I applied to SS last week, had my interview. I have such mixed feelings about this. Whenever I saw my statement (that SS sends out with your employment history/ benefit summary), I would see that disability amount and think, how could I live on that?!

I've had a hard time with my depression for a long time. The deeper issues have been kept at bay due to needing to work or go to school but I couldn't hold them off. Still, I kept thinking that I would have a different route out of my depression! ALL I had to do (this time around) was finish my classes (Grad school) and take a break! BUT then, I had to drop my classes and have to admit things aren't working. :/

The good thing is I have documentation of the help I have received over the long-haul of my depression. I got most of my records for SS together. Also, the social worker at my school, said my case is a strong one and that she had students in the past with similar cases and they all have been approved. She thinks it will be the same for me, even if it means going all the way through to appealing to a judge.

I am trying not to imagine how the back pay will help pull me up in so many ways- how it will help with overdue bills, transportation, support- because that is putting the cart before the horse!! BUT the thought that I could take care of me is a motivating factor that I won't give up right now.

I am so tired of being needy, alone and afraid all the time. I don't like living in TN- where I moved for Grad school- but realize that I have to get a little stronger and more on my way to recovery before I have any great plans to leave (drat!!).

Still- the long wait for this has frustrated!! That is normal but I don't like it!

Two things that SS shared/ did that is helping. The lady I saw for my interview told me: "Focus on the now." and she held her hands by the side of her face and eyes so she couldn't see anywhere but forward.

Another SS worker told me that I was doing everything I was suppose to and she had this reassuring manner that was very kind and helpful.

One last thing- I am proud of my ability to gather my information quickly. I made an 800 mile drive (one way) to get my records. I was fortunate that the agencies were able to pull them together so fast. I also reconnected to one of the kind intake nurses who was so helpful when I was a student in the 2000s. I feel stronger just being able to do this.

And now the wait begins... or did begin I should say!

I don't care anymore. I am flustered and frustrated about everything. I suppose no one has anything to say here to me about this. Fine.

Sorry but I aint been on here in like 3 days I see your in TN too.

Lets see I applied Sept 1?

Like a few weeks later, I was sent forms to fill out. One is your Function Report, & the other is for work history.

And Monday I have my Medical Eval appointment notice was sent Nov 2, . I wasn't given an appt for Mental Eval, I was told their in house doctor didnt feel the need for one since they had all the info from the current place I go to. So we'll see.

I'm surprised it's going so quickly, took my hub almost 3 yrs to get his appts, He filed in 06 and was just approved Nov last year. I will die if I have to wait that long I want out of here.

So your not the only one with plans and with the government it's always hurry up and wait. So just remain optimistic.

I don't care anymore. I am flustered and frustrated about everything. I suppose no one has anything to say here to me about this. Fine.

This is not a very active forum, in fact it's like a ghost town here most of the time so try not to let it upset you. If I were you I would do some searching around for a more active SSDI forum. Good luck.

JF

Like a few weeks later, I was sent forms to fill out. One is your Function Report, & the other is for work history.

And Monday I have my Medical Eval appointment notice was sent Nov 2, . I wasn't given an appt for Mental Eval, I was told their in house doctor didnt feel the need for one since they had all the info from the current place I go to. So we'll see.

I'm surprised it's going so quickly, took my hub almost 3 yrs to get his appts, He filed in 06 and was just approved Nov last year. I will die if I have to wait that long I want out of here.

So your not the only one with plans and with the government it's always hurry up and wait. So just remain optimistic.

Thank you for your reply. I do know it takes time. I am sorry for my second post- I am alone and it was hitting me hard. I did get out and grocery shop- at least I was able to talk with the cashier. At least there was conversation! I know I need to get out more but right now I know I can't commit to volunteering and have a lot I have to get done at home. Don't want to do it, but I have to!

I should be getting the Function Report soon. You got a Medical Eval appointment? My interviewer told me I probably won't see a mental doc but I didn't know about the medical eval. Do you have a physical problem as well as mental? Or does everyone get notified about a medical eval?

Yes, have to remain hopeful. Ugh. That sounds hopeful, huh? ;-) Thanks again.

This is not a very active forum, in fact it's like a ghost town here most of the time so try not to let it upset you. If I were you I would do some searching around for a more active SSDI forum. Good luck.

JF

Thank you for responding. I was very depressed when I wrote that. I live alone, am alone most of the time since I am not in school anymore. I know I need to get out more but many things conspire to keep me from that! (Ha, as if it were all ganging up on me!)

