Sign in to follow this  
Trace

What Helps Your Depression Most? #2

Getting Better  

380 members have voted

1. 1. What have you found helps your depression most?

• Talk therapies
    • Medication
    • Support of friends and relatives
    • Self help books
    • Support groups like DF
    • Exercise
    • Improving your diet
    • Homeopathic remedies ( acupuncture, medication)
    • A combination of all the above
    • Other ( Please list )

Time for a new topic. Please share things that have helped in your recovery here.

Trace

I would say exercise if the side effects from the meds let me. Friends and family support is also very important. My family is supportive but does not understand my situation because it is incredibly complex. As far as friends go, they're dropping like flies. My 'friends' at work started this whole conspiracy against me because I was taking of a leave of absence at work for substance abuse.

Hey all,

Since depression, I have upped my Cymbalta which in turn upped my HBP and now on a different HBP medication, but what really helped me was counseling, through my work, I was able to get 3 free counseling sessions and they give you the resources to continue in your path.

I take 90mg of Cymbalta as of now and I feel great. I also placed my self back in tune with God, although, not as much as I like, work gets in the way, but I always think about God. I have also exercised and walk a lot and walked off 50lbs and made myself look better to me, which in turn made me like myself again.

Since separating from my wife and pending divorce, I have re-discovered myself and like who I am and how I look. I was pretty quite content living the single life and never sought out a relationship as some lack of self confidence still floating around and was okay with it.....Some co-workers from the jail I work at and probation department placed me and great gal together and we hit it off great. I'm a jailer and she's probation. We speak'a the same language and have similar A personalities and same hates in our jobs and clients so to speak.

I may have gained back a pound or two, but my old fat guy clothes are going to hospice and my new and improved pants are much better and I don't feel like I have a load in my pants. My old pants for work were baggy and now my new smaller ones are baggy, but I don't think enough for smaller ones yet. I walked myself into a new wardrobe in my uniforms and can now fit in a whole new set and have uniforms for days.

I was able to find this site and knew right away I wasn't alone and people with much more on their plate than I have and I pray for all everyday.

We are all survivors (My motto) and we need to strive to get ourselves healed with our past, our current issues, money concerns, children, pesty family (putting lightly) and whatever else.

I thought of going off Cymbalta as I am happy, but just so happens, I ran out and didn't get to pharmacy in time (working nights, overslept) and the 2 days I was out was not very fun, I ran out of the 60mg pills and still had 30mg pills. My pain came back from Diabetes nerve pain and I just felt like crud. Soooooo, not going off of it anytime soon and my regular doctor is a 25 year depression doctor and he said he didn't want me off, so I think I'll listen.

I have been eating great and staying away from bad foods for my diabetes but my 1AC is still high, my doc put me on a clinic pill with glucophage and it seemed to drop the sugars fast and now. I feel better and he said I'll lose weight. I tell my girl, don't feed the bear, I'll eat it if you put it in front of me! The diabetes didn't help with depression, images of feet being amputated and it can **** you quick. I did learn that the feet are farthest away from brain and to wit, the nerves go first in the feet, so if you cut your foot and don't feel it, infection, bad infection, amputation time! Also, get your eyes checked, you cannot replace the blood vessels in your eyes and diabetes messes that up, so take care of yourself for those of you with diabetes. Stay in contact with your doctor and do what he says!

Anyways, I'm still recovering, I have bad days, lost my dad in August, separated in September, pending divorce, my siblings are driving me crazy, work is driving me crazy but I generally feel good. I grieve for dad, but I know I will see him soon when God is done with me here on Earth. I make it through the day with prayer, good eating habits, surround myself with good friends and laugh and smile as much as I can.

Aaron

I think distraction is a great way to help with depression. If you can do something - anything - to take your mind off of it, it's a good thing. Focusing on others instead of yourself helps. So that is my "other" option, but I also picked the first three. I'm sure diet and exercise would help, but I just can't get motivated in those areas.

:verysad3:

Time for a new topic. Please share things that have helped in your recovery here.

Trace

Nothing worked for me but a combination of medicines,tobacco and alcohol helped me to pass very very difficult time.I am not proud how i handled all stressful moents in my life.Divorce,fights,financial worries,career etc etc.

The only thing currently working are music,exercise and meditation.Although i am skeptical of everything.I dont have many friends and i stay alone so i have greater freedom.

