Sign in to follow this  
Waynester

Does Insomnia Ever Go Away When Your On Sertraline/zoloft?

I'm not glad at all that any of you experience insomnia, but I was thinking perhaps it was just me. I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

It makes me feel sleepy, but I can't sleep, or it's hard to sleep. It's weird. I toss and turn all night while yawning, as if I could fall to sleep easily and sleep well. But if I can ever get to sleep, I sleep pretty well.

It will get better trust me. My sleep pattern has definitely got a lot better the longer you are on the meds - do you take tabs in morning (recommended).

Just started on Zoloft a few days ago for anxiety and depression. Having major trouble sleeping, went to the doc to get some sleeping tablets. Keep me alseep until about 4am, only problem is that when I wake up I have this insane feeling of restlesness and nerve tingling all over my body. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Also, when does regular sleep patterns kick in? i hate being awake so early! At least I'm getting some sleep mind you and have got some relift from my d and a.

Edited by YellowBlue

As for sleeping tablets be careful, the Zopiclone & Zolpidem tablets (Z drugs) are as addictive as Benzo's - try atarax (antihistamine) - non habit forming

Sleep does get better

I was given Ativan with my Viibryd medicine because one of the side effects is Insomnia and it seems to help...Hope that ends soon for ya. It can be a vicious cycle.

I persevered through the insomnia, I concentrated on breathing to relax me and found I fell asleep that way, now I fall asleep as soon as I go to bed. I do wake up through the night, so I grab some water from my bedside and go back to sleep. I don't take as long to fall back asleep as I have stopped stressing about it and worrying. I found the stressing just made me stay awake longer. I think the 100mg I am on is enough and feel brilliant, so yes you can move through and get a normal pattern. I took nothing to help at all as like previous comments say, I did not want to give myself another problem with sleeping pills or benzos

I just moved up from 100 to 150 then 200mg of Zoloft. It's been two weeks. The frist 3 days of 200mg caused major headaches, that went away. My eyes couldn't endure white lights since then, been using a pair of shades just to look at my computer. I had gassy problems for the first week and glad I'm single cuz it was intense, lol. I also felt very drowsy and did have a memory episode where I couldn't remember anything - that went away but still kind of foggy. Now I have a problem with not being about to get a good night's sleep and find myself retreating to the bed after being up for only a hour-must have been on my bed more than 75% of my days-glad I don't have to work right now. And of course lack of sex drive and vivid dreams-but not worried about that. Incomparison to where I was before the medication, all this endurable and apparently from what I've read and been told it can take several weeks to get used to medication. My head is very stable though - I still have my emotions but they aren't as unbalanced. I just started to take medication for my first time at the age of 39 (started at 25mg) and had a very disfuntional life prior to this so anything is better. I didn't take medication for a while because I was part of an extreme faith group that didn't believe in taking medications. I am sure glad I left that movement because medication has removed the frenzy my mind was in. I really don't want to have to try various meds to just to find the right one-had a hard time just to start taking Zoloft. I am more than willing to hang in and endure these side effects if most of them, especially the tiredness goes away after several weeks.

Edited by ogima

Hi

I'm on 150mg sertraline taken each morning. When I started on 50mg I had really bad insomnia for a month or so then it slowley improved. With each dose increase it worsens the insomnia, I tend to wake earlier! I'm also on mirtazapine 30mg at night and have found that to be really good as far as sleep goes, don't think I'd tolerate the higher doses of sertraline without it.

Zoloft can be stimulating for some and cause sleepiness in otheres. Do you see the need to increase to a higher dosage? If so, then I'd see if you can also increase the mirtazapine if needed.

This is not uncommon to have to combine meds. in order to get the full effect the drug as well as be able to sleep.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I have been on Zoloft for 8 months the past 4 on 150 mg. I've developed insomnia. Does anyone know why this would be? I went to my Dr. she wanted to increase my med. I said won't that cause more insomnia? She said try and decrease it then, that what my pharmacist told me. I've decreased for 3 days only and now have w.d symptoms of nausea, fatigue and sore neck muscles. Any advice anyone?