I did get out and grocery shop, as I said above. It does help to chat a bit, less alone and less isolated.

I applied in Aug. of 2008 and am still waiting. I have done everything asked of me and have had a hearing to fight a denial, that was in May of 2010 and I am still waiting! It is a long process!

I applied in Aug. of 2008 and am still waiting. I have done everything asked of me and have had a hearing to fight a denial, that was in May of 2010 and I am still waiting! It is a long process!

Yikes mom2pg. That has to be hard! Sorry to hear of your wait. I think that the process is so arduous and that in itself makes me nervous! But I am taking my SS interviewers advice (or trying!) and she said to focus on the now. Guess that means not the end results- which is ALL I want to do. Uggggghhhh THAT is what makes it tough though.

So, I will do something now to make me happy. And actually, I did it already today. I found turkey legs for Christmas. I don't have a holiday party or family to go to. Everywhere I looked here, had no turkey legs. Finally someone told me to check with the meat department and I did. They ordered them yesterday and got them in today, SUNDAY! Who knew you had to order them for the store to carry them! BUT I am glad. :)

Edited by Wild Child

Thank you for your reply. I do know it takes time. I am sorry for my second post- I am alone and it was hitting me hard. I did get out and grocery shop- at least I was able to talk with the cashier. At least there was conversation! I know I need to get out more but right now I know I can't commit to volunteering and have a lot I have to get done at home. Don't want to do it, but I have to!

I should be getting the Function Report soon. You got a Medical Eval appointment? My interviewer told me I probably won't see a mental doc but I didn't know about the medical eval. Do you have a physical problem as well as mental? Or does everyone get notified about a medical eval?

Yes I have physical issues too thats why I'm getting the medical eval today. But I thought I would get a mental eval too. My hub had to see both, idk how they doing things now lol

Yes I have physical issues too thats why I'm getting the medical eval today. But I thought I would get a mental eval too. My hub had to see both, idk how they doing things now lol

The lady who did my interview told me if they have enough information about your mental health, through the doctors you've seen, they don't need to have you see their mental health doctor.

P.S... I am on the east side of TN. What part are you? If you don't want to share, I totally understand.

P.P.S... Oh, I see you already said that about the doctors. Ah, well. Round and round we go...!

Good luck on your medical eval. :)

Edited by Wild Child

Im central TN, NE of Nashville.

As far as the medical eval, my spine kinda veers off to the side, which I've known for years. he wanted to see my balance and flexability. stand on one leg at a time... LOL I had to hold on to the table and still wobbled, walk on tippy toes and heels forget that

he noticed i had issues turning my head, and lifting my legs. but hopfully I get it this first time.

One valuable tip for anyone applying for disability in the Unites States: contact your U.S. Senator with the best record on constituent services. They will have case mangers who help get through the red tape of federal programs. They may send a "letter of interest" to the Social Security Disability Program to notify them that your case is of interest and will be looked at in a senator's office. That way, you know your case will receive more than the perfunctory look-over.

Your senator's case manager will follow up with you to see if you need help completing any forms, and they will be apprised of what stage your application is in, and what forms might be missing.

You'd be surprised how helpful and motivating this is!

Kim

My casworker at SS was also very helpful to the point, she did give some help on the application. Actually, your caseworker will help you fill out the app. Believe it or not, SS wants you to win your claim. My caseworker was there for me all through the process. I listed every provider (addresses and phone numbers) who treated me for 20+ years. SS obtained all the records and I didn't do a thing.

It usually takes 3-6 months to get a ruling on initial claims. You will have to follow-up every couple of weeks for the status. A GAF will be sent to you and to family members or friends you've listed on your application (everyone I listed got one). It's imperitive these are sent back right away. Depending on what info is in your MH records, you may not have an interview with the SS pdoc for evaluation. If you're not up to doing the application or doing the follow-up of your claim, consider hiring an SS attorney (see Attorneys in the Yellow Pages.) They will do all the work and can do the appeal if your claim is denied. In some states, there is a backlog of claims that will slow everything down.

The pay is not the greatest. It's based on the number of quarters you've paid into SS. I worked over 40 years and what I get is pathetic. After the mortgage and bills, there's no grocery money. In CA, I'm at the poverty level, yet I can't get food stamps. Go figure that one! My case will be up for review this or next year; however, I'll be rolled over to regular SS as I'm at retirement age. I'll also be able to start collecting on my IRA at that time, too, with no penalties.

