a much happier counterpart of myself. In my mind, I create scenarios where I'm so cool and confident and free from all the s***, excuse me, that I put in my head. It sort of frees me from myself.

A combination of medication and DBT(Dialectical Behavior Therapy) Therapy helps me the most. A couple other things that help me when I'm feeling depressed are going for a walk and listening to positive upbeat music.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I feel so alone, but I know this is impermanent, life is. How do I make the best of it despite thinking that I am not good enough? I feel better when my hands or feet are busy: working on my bicycle, photography, gardening, riding the bike, swimming in a lake... I like being around and helping others but have lost most of my friends as I am out of work and have almost given up looking. I volunteer at the food bank and with physically challenged people in their gardens. I have stopped taking medication and wonder if this is the right thing. It is the loneliness that is ******* me slowly.

So maybe I should just get on my bike and ride into the sunset or sunrise..what is there to lose?

For the first year after I sought help, I needed medication just so I could function. The few people I told were also very supportive and their help was invaluable. However, now that I am more stable I think that talking therapy is the next step to address some underlying issues and help with coping strategies (my previous ones have not been very healthy...). I know talking therapy is supposed to be really useful, but up until a few months ago I just wasn't ready to commit to it.

Thanks for the topic. The things that help me

1. Writing down negative thoughts in my personal diary

2. Prayer

3. Being grateful to myself for what I did during the day

4. Remembering good things in my life and being grateful for them

5. Therapy

6. 12 step online groups

7. This forum / stories by people who are depressed too

8. Having a look at my plans to realise that I'm on the right path

9. Chocolate and coffee (if not much)

10. Playing my own music (really very helpful but I didn't do it for a long time...)

11. Talk with a friend

12. A good book / film

13. Eating out

14. Yoga

But honestly I believe that good and happy relations would help me much more.

things that have helped me become happier at school:

1. excercise (raise confidence and self esteem)

2. SPORTS

3. taking relaxing subjects like art, gym, computers

4. join Clubs and teams!!! so you can socialize and meet more people!

hopefully this will help others too :)

Edited by brownie92

i think the things that help me the most are quiet prayers, spending time in the chapel and taking a break from everything. i took half a year study leave and spent most of my time going out on my own, tour the city, esp to the places which i never dared to venture before. read tonnes of books, classic literatures. at times, it is quite depressing to see the world as dark as it is with sufferings here and there, but the most important thing is to reach out to others. to make oneself feels useful. one wouldn't feel the crushing burden because when it is shared, it is like a sorrow halved.

Time for a new topic. Please share things that have helped in your recovery here.

Trace

This is my first post so I hope I am doing it right.

I have found that involving myself in activities with animals helps my depression. I recently put in an application with the local humane society as they need volunteers to keep cats and kittens company and to give human companionship. They also need Dog Buddies that can take some of the dogs out for walks/turn-outs to pee during the day. You can volunteer just a few hours a day once a month or once a week or whatever time you want to devote. I had my first group interview and hope that I will hear from them soon. I also put in an application at Animal Control as they have many volunteer positions. This is also a way to meet new people with the similar love for animals.

I have read so many places where animals help with depression!

• 2 weeks later...