Sign in to follow this  
Trace

What Helps Your Depression Most? #2

Getting Better  

380 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found helps your depression most?

• Talk therapies
    • Medication
    • Support of friends and relatives
    • Self help books
    • Support groups like DF
    • Exercise
    • Improving your diet
    • Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
    • A combination of all the above
    • Other ( Please list )

Usually if I can get away from the problems for a few minutes and get my head cleared.   I can manage to overcome it.  I also use prayer, meditation and walking to help me to deal better with my frustrations 

I probably mentioned it before, but what helps my depression a lot is being able to shift perspectives when I am feeling badly.  Usually when I am feeling bad I am stuck in a "could be better, but isn't better" attitude.  I am looking at myself through this lens or looking at others or at things and events in the world and thinking:  "wow, could be better but isn't . . . how aggravating, how sad, how demoralizing."

But if I can catch myself being trapped in this attitude, I can often flip it:  "could be worse, but isn't worse, thank goodness" and then I will feel lucky and grateful and feeling lucky and grateful  gives me some happiness and peace of mind.

I would say working out, walking, cleaning,  doing any art related project,  poetry, writing, talking to my family, playing and hanging with my cat and other pets, learning new things and lastly  watching movies. Those things help me feel a lot better when I'm down and depressed.

When I'm  down and having a hard time I would say art related things such as: drawing, crafts and now getting back into animation helps me a lot. Other things that help me would be: cleaning and organizing,  reading,  learning things, walking and sometimes working out, playing games, journaling, watching movies and being around my family and pets. 

Well in my opinion, what help's you the most while going through the phase of Depression is the support of your family and friends. How much they know about you and the amount of love and care they can provide you in that difficult time of your life, will matter to you more than anything else.

6 minutes ago, RAMZY said:

Well in my opinion, what help's you the most while going through the phase of Depression is the support of your family and friends. How much they know about you and the amount of love and care they can provide you in that difficult time of your life, will matter to you more than anything else.

“When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching -- they are your family. ”

1 hour ago, RAMZY said:

“When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching -- they are your family. ”

Agreed. Most of my "family" aren't related to me by blood.

What helps me out tremendous when having any depression or sadness is: Cleaning, Walking or Working out, Cooking, spending time with my Family and  my Pets, doing Art and Crafts things, watching Movies, and playing / loving on with my tubby cat. 

For a quick short term boost to perk myself up I’d have to say tennis, cleaning or playing a game back from my childhood (although nostalgia can be a hit or a miss).  Distractions & delicious endorphins more or less.

To be quite honest though, my biggest positive leap was when I accepted that the ‘big bad reaper’ is coming no matter what I do - so darn simple, right? There will be fantastic days accompanied with garbage ones not far behind, take them as they are and continue marching on like a mindless ant. Realizing you can only do so much as a person, living on a small planet within a gigantic universe.. that thought in the past used to not motivate me at all, but knowing I’ve full control when I want to end this Earth game I’m in is pretty calming. It’s like a safety net, if that makes sense.