Be patient yet proactive with your claim. Don't get frustrated if SS keeps asking for information. Whatever they need, get it to them a quickly as you can to keep your claim moving forward.

Sheepwoman

PS:

Involving your State Senator is a good idea if your claim is not progressing.

One valuable tip for anyone applying for disability in the Unites States: contact your U.S. Senator with the best record on constituent services. They will have case mangers who help get through the red tape of federal programs. They may send a "letter of interest" to the Social Security Disability Program to notify them that your case is of interest and will be looked at in a senator's office. That way, you know your case will receive more than the perfunctory look-over.

Your senator's case manager will follow up with you to see if you need help completing any forms, and they will be apprised of what stage your application is in, and what forms might be missing.

Kim

Thank you Kim. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to answer this. I have been very depressed even thinking of this process. I am scared of the whole process. I have a lot of fears already.

Do I write my congressman now or only if the process isn't speedy? I have already heard from them, saying they are waiting on several of my doctors. I know they are working on it.

As said before this is just the beginning. i hate it!

My casworker at SS was also very helpful to the point, she did give some help on the application. Actually, your caseworker will help you fill out the app. Believe it or not, SS wants you to win your claim. My caseworker was there for me all through the process. I listed every provider (addresses and phone numbers) who treated me for 20+ years. SS obtained all the records and I didn't do a thing.

It usually takes 3-6 months to get a ruling on initial claims. You will have to follow-up every couple of weeks for the status. A GAF will be sent to you and to family members or friends you've listed on your application (everyone I listed got one). It's imperitive these are sent back right away. Depending on what info is in your MH records, you may not have an interview with the SS pdoc for evaluation. If you're not up to doing the application or doing the follow-up of your claim, consider hiring an SS attorney (see Attorneys in the Yellow Pages.) They will do all the work and can do the appeal if your claim is denied. In some states, there is a backlog of claims that will slow everything down.

The pay is not the greatest. It's based on the number of quarters you've paid into SS. I worked over 40 years and what I get is pathetic. After the mortgage and bills, there's no grocery money. In CA, I'm at the poverty level, yet I can't get food stamps. Go figure that one! My case will be up for review this or next year; however, I'll be rolled over to regular SS as I'm at retirement age. I'll also be able to start collecting on my IRA at that time, too, with no penalties.

Be patient yet proactive with your claim. Don't get frustrated if SS keeps asking for information. Whatever they need, get it to them a quickly as you can to keep your claim moving forward.

Sheepwoman

PS:

Involving your State Senator is a good idea if your claim is not progressing.

I think I have a GAF included from my records of my University Counseling center- from November 2009 or so. I did get help in filing out the application, and I was grateful for that.

I have turned in copies from all of my doctors but for some reason, they are waiting on hearing from a couple of them still. I know they have my records but still need them from the doctor too?

I even have a letter from my employer when my depression became very bad, affected my job performance. At the time I was so upset I had to tell them...The letter tells them about my feeling suicidal. ,,, but this turns out to be the date (if I am accepted) SS considers me disabled.

Should I contact my congressman now or only if it drags out?

I am tired of worrying about me. I never wanted this but if I get this, i know it would help me get well. That is the feeling I have that makes me think it will all be okay. I am trying not to feel so afraid of the process but it is hard not to be. Sigh...

One good thing- even though I have few friends, one of my friends from my old hometown has offered to chat once a week to support me. :)

Kim

Does this also apply for appealing a denial. I just found out I had been denied, but it was my first application. I'm new at this benefits stuff, so do I need to re-apply or do the appeal? Thanks! **Kris**

Kim

Does this also apply for appealing a denial. I just found out I had been denied, but it was my first application. I'm new at this benefits stuff, so do I need to re-apply or do the appeal? Thanks! **Kris**

If your claim was denied, you do not reapply. If you don't know how to file an appeal (you have, I think, 60 days), contact SS for the information. Most people obtain an SS attorney to do the appeal for them.

For everyone, you can contact your senator if your claim is taking too long and I think they can also help with the appeal process, but I'm not sure.

Wild Child

I have already heard from them, saying they are waiting on several of my doctors

They maybe waiting for current assessments from your pdoc and tdoc. Normally, MH professionals send "cover letters" and not your MH records. My p & tdocs involved me when they wrote these letters. You might ask SS which docs they're waiting on so you can maybe call them and give them a nudge to respond.

Sheepwoman

Kim

I would do an appeal but I don't know much beyond that. Writing your congressmen would help too, I think.