Loss Of Imagination

Aguest

and as much as the lack of imagination sucks i want to love, i think that is the biggest thing in the world, but i cant really, so i hope you can appreciate that if you still are able to <3 mine is buried a lot deeper inside... life is very hard because of these drugs, i hope you can give me hope that things have gotten better... if not then i hope they do.

• 5 weeks later...

I really apologize. My attention was elsewhere and I got pulled away by other things in my life. I haven't given up, as I'm still going, but I do not see any signs of improvement. I do hope you'll drop back some time, and I apologize once again for my absence.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well. Since you're not on the meds for Depression... maybe that's the reason for this odd side effect you're having.

I heard that if someone without depression takes antidepressants, it may either do nothing or make the person somewhat "numbed" out.

Does it feel like your imagination has no feeling?!?

If this is bothering you, I suggest you ask for another antidepressant that doesn't give you this effect.

Even though it's important for your OCD, there may be another medication out there that will help your OCD without the lack of imagination.

But this may be a good time to ask yourself whether the "ocd" or "the lack of thought process" is more annoying.

• 7 months later...

i took prozac years ago and stopped after 8months of treatment and i never really became as creative as i was before treatment. i dont have any clear vision anymore and things are hard to put on paper, i feel dulled

Are you taking any medications?

• 2 weeks later...

no not at the moment, i have tried other things, like Methylphenidatre (ritalin) and Stablon (Tianeptine), also Provigil (modafinil). I did not respond to ritalin, modafinil wasnt really what i needed and tianeptine was mild and also didnt "pull me out". Those are all stimulating meds. I do not know how to proceed, because while on prozac i did have energy and afterall i was a bit creative.

Before prozac, my creativity came from melancholic depression probably. So i dont know,,,, i am so tempted of giving prozac another go, even if i have cursed it for the past 4 years....

• 2 years later...

Just made an account when I saw this thread. I have been reading a plethora of stories horrifyingly similar to mine.
"i took prozac years ago and stopped after 8months of treatment and i never really became as creative as i was before treatment. i dont have any clear vision anymore and things are hard to put on paper, i feel dulled ", " . I feel like I've completely lost my creativity and imagination I once had, which has ruined many hobbies of mine like reading, writing, drawing, 3D modeling and many more. " " It has been over a year now. Nothing has really changed. " , "So, it's midnight. I've been laying in bed for the last 2 hours trying to figure out what's wrong with me since taking Prozac...Why I just don't feel like me. And then it dawned on me.I was looking at the inside of my eyelids. I tried to imagine *anything*. No images appear. Just the blackness of my closed eyes.Try to imagine a beach, or my wife, or my car...Nothing. Dark emptyness."

I took lexapro for approximately 8 months, then wellbutrin for 2-3months before going sober. I have severe depression that has lead me to several suicide attempts I have no idea how I survived. I have been diagnosed with MDD, OCD and PTSD. The lexapro (escitalopram) seemed to help with the depression but killed my memory, imagination, and ability to picture literally ANYTHING in my head.  I used to make several pieces of art everyday and have all but stopped since the SSRIs. I feel incapable of making art, only making perhaps 5 uninspired pieces in the last two years. I have been off inhibitors for over a year and a half and have no improvement in my imagination at all. I only remember bits and pieces of being 22 or 23. My GPA went from over a 3.0 to failing all but one class a semester in my junior/senior year until I had to drop out because I couldn't remember the majority of what I had studied for 3-5x the hours as other students. I couldnt remember the names of girls I was sleeping with or what I had even had for breakfast. Only in the last 5 months have a started actually forming memories more often than not. I was blacking out, in a way, over three quarters of every day at least. I can now recall about 60% of each day in blurry chunks.

I found some nootropics that were beneficial to me after careful testing that have somewhat improved my memory to a blurry, but somewhat functional state and were mildly anxiolytic, which helps keep me "stable" and manage my depression somewhat. I am going to talk to several professionals this coming week to discuss treatment plans. I'm terrified to try another inhibitor or antidepressant that hollows me out even more, leaving me a walking ken doll/ android/ human animal thing. I feel like theres so little of "me" left. I'm not sure what to do. My depression is under control and manageable around 80% of the time but I need something to keep me from craving the void and death when the low points on the wave of depression quickly drag me under into a ****ed mindset. I want to return to the beautiful landscapes in my imagination again and feel pleasure and joy, but I'm terrified of more symptoms and getting dulled out into nothing by the drugs. Even my once-in-a-blue-moon psychedlic trips have no visuals and can't access sustained mental imagery or clear picturing of anything in my mind.

Sorry for the long rambling post and lack of proper quotes etc. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope everyone is doing well

• 4 years later...

I have very similar problem and my own story about using Prozac and it's impact on my imagination and visualization. Please answer if you have any improvements at all. If not, answer as well. I might be able to help because I ALMOST lost my imagination, but I'm able to bring it back piece by piece, like recovering from severe stroke or injury. It is hard, but there is progress.

Edited by Drakuul

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

After 16 months post-cold turkey Prozac, I think I have about 100% of my former visualisation back. It was literal hell and I didn't think I would ever recover this side of me. But here we are and I'm almost fully as I was before taking it, if not better. Because I literally exercised my visualisation these entire 16 months. The problem for me remains is this visualisation sometimes weakens during times when I didn't have enough sleep. And I have serious, very concerning emotional blunting which kind of defeats the whole purpose of visualisation. I literally can't feel fear for example, only the anxious, split-second reaction of the body. My emotions are no longer that "visceral" so to speak. But I hope it will heal as well as my visualisation.

Take care guys I love you all, you are all warriors.