Donate Now Read more... ×
Trace

What Helps Your Depression Most? #2

Getting Better  

359 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found helps your depression most?

• Talk therapies
    • Medication
    • Support of friends and relatives
    • Self help books
    • Support groups like DF
    • Exercise
    • Improving your diet
    • Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
    • A combination of all the above
    • Other ( Please list )

A little bit of backstory:

During last year, I had gone through several bouts of depression. All of these ranged from mild to severe. So basically I have been all over the spectrum, and sometimes I did talk to others. Now it may seem ironic but I found that talking was only a temporary solution with others telling you everything will be alright. It was only later I realized that the depression was never gone, just waiting in the corner of my mind to grow out it's roots again.

Since everyone's situation is unique, and in mine I never really talked about it with anyone else after the first time.

Here is what I did:

1. Watch inspirational videos made by YouTube users (not big companies or people who did YouTube for a living, but people just trying to lend a helping hand).

2. Put more time into creative writing (even though that was a struggle due to the negative nature of my mind at that time).

3. Focus more on my personal blog, just talking about things to help get my mind off of depression and the feelings that come with it.

4. Take on personal projects, mostly ones related to database design/administration and android app development. This not only helped me take my mind off of the depression (though only for a short while), it helped me learn some new skills.

5. Finally, Introspect. This may seem rather surprising since introspection would require me to face my depression. I found that rather than running away from it, and trying to suppress it, the best thing I could do was face it.

Conclusion:

After overcoming my depression (for now at least), I have come to learn and appreciate that depression like any other emotion in life can be a valuable teacher. But this varies based on your circumstances. Depression to me like anything else in life has taught me important steps. I believe without depression, I would not have been able to learn of these things. This is because when we are depressed, we are at our lowest and most bare. We are like a once perfectly shaped cube of clay becoming a blob again and waiting to be re-molded.

Lately I've nearly crashed as he demon in the closet insistently wants to come out. There's a few things in my life that's triggered it. Anyway my bf is the person who i go to or text when I'm about to crash. He's been through it himself being a Veteran. 

He said he's not a therapist/ psychiatrist and I said you don't have to be all i need is for someone to just listen. 

A combination of things

1. Meds - Without my meds I am not capable of doing any mood stabilizing activity (hell without cymbalta I can sob over onions)

2. Therapy

3. Showers- some days this is just an ahhh feeling...others it is a curled up in a ball crying moment either way it helps

4. Acknowledging my emotions instead of trying to ignore them, or feeling guilty or like I am failing for being overcome by them

5. Journaling, and mood tracking

Hi, I am quite young and I am/was depressed. I found that talking to other people about it only made it worse for me. So my way of dealing with it was to stop thinking about the bad stuff (easier said than done) but by doing stuff I like and what doing stuff that makes me happy I can forget the pile of s***. My mistake was thinking I have to get happy again, because that was not really possible. I prefer making the depression just a little less bad. 

When I had a really bad day I would just find distraction 24/7 so I don't have some bad suicide thoughts. I don't know if this is a good way to go around it, but I found issues didn't feel that bad the longer they were around. Like when I lost someone I really loved, I watched a lot of movies and stuff to just get my mind off it. Of course you have to think about it, but when it's really really pulling you down it's best to just reset and find some distraction. Now i don't feel as bad as often about it so I don't need so much distraction. Also I had issues with looking at the future, thinking it would not be good enough. I don't look too much at the future anymore. Do what I want to do and what I like per day, but also per year and few years. Don't think about how you will feel in like a year or two, just walk it through per day and you will see.

The way I see depression is like a well. By some bad stuff you can fall into the well. You can keep trying to climb out of it to get back to happiness, but it's too steep and you keep falling back down. So you decorate the well, make it cosy, make it feel like something 'allright' (Make your hole of depression a little better with fun and good stuff). After a while you don't even want to get out of the well, since it's your very own perfectly fine space.

Sorry for bad english and confusing story. I can understand if not many relate, I just think alot different than most

1. Medicine that's legal in some states in the U.S. and also the Netherlands. Have to use it responsibly though obviously.

2. Traveling, experiencing new things (that way I also appreciate being home more and don't get bored of it).

3. Talking online on forums devoted to a particular subject so I have a common interest with the people.

Edited by Wanderer42

Sometimes, even after a very very long while, recovery seems to take place for no apparent reason at all.