I have been on Zoloft for 8 months the past 4 on 150 mg. I've developed insomnia. Does anyone know why this would be? I went to my Dr. she wanted to increase my med. I said won't that cause more insomnia? She said try and decrease it then, that what my pharmacist told me. I've decreased for 3 days only and now have w.d symptoms of nausea, fatigue and sore neck muscles. Any advice anyone?

The only advice I would offer is taking a multi vitamin and drinking tons of water. It's not fun not sleeping. I've always suffered from insomnia. SSRI's cause the insomnia I bet do to the increase in seratonin. I know Paxil is more sedating and better for anxiety but it's a biatch to get off of.

I would suggest you visit your Dr. Increase your dosage back to 150 mg to counteract the withdrawal effects first. Ask your Dr for some 2 mg Valium, (s)he won't give you much, maybe 10 tabs.
If your problem persists, or your Dr won't give you the Valium, I would suggest going for a walk before bed. Or your could try not even trying to sleep one night and go to bed earlier than usual the next.

I have ativan but find it depresses me, so hate to take it. I just don't quite get why the insomnia has surfaced after 4 months. These meds are an enigma.

I have tried the sleep restriction thing, however I seem to just get more depressed and frustrated.

HELP. With Sertraline, I can't ever sleep at night. Have taken Sertraline for about 20 years!!! Now on 200g. I also have CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue). Perhaps the combination of CFS and Sertraline have led to this miserable lack of night sleep.

I think my inability to sleep at night started slowly when I started Sertraline. NOW it's a nightmare. I can't sleep til 9 -10AM - wake around 5 or 6PM .-- whole day is SCREWED. I'm so upset over this.

I take Sertraline in the AM, doesn't seem to help. The thought of getting off this and withdrawal are horrifying to me. I've tried Benedryl, Lorazepam, even Melatonin at night and there is no real change in the inability to sleep at night.

I've tried pushing my going to sleep time ahead by an hour a day, but that didn't work either as I'd have a day when even staying up til 2PM, I'd wake at 6PM and the whole cycle would start again.

If anyone has any ideas, experiences please share. I'm so upset and desperate about this. I read all the comments and it seems some are lucky enough not to have this side effect). If only I weren't on this for such a long period, I'd be braver about trying something like Mirtzapine (helps a friend of mine and she is sleeping at night now).

Thank you, sorry this is so long

I'm really so distraught over all this

denise

Same problem, tried switching times of taking 50mg with no resolution. Tried Mitrazapine before sertraline and it was too sedating with insane hunger and sucidal thoughts worsened. Can't tolerate amitriptiline either, fluoxetine terrible night sweats, insomnia and vivid wakened dreams if that makes sense. Any advice? 

On 5/14/2012 at 1:04 PM, Nesty said:

It will get better trust me. My sleep pattern has definitely got a lot better the longer you are on the meds - do you take tabs in morning (recommended).

I know your post was from quite some time ago. Just wondering if you’ve been doing well and successfully sleeping now?

Ive been on setraline for 13 days. I started on 12.5mg for 8 days. (I have a super sensitive stomach and still was so nauseous) then bumped up to 25mg and have been taking that the past 5 days. For the past 5 days I’ve also been taking Trazodone to help with insomnia. I was previously getting 1-2.5hrs of sleep. Sleeping much better now. 

A couple days ago,  I opened up with a family member about why my anxiety was triggered so badly two months ago, which then lead me down this spiral of crippling anxiety and depression (past childhood trauma and guilt over poor choices in childhood) I’m certain that my anxiety could have been the major reason for the insomnia. I’m feeling like I am in a much better place now and wondering if I should stop the Trazodone to see how I’d sleep without it. Think it’s too soon? 

Do you think when/if I bump up to 50mg it could increase insomnia? 

Wishing you and everyone good health. 

Thanks!