Sign in to follow this  
americandownunder

Dcs (Direct Current Stimulation)

Hey all

I just finished a 6-week trial of Direct Current Stimulation (DCS) and thought I'd report on my experiences.

It was a blind placebo trial, so for the first three weeks, half of the participants got a placebo and half the DCS, and for the second three weeks, everyone got DCS.

I thought sure during the first three weeks that I was getting the real thing, because I could feel the electric charge through the electrodes on my head (it was a 20-minute session five days a week). And it had a side effect of extreme fatigue.

But it turns out I wasn't - I only got the real treatment during the second three weeks of the trial. And while it didn't cure me, I'd say the overall effect was positive - I noticed much less suicidal thinking, particularly towards the end of the treatment, and the dark thoughts I had seemed less powerful.

Of course, this could be due to externals as well - including some uplifting work I was doing at the time. And I had to come off of Lamictal in order to go on the trial, so some of the effect could be due to that - I definitely noticed more anxiety, which could well have been because I was no longer on the Lamictal.

But whatever it was, my friends and my therapist definitely noticed that my face was less drawn, I smiled more, and I generally seemed more up.

So I'd say it's definitely worth considering if anyone has access to it as a treatment.

Edited by americandownunder

Hey americandownunder, welcome back to DF!

I'm glad to hear about this positive experience of yours, mmm DCS, I've never heard of that, so shall this positive outcome continue with you on the long term?

r90

I don't think so - I can already feel the effects fading, about two to three weeks after treatment ended.

My psychiatrist, who referred me to the trial, said the patient of his who did the best on it only started to get good results after 3-4 full weeks of sessions - and I had to stop after 3. I'm going to see if I can get some more, but since it's experimental I don't know if I'll be able to....