I'm sure in my case there must be various reasons. It's been like a fire that raged for more than three decades in my life, sometimes it would make me quite literally scream. I don't think that the medicine was the major reason although it undoubtedly helped. Music has certainly been a great influence. Walking more than I used to. Sometimes however maybe its best not to look for complicated reasons.

I just see good things happen, the calm is after the storm rather than the other way around. A fire of distress that lasts thirty two years, perhaps longer, can reduce to a small scorching very painful flame that hurts in the head and affects my judgment, then one day it simply does, just reduce, and unexpectedly... snuffs out.

The surprise of it is a strange blissful feeling, though its not one of continuing euphoria. 

Just acceptance. Its very odd indeed, 

Its a recovery - ongoing I think -which defies words. There's almost nothing to be written about it at all.

It just is.

If I can see a reason then it helps if I try to take at least one little step towards fixing it.  If I don't see one or I am not motivated to do anything about it, then its usually better to distract myself with physical work or exercise.  At least then while I'm miserable I am doing something that might give a positive result.

This thread has been great to read.Thanks to everyone who shared.

what I currently  find the most helpful:

Medication- I'm one of those depressed/anxious  people who needs medication to function.I've made my peace with this.Right now I am currently on 150 mg of zoloft which is helping tremendously.I still struggle at times but I'm no longer glued to the bed crying all day.

Therapy

Exercise - Any exercise helps but the harder I go the better I feel.On days when I can manage to push myself to work out until I'm a hot,sweaty,mess gasping on the floor I feel amazing! I rarely manage to push myself this hard though.Im happy if I hit the goal on my pedometer which is 10,000 steps.

keeping a gratitude journal.- I fought against doing this for a long time.It seemed hokey and a waste of time.Finally, I had a therapist who managed to convince me how important keeping track of the positive was.I was instructed to write any positive no matter how tiny.Once I got going with it I realized how powerful it was.I don't always write in it as much as I should but when I do I always feel better.it is especially helpful for those days when I feel as if the world and everyone in it is conspiring against me.

Spending time in nature especially the ocean.I find the ocean incredibly soothing.

Pushing myself out of the house on a regular basis.

Socializing- Because of the depression and anxiety every friendship I've ever had has withered away.I really think the isolation I experience is one of the reasons the depression never fully goes away.I'm currently working on changing this but it's hard as hell.

Going to twelve step meetings on the phone- While it's not the same as being around people in person they  have helped me quite a bit.

Distraction- Sometimes the best thing I can do is to distract myself from whatever is currently upsetting me.When I'm really depressed this doesn't work but if the upset is more mild in nature,it really helps.

I've got better when I stopped stressing myself about not being as successful as other people, about not having talents or any significant skills, not having a passion and not knowing what awaits me in the future. I've stopped beating myself and thinking that I'm such a loser and accepted that I'm unwell right now and it's ok. I've learned to be kind to myself. I try to focus on the present moment, take little steps on the road to recovery and not worry too much about the future. I've stopped comparing myself to others and freed myself from the great expectations I had earlier that led me to depression. It doesn't mean I don't have plans and goals anymore, they are just a lot more realistic now.

Of course, all this didn't happen overnight, it took many therapy hours, a lot of research, thinking and trying to understand myself and the issues I have. Through CBT I learned to recognize unhealthy thoughts and most of the time I'm able to fight them. 

I believe, it's crucial to reduce the stress as much as possible. It's not always possible to reduce the external stress, as everyone's life circumstances are different, but I believe everyone is capable of getting free from the internal stress we bring upon ourselves so often.

Also, connection to others is very important. Fighting depression alone is so much harder, because it feeds of our loneliness and grows its strength to isolate us further. Even if we don't have people we could connect with in real life, we still have online communities and support groups like DF. 

I used to look at myself, my parents, the people in my life, my work, my home and generally all things from the perspective of:  "Could be better, how sad."  "Could be better, how frustrating and aggravating."  "Could be better, how miserable and unbearable."

Now I try to look at myself, my parents, the people in my life, my work, my home and generally all things from the perspective of:  "Could be worse, but it isn't worse, thank goodness!"

In most cases, it helps me out of bad moods.

Edited by Epictetus