I totally agree, I applied to be a volunteer ombudsman and will help nursing home residents with any problems the have, it does help to be of service to others, makes me realize my life isn't so bad after all. I just started mall walking too (lame yes, but it gets you out and around people)

I think distraction is a great way to help with depression. If you can do something - anything - to take your mind off of it, it's a good thing. Focusing on others instead of yourself helps. So that is my "other" option, but I also picked the first three. I'm sure diet and exercise would help, but I just can't get motivated in those areas.

:verysad3:

CBT helped me a lot, this and realising that I could do things, but if I wanted them I had to go and force myself to do some things I didn't like to get the good parts.

Getting out around like-minded people did make me feel a lot better. I got attention from boys (having never had a boyfriend before) and made some good friends. So yeah despite how hard it can seem being social no matter where seems to help even if at first it only acclimatises you.

Also the support from my mother who understood exactly what I was going through.

Just having someone tell me it's not my fault works wonders. Having someone encouraging me to do stuff and just to listen helps me the most I think. So maybe support.

Also

1. Good Music- I made a playlist of my favorit songs

2. Having things that encourage and inspire me all together.

3. A good book to distract me

4. Kingdom Hearts to distract and encourage me.

For me medication change is what helps me. The one thing that I am worried about though is that I will run out of meds, I've been through so many meds that there are only a few left. Twenty years of meds and constantly changing them, I am gonna run out eventually. What is my next option? Electric shock therapy? boredsmiley.gif

Utter analyzation of each aspect of my mind I can attribute to the bout of depression helps to mitigate it. Any emotional responses are immediately quarantined and are not allowed to execute without permission. If they are executed, then they are closely monitored and analyzed as they are carried out. Understanding the process is vital to battling depression, I think.

For me what works is focusing on the Positive.

Deep breathing while listening to New Age Music.

Forcing myself to smile while breathing.

What I am doing to continue my success is to develop new friends, and be involved in learning activities.

What I am avoiding is judgemental negative people

Expressing my feelings through poetry

Writing at least 5-6 poems everyday since the age of 9

Really seems to work better than anything I have found

Medications, therapist, & doctors ALWAYS change....

but POETRY has been a constant, always there to fall back on...

Never judging, lying, or misleading, & NO SIDE EFFECTS

HOPE...everyone finds at least ONE thing that helps them

PRAY...that everyone finds at least one person to be understanding

i love to sing to my music and enter funny video contests and cooking contests! Also good is watching my favorite movies

The thing that helps me the most is talking and writing about it. Just getting it OUT of me feels so good.

I enjoy taking part in support groups. One of the reasons for my depression is I came out as a lesbian like, two years ago at the age of 14, and I'm ridiculed and threatened a lot at my school. So, I found a support group for LGBT people, and attending that once a month makes me feel so good about myself and helps give me the strength I need to cope with the difficulties that come with being a queer teen.

I also like talking to my school guidance counsellor and librarian about my issues, because it makes me feel like I have support at school.

I also love talking with my step-mom, she has depression too and is sooo supportive of me. She has great advice and she makes me feel like I can do anything. I love her so much.

And, I enjoy my alone time, listening to music and writing in my journal. Whether it be about my day, my week, emotions I'm experiencing, or even random topics, writing makes me feel good because it's a safe way of venting my feelings.

So, the most important things to me are support systems, talking about my issues, and writing about my issues.

Edited by SufferingArtist

My dogs, proper sleep, and of course medicine. Reading is a biggie--a great story can really take you out of your own head for a bit.

And for the silliest of all, looking in the mirror and talking to myself. Me reassuring me that I am worthy of feeling good and am brave for continuing to fight.

Just some hope.

Being with friends. It is hard to do but once done is very theraputic.

Group therapy.

Meds.

Bigd

Exercise

Listening to music

Being around people I feel comfortable with

Visiting my family and just having their company and been able to have relaxed conversation.

My wife who supports me when I feel down and encourages me to not sit around and dwell on my worries.

Edited by hocico

Running, avoiding fatty processed foods, antidepressants, CBT, talking to friends, spending time on my hobbies. But right now I do all these things and I'm still depressed. I suppose without them it might well be a lot worse.

Talking to my wife, keeping busy so I don't have time to worry, remembering the techniques that I have found useful for stopping my worrying when it starts, asking god for help when I need help, medication, sharing my worries with my wife and df, avoiding sugary foods that make my anxiety worse.